Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 8 more hours of polishing

Bike
    Bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    If you choose to polish it you are committing to maintain it.
    Yep.... fuck that

Be alright if it wasn't one of the crappiest jobs around... Definitely prefer to have things plated these days, wipe with a damp rag, maybe even splash a little CRC about for corrosion resistance, job done.

Bike
    Africa Twin DCT.
    Quote Originally Posted by imdying View Post
    Polished stuff is a pain if it's not lacquered. The only people that thing raw polished alloy is easy to keep clean are people with pretty low standards.
    I must have low standards then.

Rain and gravel roads did take the shine off though.

Shine on

Bike
    2002 YZ426F and 1982 xr 100
    Nice one TLDv8 ..
    if you think life is 2 short , get a taller one
    Fatboy Racing
    yamahawk racing enterprizes
    IM DAM SEXY racing

Bike
    Bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by TLDV8 View Post
    I must have low standards then.
    I'm not sure how you get that from a few glamour shots? You're saying it's wipe with a rag easy to keep it in photo standard condition?

Bike
    NC30
    I'm not sure how you get that from a few glamour shots? You're saying it's wipe with a rag easy to keep it in photo standard condition?
    It's really not that hard, are you sure you are using polish and not toothpaste?

Bike
    Bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by mark247 View Post
    It's really not that hard, are you sure you are using polish and not toothpaste?
    Cleaning hubs behind large discs, and inside nooks and crannies can often be a pain in the arse, and given the frequency that you need to do it, assuming you actually ride the bike, that makes it impractical... assuming you want it to look properly polished, and not some second rate 'quite shiny' finish. Depends on what your standards are I guess, but to me a second rate polishing job looks crap. I am of course talking about polished parts, and not the almost brushed type finish that you've achieved. Thus the love for chrome or nickel plating.

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Here's a useful site I've bookmarked for my next polishing marathon.
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    Bikes!
    There's some good shit on that site

Bike
    NC30
    Cleaning hubs behind large discs, and inside nooks and crannies can often be a pain in the arse, and given the frequency that you need to do it, assuming you actually ride the bike, that makes it impractical... assuming you want it to look properly polished, and not some second rate 'quite shiny' finish. Depends on what your standards are I guess, but to me a second rate polishing job looks crap. I am of course talking about polished parts, and not the almost brushed type finish that you've achieved. Thus the love for chrome or nickel plating.
    With only a few hours spent on each piece on my front end and doing it all by hand, I wasnt expecting a perfect finish first time. But from what I have learnt from other bits and pieces of metal i have polished, once you have them to the point where they are infact "very shiny" it is not hard to keep them at that. The hardest part is getting it to the point in the first place, which i obviously havent acheived yet on my forks and wheel. A bit more elbow greese and I'm sure will be a bit closer to that.

Bike
    3 ornaments
    You keep quoting chromeing everything, chrome is so exspensive.Give the guy credit for sitting down with autosol for 8 hours instead of giving it to me and getting it done for $100. And nothing looks better than doing it yourself.

Bike
    Bikes!
    The hardest part is getting it to the point in the first place
    Definitely agree with that. Have a squiz at that page that was linked, much of the work can be pushed off onto machines

Quote Originally Posted by bucket boy View Post
    You keep quoting chromeing everything, chrome is so exspensive.
    Expensive, adds weight, looks like a prostitutes makeup if done overboard, etc etc, plenty of reasons to avoid it also. All I'm saying is that polished alloy parts are a pain in the arse to maintain on a bike that's actually used, and that having something electroplated generally reduces maintenances to a wipe with a damp cloth and a quick buff to remove water marks. Personally, I prefer a brushed alloy finish on bikes that are actually used... sure it still needs to be maintained, but the redo times are minimal in comparison (takes a lot longer to notice the oxidisation) and redoing it only involves a scrub with the right pad.

Give the guy credit for sitting down with autosol for 8 hours instead of giving it to me and getting it done for $100.
    Why? He doesn't need me sucking on his cock telling him what sort of job he's done, he's got eyes you know.

And nothing looks better than doing it yourself.
    Well, no, nothing gives people with a DIY disposition more satisfaction than having done it themselves, but that doesn't affect the quality of the resultant work

Bike
    2016 GSXR 1000

oh dear, wot have I done

It sounds like I have made life that much harded for myself lol
    I have a product called 'Glisten PC' it's a 2 pot clearcoat uv proof
    made for alloy and chrome
    free image host
    free image host
    Last edited by Chocky; 14th March 2009 at 21:38. Reason: learning to do pics

Bike
    NC30
    Quote Originally Posted by Chocky View Post
    It sounds like I have made life that much harded for myself lol
    I have a product called 'Glisten PC' it's a 2 pot clearcoat uv proof
    made for alloy and chrome
    free image host
    free image host
    It's painted? Looks pretty good to me!

Bike
    2016 GSXR 1000
    It's painted? Looks pretty good to me!
    not yet havent got that far, I'm still pulling things off-turps and a toothbrush-
    wash-put back on-pull off next bit....ad nauseam....etc..
    .8 fuc#n months later.... fuc#n road grime....

Bike
    Bikes!
    Naw, not too hard on yourself... it'll stay like that for ages if you never ride it

Thread Information