Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Heat pumps?

Bike
    Best Bitza Bucket 2008 BoB
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    Anybody know anything about the heat pumps that double as a hot water cylinder as well? The theory is during summer you can use the heat pumped out of your house to heat the hot water!

Sounds good to me as i want a heat pump - but I also desperately need a new HW cylinder.
    You can buy heat pump hot water cylinders but they don't use rejected heat from the house, they use an outdoor condenser similar to a Air Conditioning unit.
    They're a pretty enegry efficient thing but the limitations of size and the refrigeration process means achieveing water temps of 55c generally requires supplementary electric heating.
    You could build one though, it would be quite an Exercise in engineering and would only really be feasible in summer as the condenser would be taking the heat energy from the air which means it would blow cold air 24/7. Controls for that would be the expensive part.

Bike
    CBR600F
    Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    Last guy Daikin - came, measured each wall, checked insulation, measured windows and entered that along with the aspect, number of lights, size of TV, other IT kit, number of people normally in the room etc etc etc into a application to properly calculate the heating / cooling needs.

He was also the only one who came with literature for us to read / keep and gave a written quote (others were verbal only).

He was more expensive (about 15%) more than the others - but guess who got our business.
    That's so bloody typical innit? We take exactly the same attitude - the company that gives a more professional service gets our money every time, even if they are more expensive.

I ant bling you as thanks (fucken infractions) - so someone lay a green on him for me.
    Done
    "I's no' a bobike (motorbike) - i's a scooter!" - MsKABC's son, aged 2 years.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Just out of interest Tank, what W/m2 figure did the Daikin dealer end up with for the various spaces?

Bike
    A naked monster - just like me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sully60 View Post
    Just out of interest Tank, what W/m2 figure did the Daikin dealer end up with for the various spaces?
    6kw to cover the lounge (thats what goes in next week)

2.5 or 3kw for the bedroom. (not sure if I want one there yet)

8kw for the theatre room and downstairs. Will put in once we have had time with the first to make sure we like it.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    6kw to cover the lounge (thats what goes in next week)

2.5 or 3kw for the bedroom. (not sure if I want one there yet)

8kw for the theatre room and downstairs. Will put in once we have had time with the first to make sure we like it.

Sorry, how big is the lounge?

I take it they've recommended Hi Wall units? The only thing I can think of that you possibly won't like is the visual disturbance that one of these creates, otherwise you will loovve it, all year round!

Bike
    gsxr750 k8
    We had a simalar experiance with every dealer/installer giving us conflicting advice, if we had listened we would have ended up with half a dozen units scattered through out yhe house, we ended up going with 1 panasonic 8kw mounted in the living/dinning and it heats the whole house easy

Bike
    Yeah Baby!
    You can buy heat pump hot water cylinders but they don't use rejected heat from the house, they use an outdoor condenser similar to a Air Conditioning unit.
    They're a pretty enegry efficient thing but the limitations of size and the refrigeration process means achieveing water temps of 55c generally requires supplementary electric heating.
    You could build one though, it would be quite an Exercise in engineering and would only really be feasible in summer as the condenser would be taking the heat energy from the air which means it would blow cold air 24/7. Controls for that would be the expensive part.
    Here's an example of one that could use ducts, although even the outside ones coulds be adapterd to a spiggot, although I don't know about the reduction in air flow this would have. You could running duct to the cieling space of the house to get the warmest air

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Building-re...-201475190.htm

Efficiency is about 300% at 10 degrees to 400% at 25 degrees.

But this kind of stuff really F!@#ks me off. Its "Eco" bullshit. You pay up front to someone to save you money in the long run, and you end up save a couple of hundred dollars over 10 years because it costs so bloddy much to buy and install. Rheem, want $4000 for the same thing!
    Some things are worth dying for, living is one of them.

Bike
    A naked monster - just like me.
    Sorry, how big is the lounge?

I take it they've recommended Hi Wall units? The only thing I can think of that you possibly won't like is the visual disturbance that one of these creates, otherwise you will loovve it, all year round!
    Lounge is 8m x 8m.

