Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Newbie from UK

Bike
    SV650SK3
    hmm I had no idea that DVT was helped by dehydration. Thanks for that info.

Bike
    Trumpton triple
    Quote Originally Posted by chris
    Unless you really really need your household furniture and bikes it may be better to sell them in the UK and just ship your personal effects over.
    My advice would be not to sell all your stuff. Not unless you're super-financially organised and can put aside a pot of dosh that you'll exclusively use to buy up what you need once you're here.

We sold everything but a bare minimum before we came out here, and 2 1/2 years later we're still missing quite a few bits of furniture and stuff, just because there never seems to be the ready cash to buy them. For example, my stereo speakers just seemed a bit big to ship, so I sold them. I still haven't bought a replacement pair.

You'll never get back anything like as much as you paid for stuff either, so my advice would be to ship everything (with a few exceptions). A container seems to be the way to go.

Bike
    .......?
    Quote Originally Posted by moggy
    I've just had a quote from PPS which seems quite reasonable.
    Total not exceeding 500 cubic feet Door to
    Door.................................... GBP£2055.00
    Any additional volume chargeable pro rata.

IF YOU HAVE THE SOLE USE OF A 20 GENERAL COANTAINER (STC 1050 CUBIC FEET ) DOOR TO DOOR £3273.00

Personally, I reckon that there is no chance whatsoever of all your stuff going in 500 cubic feet, especially with the possibility of 2 or 3 bikes! Shared containers are OK if you are not bringing much stuff, but what happens when it has to be split between 2 containers for example? My advice is to get your own container. 500 cubic feet is less than half the capacity of a 20' container!

Bike
    Super Adventure 1290s, Bonnie T214
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerous
    Send BiffBaff a p/m and ask him, they just move over a few months ago.
    That's me. Hellooooo :spudwave:

Yeah send me a PM and I'll tell you all I know. Who to bribe, how many camels it'll cost you etc etc.

Medicals - about 55 pounds each (note - no pound sign on my keyboard!). But I guess this depends on local market forces.

Visa applications:
    Me - Work to residence (although I passed on points, this way was easier)
    Ms Biff - Work visa
    Master Biff - Study Visa
    Ickle Miss Biff - Visitors Visa

Total cost, approx 700 pounds (who said 2k pounds!!!!!!?? Shit, they saw you coming!!). But things change all the time, so keep a constant eye on the immigration web site.

About 3 days to complete the necessary paper work etc.
    From start to finish our application took less than 2 months from submission of our application forms.
    Approx 2k pounds to ship a 20 foot container out here.

All our visas are valid for 30 months at which stage we should achieve residency as my job qualifies my family and I to residence under the skills shortage category. Wombat Hurlers are in short supply here, especially ones of my calibre.
    This weeks international insult is in Malayalam:

Thavalayolee
    You Frog Fucker

Bike
    SV650SK3
    2K?? what company did you use, that is a lot better than I have found so far
    I was thinking about going straight for residency as I should have more than enough points, that might be why I am being quoted as taking longer and maybe why it costs more, though ther person who told me that also took children so that might have bumped it up.

Bike
    03 Suzuki SV650s
    Hi Moggy, I am also a new member (today) and ride an 03 sv650s which I've had for four months and love it.
    For rentals see Coromandel Adventures www.coromoto.co.nz I hear they hire SV's. Also see motorbiketours.co.nz - I think they are Christchurch based??
    All the best with your residency app so you can come and enjoy riding here!

Bike
    Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    Quote Originally Posted by bkr
    Hi Moggy, I am also a new member (today) and ride an 03 sv650s which I've had for four months and love it.
    For rentals see Coromandel Adventures www.coromoto.co.nz I hear they hire SV's. Also see motorbiketours.co.nz - I think they are Christchurch based??
    All the best with your residency app so you can come and enjoy riding here!
    Hey there Moggy. Welcome aboard.

I was going to recommend these guys as well. They are a little out of the way to get there. You can find them on the East coast, just out of Whitianga...shit, hope I spelt that correctly, but are nice folk. Some friends and myself used them for a trip to the coromandel coast a while ago. All gravel roads so our road bikes were a little unsuitable. They were excellent to deal with.

All the best for the shift.

Bike
    2K?? what company did you use, that is a lot better than I have found so far
    I was thinking about going straight for residency as I should have more than enough points, that might be why I am being quoted as taking longer and maybe why it costs more, though ther person who told me that also took children so that might have bumped it up.
    We used Crown, but we received a similar price from Allied Pickfords. I guess it depends on where you are in the UK and the travelling distance from the point of collection to Portsmouth. Well, that;s where our container boarded its first ship.

There's a points calulator on the immigration website. If what I hear is true, it's been a very long time since it's been as easy for a Brit to get into NZ, particularly using the points system. There's also a clear pricing schedule on the web site.

Thavalayolee
    You Frog Fucker

Bike
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by Biff Baff
    We used Crown.

Sever
    Now and forever
    you're just another lost soul about to be mine again
    see her, you'll never free her
    you must surrender it all
    And give life to me again
    Disturbed - Inside the Fire

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by alucard_draken
    I know, I know. Sorry for mentioning their name,and yes they forked us around too. Nowhere near the crap that you experienced though.

Sorry - here, have some valium.

Thavalayolee
    You Frog Fucker

Bike
    Sold

Hi Moggy

If you do get up to the Coromandel Peninsula to see those bike hire people, send me a PM about your travel arrangements. We have a beach house about 30 minutes' ride from there and would be very happy to extend some hospitality. From tomorrow for 2 weeks, we have a member of the UK Honda Blackbird website staying up there on his honeymoon!

Geoff

Bike
    SV650SK3
    thanks for the offer I appreciate it, though it is mainly the south Island that we are going to explore, though I would love to see Rotarua so, there may be a couple of days on the North Island.

At the moment erm, dare I say it we are now considering hiring a camper van as we want to see all the rural bits and don't want to be tied down to a schedule of booked hotels.

Bike
    none
    Be warned now, Rotorua smells a bit odd for a while till you get used to it.
    Lots of fun though.

Sever
    Now and forever
    you're just another lost soul about to be mine again
    see her, you'll never free her
    you must surrender it all
    And give life to me again
    Disturbed - Inside the Fire

Bike
    SV650SK3
    Quote Originally Posted by alucard_draken
    Be warned now, Rotorua smells a bit odd for a while till you get used to it.
    Lots of fun though.
    lemme guess sulphur? Should be fine, lived in Bedford for a few years with the gloreous odour of sulphur in the air from the brickworks

Bike
    GSXR600K3
    lemme guess sulphur? Should be fine, lived in Bedford for a few years with the gloreous odour of sulphur in the air from the brickworks
    Just down the road, I'm in Milton Keynes. Small world, innit.

Thread Information