Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Got an interview in Christchurch

Bike
    2011 ER-6N
    It will be LESS, considerably.
    Just fyi.

Bike
    2008 B King
    I realise that what i,m getting at is that i dont just want to take the first job offered what kind of money should i be holding out for

IE i aint going to work for 10 an hour if the average for my job is 20

Bike
    Triumph Thruxton / 81 Guzzi MKIII
    Hey Lily make yourself known to us when you are here. we are not all scarey the rumours aren't true.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by lv929 View Post
    And finally: if, just if, we should be so lucky, I might get back to you for advice on places to live round Christchurch: we have a reasonable sized house to sell in the UK and want a bit of garden/space
    'Moving to NZ' threads come up all the time so it's worth searching around for advice. We've been here four years and have a good sense now of the up and down sides of leaving the UK for NZ.

Finding a place with space isn't difficult but my advice would be to rent for a year whilst you get a sense of things. We've moved twice. Started in Rangiora (a small town north of the city) which was nice enough but the drive to work became a pain in the arse. We then moved to the city but the area suffered from boy-racer cocks driving like wankers and leaving rubber all over the road (not to mention f'kin' tagging everywhere). Finally shifted up into the hills to an area with a slow turn-over of houses (most of my neighbours have been here 30+ years), and nice views to the coast.

One small tip: The pounds you used to take home will soon be dollars you're taking home and I can bloody assure you it won't be 2.8 times as many. However, though you'll actually be earning less, ON BALANCE it'll go further. Some prices are so much higher you'll be in shock (mostly food) but housing is cheaper, car insurance is cheaper, there are less 'stealth' taxes etc. etc.

I love living here. I love my job (teaching). The people I work with are just very friendly, dedicated, positive, and supportive. We have a nicer home than we'd ever have had in the UK and a better work / life balance. Finally, though it's not fair to generalise about a people, we've found the Kiwis to be a very friendly lot indeed (can't drive for toffee though.... ;-)

It won't suit everyone and if it's not for you at least you've had an adventure.

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    Quote Originally Posted by Molly View Post
    though you'll actually be earning less, ON BALANCE it'll go further. Some prices are so much higher you'll be in shock (mostly food) but housing is cheaper, car insurance is cheaper, there are less 'stealth' taxes etc. etc.

I love living here. I love my job (teaching). The people I work with are just very friendly, dedicated, positive, and supportive. We have a nicer home than we'd ever have had in the UK and a better work / life balance. Finally, though it's not fair to generalise about a people, we've found the Kiwis to be a very friendly lot indeed (can't drive for toffee though.... ;-)

It won't suit everyone and if it's not for you at least you've had an adventure.
    Ha, I sent her a p/m with your profile as a person to contact... now its funny what you say about getting used to NZ, most poms love it as its more a quality of life style change than anything, but I do know some that couldnt handle it and went back home, the thing with them is they expected to much mainely in the job side of things.
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    Loud and hoony
    If we live there how long (in terms of years?)can we use our UK driving licences for? Is there an easy transfer to the NZ licence? Would we need to do it?
    I assume that the UK is under the same agreement with NZ that Denmark is. If so you can use your overseas license for a year following your latest arrival into NZ. Any trip outside NZ and re-entry is going to reset this period - weekend in Sydney included.

This is good since you can not accumulate demerit points on an overseas license I believe

However, some insurance companies will either not insure you or charge a higher premium if you haven't got an NZ license.

Getting an NZ license has become even easier than it used to. You now just have to show up at the AA and pay ~$70 to get a transfer - no test... at least if you are from Denmark (and we drive on the right mind).

Quote Originally Posted by lv929
    Should we think about bringing our bikes with us (we have 4 between us), or buying over there. E.g. I have a tuned up gsxr1000 with full system, and don't want to be attracting unwelcome attention on the road from the ;-) if its not appropriate
    In NZ the police is only concerned with speed - because speed kills

Given the current, for you very favourable, exchange rate I'd say sell any bike that does not hold sentimental value to you and then buy a newer model of the same when you get here

NZ has a very diverse choice of roads, not all sealed, which may tempt you to buy a non-faired bike with decent suspension travel.

