Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cordura Vs Leather

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Suney
    Could you give me some more info on oversuits.
    Currently in the market for a good jacket and I was going to get cordura but the idea of leather + oversuit for rain has inspired me
    DON'T buy a one-piece suit - it's like being a 'boil in the bag' chicken, if there's even the slightest hint that somewhere in the world there's some sunshine.
    I used to have one, and while it kept 100% of the moisture out, it also kept 100% of the heat (and resultant perspiration) in. Horrible, it were...

Now I wear a pair of nylon Motoline trousers, which are made for bike riders, so they are easy to put on over boots and leathers, have snaps on the lower leg, and elasticated waist which is high in the back. They also roll up small so I carry them in my bag all the time. Don't need a jacket, but when I used to wear leathers I wore a cheap nylon/PVC jacket I bought from Doyles. Lovely it were - all bright green and purple, to match the pants. And it wasn't made for bikes, so it was restrictive, and not particularly waterproof after the first 10 or so wearings, especially when the zip blew out.
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John, saying this is what vifferman said/meant

(re:leather) When it comes to hitting the tarmac, no thanks!

I didn't like it, at all, at all....

Quote Originally Posted by John
    I referr to your title in this case; "That's MISTER Fwit to you"

(PT)
    No, it's not (re:leather) - it's (re:Crashing). No thanks to hitting the tarmac.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FEINT
    When it rains, and it rains quite often in Auckland, most of you guys wear leather and have wear waterproofing plastic over the leather? And your work clothes underneath the leather?
    Despite it raining a lot in D'Auckland, I rarely have to wear waterproofs when commuting. I wear my business shirt (and a tie ) under my jacket, and nothing under my leather pants, then get changed at work in the shower or disabled toilet (seeing as how I'm disabled). That's a laugh too - when we refurbished our offices, we put in a large disabled toilet, but we're on the second floor, and there's no way people in wheelchairs can get upstairs to use the toilet!

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    2001 Yamaha FAZER 600S
    -2 here at the moment and I`m currently wearing both! Got a Yoko cordura jacket(best you can get in europe,Finnish firm)with body armour and my summer leather underneath.Always wore leather until I got the Yoko,now much prefer the fabric,main difference is it`s a lot warmer,with the leather I`d usually have something else over the top or several layers underneath.Yoko`s fine on it`s own until about zero degrees and even then it does a great job but with the leather underneath I feel warm as opposed to "not cold".

Bike
    fire breathin ginja ninja
    k, I'm gonna have to stick my ore in here and ask a really *dumb* question that's been bugging me for ever.

Is cordura a brand name, or the name of the material?

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bugjuice
    k, I'm gonna have to stick my ore in here and ask a really *dumb* question that's been bugging me for ever.

Is cordura a brand name, or the name of the material?
    Brand name. It's actually nylon, I think. nO wait - that's a brand name too?
    Like Kevlar.
    But leather's not a trademark.

My "Cordura" and "Kevlar" and Leather Teknic jacket is actually made of "Power Skin" (100% nylon) and Keprotec and cowmoo.
    And dirt.
    And RoadSpooge™ and Scotchgard™.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    2008 Street Bob
    Personally I prefer not to hit the termac at all, but I've had the dis-pleasure of coming off my bike both with a leather jacket and with a Cordura padded jacket, and the cordura wins hands down, granted I didn't slide, but the padding stopped me from getting hurt. The leather jacket afforded me no padding and I really bruised my elbows and shoulder.

I use my leather jacket for weekend rides and my cordura jacket for commuting.
    I ride the dirt, I ride the tide
    I search the outside, search inside
    I know I'll always burn to be
    Remind me of what left this outlaw torn
    ~ The Outlaw Torn (Metallica: Load 1996)

Bike
    fire breathin ginja ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by vifferman
    Brand name. It's actually nylon, I think. nO wait - that's a brand name too?
    Like Kevlar.
    But leather's not a trademark.

My "Cordura" and "Kevlar" and Leather Teknic jacket is actually made of "Power Skin" (100% nylon) and Keprotec and cowmoo.
    And dirt.
    And RoadSpooge™ and Scotchgard™.
    lmao.. thanx for clearing that up. I've got a 2pce material suit (Motoline jacket and Teknic pants), so wondered if that material had a general name, or what.. Anyhoo, I'll be buyin a 1pce leather soon, so all pure cowmoo

Bike
    Ducati M750/ MotoFXR
    Quote Originally Posted by moko
    -2 here at the moment and I`m currently wearing both! Got a Yoko cordura jacket(best you can get in europe,Finnish firm)with body armour and my summer leather underneath.Always wore leather until I got the Yoko,now much prefer the fabric,main difference is it`s a lot warmer,with the leather I`d usually have something else over the top or several layers underneath.Yoko`s fine on it`s own until about zero degrees and even then it does a great job but with the leather underneath I feel warm as opposed to "not cold".
    True, but its the Thinsulate (or similar) lining in the synthetic jacket that makes them so warm. Leather on its own is warmer than synthetic on its own. Proven by taking the liner out of the synthetic jacket on a hot day- it then becomes cooler than leather. Also if you strike a shower of rain on a hot day with the liner out you feel just how much cold comes through the outer layer of a synthetic jacket.

SOOooo, if you get leathers with no permanent insulation and a removeable thermal liner you should in theory be able to be only slightly hotter on hot days, and actually warmer on cold ones. I'll let you know, the leathers I've ordered through WildcatLGFs thread are going to have removable thermal liners in the jacket and the pants. Of course the leathers still shouldn't be as water proof, but then my old leather jacket has so much snow seal in it that the water only ever gets through the seam at the shoulders- it has a 'turned in' seam rather than a 'flat' seam, so the water just channels through. My Teknics jacket has always leaked at the zip, and now leaks at the shoulders- I'm going off synthetic in a big way!
    My daughter telling me like it is:
    "There is an old man in your face daddy!"

Thread Information