My wife dosn't like the look - says it makes her think shes living in a hotel

Bike
    raptor 1000
    expect a big power bill, my only heating is a big masport logburner, downstairs in a 260m2 two story house with 10 ft stud height plus a ceiling fan to move the heat about, i wouldnt have a heat pump if you gave it to me

Bike
    Gone
    According to this site http://www.consumer.org.nz/topic.asp...summary&bhcp=1, a Heat pump w/ 4.4 kW heating output costs 36 cents/hour to run. That's pretty steep!

Bike
    suzuki GS500

Cool Heat pumps for hot water heating

You may be better looking at a solaer system as there is a $1000.00 subsidy either as a straight off grant or towards your interest costs see here
    http://solar.energywise.govt.nz/
    An average household installation is $2-3k depending on where you live
    There is also an explatation of heat pump hot water heaters on this site
    Good luck cheers
    The project bike builders motto: The perfect is the enemy of the good

GS 500 page includes wiki : http://www.gstwin.com/

Bike
    Suzuki A50
    Quote Originally Posted by breakaway View Post
    According to this site http://www.consumer.org.nz/topic.asp...summary&bhcp=1, a Heat pump w/ 4.4 kW heating output costs 36 cents/hour to run. That's pretty steep!
    I would guess that is iif it is running at full thorttle trying to bring the rooms temp up from real cold. I would say that would be closer to 5-10c per hour if the unit was a good one with its work load only matiaining the temprature...

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatjim View Post
    But this kind of stuff really F!@#ks me off. Its "Eco" bullshit. You pay up front to someone to save you money in the long run, and you end up save a couple of hundred dollars over 10 years because it costs so bloddy much to buy and install. Rheem, want $4000 for the same thing!
    That's a lot of money for something that's basically a fridge attached to a hot water cylinder! High COP figures though.

The same thing could be built out of parts for much less, of course you have to know what you're doing but it would be realistic to build something for half that cost(depending on how you account for the cost of your own labour). Using 'grey' water to preheat incoming water helps too but it requires a lot of digging ,plumbing and copper pipe.
    Yeah the eco marketing thing gives me the shits too, and hey guess what it won't go away any time soon, sheeple love to think they're doing their bit to save the planet and the wolves always end up well fed.

Lounge is 8m x 8m.

My wife dosn't like the look - says it makes her think shes living in a hotel
    Ha, a common complaint! The only way around that is a ducted unit (either in ceiling or under floor) just add about three grand to the quote and see what the missus says then.
    So they basically gone for just under 100w/m2, you must have good insulation and relatively little glass? I'd expect the Daikin dealer was pretty thorough as it sounded in your earlier posts so I'd expect the system was sized for peak loads on both modes (heating loads are generally substantially smaller than cooling loads). Inverter units are generally the most efficient running at around 75% loading so I'd say the 6kW unit would be just right. In saying that I installled a 5kW unit to a 100m2 ish house and positioned it in the lounge to blow down the hallway. It heats the whole house quite effectively, cooling on the other hand?

Quote Originally Posted by jimjim View Post
    expect a big power bill, my only heating is a big masport logburner, downstairs in a 260m2 two story house with 10 ft stud height plus a ceiling fan to move the heat about, i wouldnt have a heat pump if you gave it to me
    Of course it will if you're using it in the summer for cooling, you don't get something you didn't have before for nothing. When the units are on heating mode that's when the money is saved. Sure you can't beat the ambience of a wood fire and if you get free or cheap firewood well that's the clincher but if you have to convert from electric or gas then your heating bill will be smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by breakaway View Post
    Go find out what it costs to run a 4.4 kW electric heater for an hour.

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    We have a 6.3 kW Mitsibushi unit which is now quite a few years old. We just wouldn't be without it. Its great for helping to cool the house in summer, but is really under-specced for that task. During the coldest parts of winter we use our log burner, but in autumn and spring when we just need a bit of heating first thing in the morning and late evening, the heat pump is just perfect.
    Time to ride

Bike
    Bikes!
    A friend built one for his parents. No problem achieveing water temps, easy to build, works well in both summer and winter, thermostat controls it, no external controls except an on off switch for when yougo on holiday. I think it cost about $500 all up, but used a free second hand outdoor unit. Used a KillAWatt to measure the savings before and after, was well worth it.

Thread Information