Quote Originally Posted by lv929
    And finally: if, just if, we should be so lucky, I might get back to you for advice on places to live round Christchurch: we have a reasonable sized house to sell in the UK and want a bit of garden/space as we'll be bringing our 3 dogs
    It's lovely on the hills - however getting a big section there for your dogs is going to be rather tricky (and expensive). Plenty of lovely rural areas surrounding the city - still with ridiculously short commuting times compared to anything in Europe - where you could find your own little slice of heaven.

EDIT: Ps how does the non-compulsory insurance work?? It's a MAJOR crime in the UK not to be insured.....
    It doesn't really. And it should be here too...

Best of luck with the interview. I saw your occupation in your profile, may I ask what the job is? My partner and I came here from Denmark just over 2 years ago - and we really don't want to go back!
    It is preferential to refrain from the utilisation of grandiose verbiage in the circumstance that your intellectualisation can be expressed using comparatively simplistic lexicological entities. (...such as the word fuck.)

Remember your humanity, and forget the rest. - Joseph Rotblat

Bike
    GN250!!!!
    thankyou for the helpful comments!! The car is a BMW 330d so I guess tis not worth bringing....anyway, I did some digging around and found my dream car costs quite a bit less than it would cost me in the UK....

not sure we'll have time to get a ride in, but there's a VFR shop in Christchurch that hires bikes out, I remember from my previous attempts to organsie a trip here, so maybe we should factor that in..

EDIT: Ps how does the non-compulsory insurance work?? It's a MAJOR crime in the UK not to be insured.....

I have just moved here and I must admit that the non-comulpsory insurance issue really is a little unnerving. The one good things about it is that it has made me more aware of my driving as I do not want to have to pay out for someone elses car. I will be getting insurance for my bike for sure though. I think it is an individual preference whether you insure or not and you have to go with what you feel confortable with.
    We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year,
    Running over the same old ground.
    What have you found? The same old fears.
    Wish you were here. QWQ

Bike
    A slow old Bus.a.
    Blog Entries
    The money here isn't as good as the UK for professional services or IT, but you'll find that your dollar goes further here. NZ is a great place to live, I've lived in the UK (Scotland), and while it's a pretty place, this is a better place to live in my opinion.

Cars and bikes are cheaper. Housing (especially in CHCH) is cheaper. Plus, this is the adventure capital of the world...

Oh, the cops aren't tolerant of speeding - in the UK, 80mph is fine if you're behaving yourself - in NZ, that gets you a big ticket. But, less cops, less gatso's, and no big brother (CCTV is relatively unused here).

Bring the GSXR.
    It’s diametrically opposed to the sanitised existence of the Lemmings around me in the Dilbert Cartoon hell I live in; it’s life at full volume, perfect colour with high resolution and 10,000 watts of amplification.

Bike
    03 Aprilia tuono, 07 Buell XB12STT
    Quote Originally Posted by triple-bee View Post
    Hello all,

.... was wondering what kind of money i should be looking for i mean what is a good average wage in NZ. I,m involved in heavy plant machines dozers, excavators ect and most of my work is on the railways wich is very well paid in the UK.
    Don't really know what you will be paid in this area of work. Theres more rail track in a shunters sidings in the UK than the entire south island. You might have to look out side the box so to speak. I earn half what i earnt in the UK but have twice the life so it's really down to what you want. I have not been back to the UK in the 6 years we have been here and have no intention to do so. My wife has been back twice and hates the place and it was her that was unsure about our move.This is now my home. But i have met plenty of pommies who don't like it here and are going back and to be truthful they are usually whinging pomms who expected to much and came here with insuficient funds and didn't do any homework on the place. We were told the official statistics for pomms moving here were - out of every 100 that get visas only 50 get on the plane out of that 50 only 25 make it past 12 months and out of the remaining 25 only 15 are still here after 5 years. It's not easy getting the "wage" issue out of your brain but i worked 6 days a week for 22 years and thought that there was more to life than money and i found it here. I have heaps more spare time here and do 4 times the mileage i managed in pomgolia. If the money thing is a big issue for you then it increases your chances of not sticking it out. I was told to look after the wife when we moved here as it's the women that wobble and it's pretty much good advice. Kiwi's are great people and it's a GREAT place to live.

Cheers Tony

Man who murders other mans daughter can not expect to sit at that mans dinner table without the subject coming up.

