Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: 2008 Yamaha Scorpio 225 review

Bike
    A fast one
    Why do people bash the stock tyres so much?

I've had the stock tyres on the bike since I've had it and I've never had an "oopsie" moment that I can attribute to the tyres. This includes driving in the rain.

Okay sure I don't get my knee down in every corner, but still, why are they so bad?

Bike
    HONDA EXPRESS
    Quote Originally Posted by The End View Post
    Why do people bash the stock tyres so much?

I've had the stock tyres on the bike since I've had it and I've never had an "oopsie" moment that I can attribute to the tyres. This includes driving in the rain.

Okay sure I don't get my knee down in every corner, but still, why are they so bad?
    What can I say.... People generally dislike being told their tyres are shit, I can understand that. You can take my word or not, it's up to you. I do know what I'm talking about!

The tyres Yamaha Scorpios come on are made of nylon. Think skateboard wheels. They offer very low levels of outright grip and almost no feedback. I have bought and repaired many of these bikes, all of them written off in the same way, front lets go without warning as the rider gains confidence and explores the performance envelope some more.

The low grip and feedback means if you do have a "oopsie" you're MUCH more likely to be on your arse. No warning. No squirm to let you know it's getting close to letting go. No squeak to say "i'm about to give up!"... and these nylon tyres by IRC give up much sooner than they should.

www.PhotoRecall.co.nz

Bike
    A fast one
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwifruit View Post
    What can I say.... People generally dislike being told their tyres are shit, I can understand that. You can take my word or not, it's up to you. I do know what I'm talking about!

The tyres Yamaha Scorpios come on are made of nylon. Think skateboard wheels. They offer very low levels of outright grip and almost no feedback. I have bought and repaired many of these bikes, all of them written off in the same way, front lets go without warning as the rider gains confidence and explores the performance envelope some more.

The low grip and feedback means if you do have a "oopsie" you're MUCH more likely to be on your arse. No warning. No squirm to let you know it's getting close to letting go. No squeak to say "i'm about to give up!"... and these nylon tyres by IRC give up much sooner than they should.

Hmm...I know what you mean. Perhaps it's time I get new tyres before they screw me over.

http://www.bits4bikes.co.nz/parts/Yamaha/2039.aspx

Shinko or Battleaxe?

Bike
    HONDA EXPRESS
    http://www.forbesanddavies.co.nz/pro...5_sport_t.aspx

476.5901 90/90-18H LASERTEC FRONT TL TYRE $150.42
    476.5969 110/90-18H LASERTEC REAR $178.02

Ring around the bike shops. If they suggest something else you're welcome to run it by me if you like, before buying. 022 6577596

Cheers,
    Allan.

www.PhotoRecall.co.nz

Bike
    A fast one
    http://www.forbesanddavies.co.nz/pro...5_sport_t.aspx

476.5901 90/90-18H LASERTEC FRONT TL TYRE $150.42
    476.5969 110/90-18H LASERTEC REAR $178.02

Ring around the bike shops. If they suggest something else you're welcome to run it by me if you like, before buying. 022 6577596

Cheers,
    Allan.
    Thanks for that, I'll definitely look into it. I'd imagine replacing one at a time would be a bad idea? Poor uni student.

Bike
    HONDA EXPRESS
    Do them both at the same time

www.PhotoRecall.co.nz

Bike
    Yahmama
    Do them both at the same time
    But I've only got one cock

Bike
    HONDA EXPRESS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC09793---Copy.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	202.6 KB 
ID:	263853   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC09797.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	473.8 KB 
ID:	263854   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC09812.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	357.6 KB 
ID:	263855  

www.PhotoRecall.co.nz

Bike
    1988 Honda GB500 & 2005 Hyosung Comet 65
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickchick View Post
    Infatuated much by Vaseline? Thanks dude.
    They sell speedo-cable lube in Repco; it's dark grey and way better than vaseline. Also, there's a website where they sell LED tail lamps. I got one and it doesn't break.

Terry

Bike
    1988 Honda GB500 & 2005 Hyosung Comet 65

sticky clutch

Quote Originally Posted by tingle View Post
    Morning all,

I'm new on this forum, go easy on this novice! ;-)

I have had my Scorpio for about 18 months. I really enjoy the bike and it's perfect for the work commute.
    However the clutch is giving me a bit of grief.
    When I use it on a Monday morning after it has been sitting unused for the weekend, it's like there is no clutch. When putting it into gear for the first time it jumps as if I hadn't engaged the clutch. After that first jump, it works fine. I have tried pumping the clutch lever a zillion times, but that makes no difference.
    Any ideas? The fluid level seems fine. I am far from being a mechanic, but hopefully there is an easy fix, else I will have to take it to the shop I guess....
    This is pretty common on motorbikes. The multiplate clutch is held tight by springs, and over a period the pressure drives out the oil between them and you get a jerky action at the first use. It's OK, just get used to it.

Bike
    ST2 - 916 - R1 - ST3

Clutch issue

I bought a Scorpio 225 new last year for my son to use commuting to college. He has now been through three clutch packs - all burned out - has anyone else had clutch issues with these?

Bike
    Scorpio
    Quote Originally Posted by graphic55 View Post
    I bought a Scorpio 225 new last year for my son to use commuting to college. He has now been through three clutch packs - all burned out - has anyone else had clutch issues with these?
    No. Mind you, I've managed only 15,000km in the last five years, which is not a big distance. Still, you have to wonder if your son is doing something wrong.

Bike
    2000 Honda Hornet 600
    Quote Originally Posted by graphic55 View Post
    Maybe he's revving too high before letting off the clutch and too slowly as well?

My father-in-law burned his way through a clutch that way... In my old car which I gave to him... AND I had to pay for the new clutch as he's got no money!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does.

Bike
    Yamaha Scropio

Post Re Scorpio workshop manual Hi I would like to buy a copy of that workshop manual

[QUOTE=Cloggy;1904888]I second all that.
    Done about 8000km on my wee Scorpio now and it's going strong. Only issue I had is with a leaking fork seal but this was replaced under warranty. I may have even caused this leaking seal myself by going up a driveway a little fast and causing the front to bottom out hard.

There are heaps of aftermarket parts available for these too if you know where to look. Here in NZ, Ventura make pack racks which I have fitted to mine. But in Indonesia where these bikes have been available for quite a few years now, there is almost everthing available. From fancy alloys to rear disc conversions, fairings, headlights, engine covers, different shaped gas tanks, fancy tail pieces with different tail lights, exhausts, luggage boxes etc. The list goes one.
    Have a look here if interested:http://tozzymodif.wordpress.com/
    Prices are dirt cheap too and he has just started creating some of the pages interesting to us in English.

I have also managed to find a workshop manual if anyone is interested. It's in Indonesian but it is well illustrated and from the pictures and associated text you can easily make out what they are on about and what the relevant specs, torque settings and adjustments are. Can email this to anyone interested. Just send me a pm.[/QUOTe
    hi I would love a copy of that workshop manual email bertt.griffiths3@bigpond.com

Bike
    Yamaha Scropio
    Hi I would love a cop of that workshop manual for the Yamaha scropio
    regards Brett

Thread Information