Thread: Any HD video camera gurus?

Bike
    Big, black and slow

Any HD video camera gurus?

I bought a JVC GZ-HD7 HD video camera a while back and have had a lot of trouble getting it working properly on my Mac.

Here's my set up:

Mac (new)
    Quicktime Pro (with MPEG-2 codec?)
    Final Cut Pro

The Camera is a hard drive unit and produces MPEG-2 files with a proprietary JVC header (.TOD). Following the instructions, I use Quicktime Pro to convert the source files into AIC format. This all works and I can then edit stuff.

However, here's the problem... When viewing media, any movement of the camera causes vertical lines to blur on the Mac. For example, a rope or the side of a house (weather board especially) goes completely nuts.

When I plug the camera directly into my HD TV, it's perfect.

I've tried bashing both the camera and the Mac but this doesn't work.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Finn.

Bike
    Loud and hoony
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    have had a lot of trouble getting it working properly on my Mac.
    ...It just works.

It is preferential to refrain from the utilisation of grandiose verbiage in the circumstance that your intellectualisation can be expressed using comparatively simplistic lexicological entities. (...such as the word fuck.)

Remember your humanity, and forget the rest. - Joseph Rotblat

Bike
    Big, black and slow
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikkel View Post
    ...It just works.

Actually, tried it on the PC as well. Same problem made worse by inferior quality of resolution, Wundows and poor processing power.

Bike
    Loud and hoony
    Actually, tried it on the PC as well. Same problem made worse by inferior quality of resolution, Wundows and poor processing power.
    Then I'm afraid I have run out of ideas. Does JVC not have a hotline or some other waste of time that will increase your frustration while getting you nowhere?

Anyway, so the issue you have when watching the videos on your Mac is happening while the videos are being played back from the camera - which you move ever so slightly? Sounds like a poor connection somewhere - what interface is there between computer and camera?

Otherwise, follow the engineers first rule - if at first it doesn't work, bash it. If it still doesn't work - bash it harder, it'll need replacing anyway.
    It is preferential to refrain from the utilisation of grandiose verbiage in the circumstance that your intellectualisation can be expressed using comparatively simplistic lexicological entities. (...such as the word fuck.)

Remember your humanity, and forget the rest. - Joseph Rotblat

Bike
    None
    Speaking on this matter, does anyone know any good free-ware apps for editing and converting HD footage?

-Indy
    Hey, kids! Captain Hero here with Getting Laid Tip 213 - The Backrub Buddy!

Find a chick who’s just been dumped and comfort her by massaging her shoulders, and soon, she’ll be massaging your prostate.

Bike
    All of them
    Quote Originally Posted by Indiana_Jones View Post
    good free-ware apps
    Tui make some.

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    Tui make some.
    Choice bo!

HAW HAW HAW

-Indy
    Hey, kids! Captain Hero here with Getting Laid Tip 213 - The Backrub Buddy!

Find a chick who’s just been dumped and comfort her by massaging her shoulders, and soon, she’ll be massaging your prostate.

Bike
    None, sold.
    I bought a JVC GZ-HD7 HD video camera a while back and have had a lot of trouble getting it working properly on my Mac.
    Trademe the bitch and buy one of these - while noting that (apparently) nobody can make 1080i actually work properly, but that I've shot loads of 720p footage and never had a problem. Works perfectly on a mac - you don't even need to install drivers.

Dave
    Signature needed. Apply within.

Thread Information