Bike
    2008 B King
    Thanks Tony that,s what i was after, i have no problem with less money and will do any job i,m just as happy driving a cab as earning the big money on the railways. We are very fortunate as we should be mortgage free so my wage will just be for a few extras as i,m gonna put my feet up and steal money from the wife when she aint looking

Mikel we can,t say what the job is just yet as it,s a quite a senior position and we wouldnt want her new bosses reading all about it on the tinterweb, will happily tell all when we know whats going on

We have a date of the 19th and would be interested in meeting up with any one so we can pick your brains on housing, medical, cars, ect

usuall rules apply, Free beer for the duration

Cheers really helpfull

Neil

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by 426crasher View Post
    Don't really know what you will be paid in this area of work. Theres more rail track in a shunters sidings in the UK than the entire south island. You might have to look out side the box so to speak. I earn half what i earnt in the UK but have twice the life so it's really down to what you want. I have not been back to the UK in the 6 years we have been here and have no intention to do so. My wife has been back twice and hates the place and it was her that was unsure about our move.This is now my home. But i have met plenty of pommies who don't like it here and are going back and to be truthful they are usually whinging pomms who expected to much and came here with insuficient funds and didn't do any homework on the place. We were told the official statistics for pomms moving here were - out of every 100 that get visas only 50 get on the plane out of that 50 only 25 make it past 12 months and out of the remaining 25 only 15 are still here after 5 years. It's not easy getting the "wage" issue out of your brain but i worked 6 days a week for 22 years and thought that there was more to life than money and i found it here. I have heaps more spare time here and do 4 times the mileage i managed in pomgolia. If the money thing is a big issue for you then it increases your chances of not sticking it out. I was told to look after the wife when we moved here as it's the women that wobble and it's pretty much good advice. Kiwi's are great people and it's a GREAT place to live.

Cheers Tony

Well put Tony.

By the way, are you the Tuono rider who never waves back at me on the ChCh / Akaroa road??? I'm the portly chap on either a puke green Guzzi or a twin headlight Harley.

:-)

Bike
    08 Victory Vegas
    Quote Originally Posted by 426crasher View Post
    We were told the official statistics for pomms moving here were - out of every 100 that get visas only 50 get on the plane out of that 50 only 25 make it past 12 months and out of the remaining 25 only 15 are still here after 5 years.
    I would just like to add that an old Pommy guy I know that has been here for over thirty years once told me that some have to go back to England to wake up to the point that it is not perfect here, but is still better in the long run.

I know of two couples that went back home with their kids and now, low and behold they are back here in NZ.
    And this is what prompted his above comment.
    He reckoned he could pick the ones that would stay or go home and the ones that would come back.

Wagers are the big sticking point.
    And the price of some things.
    Trust me, it has got better with the Internet.
    Feel the fear and do it anyway

Don't confuse education with intelligence.
    There are alot of highly educated idiots out there.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by lemans View Post
    some have to go back to England to wake up to the point that it is not perfect here, but is still better in the long run.
    After three years we thought the adventure might be over. A holiday back and catching up with mates, a decent summer (ish) and an Isle of Man TT had us packing and heading back. It took two miserable f'kin' months to realise what a mistake it'd been. We were happily back in NZ within the year. Sometimes you do have to go back though so it was worth it really.

Bike
    2014 Triumph Daytona 675
    In my job, there would be no "going back" as I would have to quit and lose a very good job indeed.

Erm, if I get it!!!!!!

These are all really helpful comments, thankyou!!!!!!!!!!!

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by triple-bee View Post
    Hello all,

Just a quick question i have just started looking for a job for myself, just in case the wife gets it and was wondering what kind of money i should be looking for i mean what is a good average wage in NZ. I,m involved in heavy plant machines dozers, excavators ect and most of my work is on the railways wich is very well paid in the UK.

I,m not going to be the main wage earner as my misses has a very good job (here and there if she gets it) when i,m not on the railways i drive a cab as we have 3 of our own that we rent out.

Any info greatly appreciated, beer still on me when we are there

cheers Neil

That rat group looks promising as will prob bring me speed trip
    About $60k for an average qualified Joe Blow digger driver type to start. You'd probably get a bit more. Hours are long though.

Thread Information