Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 Yamaha Scorpio 225 review

Bike
    2001 BMW F650GS
    Quote Originally Posted by 888 View Post
    the second Scorpio: have had two mechanics try to get the idling right with no luck. The bike will not keep running when starting up, (choke on full). So the team at Filco have picked it up to have a crack....we'll see what happens.
    Had some serious problems with my scorpio's idle a month or so back. It was a bugger to start, and wouldn't stay started unless revs were kept above 3000 or so. Stripped and reassembled the carby with no luck, but bunging half a bottle of carby cleaner into the tank sorted it out after a short ride. Magic stuff.

Also, even when mine is working properly it doesn't like the choke being fully on when it's warm. I usually start on full choke, whip it down to half while it warms up, then take it off completely. If you find it's bogging down with full choke, try less.

Hope this helps.

Bike
    2013 CRF250L & 2007 KLR650

Scorpio Issues

What carby cleaner did you use? What I noticed with the wife's scorpio was that at any outdoor temp below 15c, the bike would not stay running (with full choke) unless a bit of throttle was applied. Turning down the choke shut the motor off immediately. The best part about the whole drama is that the bike is still under warranty; if the dealer can't get it to work like mine then they can keep it! And I'll get a DR650 in place, the wife can keep my scorpio.

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Quote Originally Posted by Felix52 View Post

Also, even when mine is working properly it doesn't like the choke being fully on when it's warm.
    No engine in the world would.....

Bike

Scorpio Saga Continues...

So we got the malfunctioning Scorpio back from Filco, and they reckon there were some metal filings in the carby. The start up problem is still there, however. At any temperature under 15c, the bike will absolutely not stay running (with full choke or without) unless the throttle is continuously blipped. Does anyone have any idea why this would be? When starting the bike with full choke, the bike will barely stay running (1-1.4k revs), and then die out- all the while sounding really ill. My other scorpio roars to life and keeps going no worries. Will this very annoying problem sort itself out as time goes on? Or do we have a "friday job" Scorpio? The guys at Filco reckon there is something still wrong with the carby.......ps anyone want to buy a virtually brand new scorpio- still under warranty.....great deal going!

Bike

Scorpio Saga Continues

The team at Filco will be picking up the Scorpio this week, and we'll see if the carby(?) problem can finally be sorted. I will be posting a video of the start up problem to see if anybody has any suggestions, but I hope it will be finally fixed this time around...it has been around five months already so I'm obviously a patient man.

Bike
    Steam powered rocking chair
    Quote Originally Posted by 888 View Post
    The team at Filco will be picking up the Scorpio this week, and we'll see if the carby(?) problem can finally be sorted. I will be posting a video of the start up problem to see if anybody has any suggestions, but I hope it will be finally fixed this time around...it has been around five months already so I'm obviously a patient man.
    I find with rg's one full choke only to start on frosty mornings or when it doesn't fire up second go on half choke. full choke only till engine fires then back to half, then off as soon as it will idle with out choke( 1-2min). The engine dies on full choke very quickly as mixture is very rich. Nice factory fuel filter , so I'd be interested where metal filings came from?

Bike

Malfuntioning Scorpio

We have two scorpios; the "good" one fires up immediately (with full choke) and I have to turn the choke down (now that it is getting warmer) so that it does not rev too high. It is warmed up and ready to go in about two minutes. The "friday job" scorpio will not stay running unless the choke is on full; and even then it only acheives about 1.5k revs, and after one minute it dies out. Reducing the choke only makes it die out faster, trying to start without choke is a waste of time. The only way to keep it going is to start it on full choke, wait till it starts dying, and then shut choke off and manually work throttle to keep it at 1.5-2k for another minute or so- then it is almost warmed up. The metal filings is an interesting story, as I had two other (fully qualified) moto mechanics clean/blow out the carb prior. The last mechanic was surprised when I told him the boys at Filco had found filings, as he definately cleaned the carby out. As I never saw what was pulled out, we'll never know whether it actually was filings or something else. But whatever they did, it solved half of the problem; as the bike finally idles at 1.5k after about twenty minutes of gentle riding. The remaining start up problem is still the issue- and I won't take the bike back unless it is fixed! I recommended they replace the carby.....

Bike
    Suzuki GSX1250FA, TGB 50cc moped
    Inlet manifold, or carb bushing leakage, causing engine to run lean.

Check spark plug colour - this may indicate it is running lean, although this may only be occuring at low throttle settings so it may not be apparent.

This occurs as at full throttle, you have low vacuum, so leaks are not really apparent. But at low throttle, or with choke on, engine vacuum is very strong, and only a small amount of extra air will cause extreme lean mixture.

You can look for this as follows :

Buy a can of ether - like "start ya bastard".

With the bike idling or as close as it will get to idling after a long run, spray all around the carb, and inlet manifold. Dont spray near the aircleaner Intake, just all around the carb and inlet manifold. A sudden increase in RPM indicates a leak.

This may be a manifold leak, or a dodgy bushing or seal on the carb.
    David must play fair with the other kids, even the idiots.

Bike

Scorpio Finally Fixed

The malfuntioning scorpio just came back from it's FOURTH visit to the mechanics. And now, finally, the bike does not die out within a minute of starting. What was the problem? Not exactly sure as the team at FILCO have not given any real details- one of the team briefly mentioned that they would change the carby with another Scorpio so I am assuming that this is what they did? Get ready for this one however; when last speaking the FILCO team, the sales person reckoned that the reason the bike was malfuntioning was due to "the humid air on the west coast causing problems with the carby". Yeah....Right. In any case, fingers crossed, hopefully we won't have to send any of the two bikes back to FILCO anymore and we can just start enjoying riding. Caution to all riders: beware the humidity on the west coast- you may have to change all the settings on your bikes to deal with it. Funny that this environmental situation has never been discovered before.......

Bike
    HONDA EXPRESS
    Fitted with Metzeler Lasertec tyres (choice!!) and flatter bars.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Copy of DSCF9336.JPG 
Views:	138 
Size:	299.0 KB 
ID:	218677  

www.PhotoRecall.co.nz

Bike
    Scorpio
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwifruit View Post
    I bought a wee 223 as a write off with the intention to fix (there was nothing wrong with it tho which is nice) and sell. Decided to keep it tho cos its so cool

Fitted with Metzeler Lasertec tyres (choice!!) and flatter bars.
    What brand/model bars? I want some flatter, straighter bars for mine but have been too lazy to shop around.

Bike
    HONDA EXPRESS
    Quote Originally Posted by Badjelly View Post
    What brand/model bars? I want some flatter, straighter bars for mine but have been too lazy to shop around.
    Ventura H4 27mm rise

www.PhotoRecall.co.nz

Bike
    Scorpio
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwifruit View Post
    Ventura H4 27mm rise
    Mille grazie.

Bike
    HONDA EXPRESS
    maggior parte del benvenuto

www.PhotoRecall.co.nz

Bike
    HONDA EXPRESS
    Bought another one, cos they are choice (once the terrible stock tyres and handlebars are replaced).

Heres a stock 07 wire wheel vs an 08 alloy wheel model with a gutted out exhaust. I'm filming from a third scorpio.

The stock 07 has the edge above about 80. I think due to the 08 not fueling right with the open pipe. Needs a bigger main jet perhaps. Not that anyone should look to do such things before REPLACING THE STOCK TYRES.

www.PhotoRecall.co.nz

Thread Information