Thread: TL1000s really really bad idle

Bike
    97 TL1000s

TL1000s really really bad idle

help well any ideas suggestions would be appreciated ..when you start her in the morning the fast idle doesnt seem to do any thing and if you go to the lights or an intersection sometimes she just puts out ...hmmm or seems to idle really fluffy like fut fut fut hm hard to explain

any ideas

Bike
    anything I can get my grubby wee paws on
    Quote Originally Posted by 2fellas View Post

any ideas
    dirty air filter?
    =mjc=

Bike
    '08 DR650
    Throw any error codes?

Bike
    El Bandito Negro
    I second this, and the 97 TL was well known for spitting oil into the airbox over the filter.

Drain it out, top up your oil and tell us how it goes. Oh, and there is a good mod so your crank case breather has a filter on the end and DOESN'T empty into your airbox. I'll look it up for ya

Quote Originally Posted by jim.cox View Post
    dirty air filter?
    EDIT : http://wotid.com/tls/content/view/27/51/ has a neat one, doesn't use a little K&N filter and saves the oil so you can put it back in the bike :-)
    http://www.tlzone.net/forums/tl1000s...-breather.html also explains it
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    Quote Originally Posted by thehollowmen View Post
    I second this, and the 97 TL was well known for spitting oil into the airbox over the filter.

Drain it out, top up your oil and tell us how it goes. Oh, and there is a good mod so your crank case breather has a filter on the end and DOESN'T empty into your airbox. I'll look it up for ya
    Easiest way to fix that is fit the later model (2001) oil return tank,bigger and filled with mesh.The problem with the idle could be many things from a fucked petrol filter (probably never been changed) through to TPS,i would be checking throttle bodies ie rubber caps on spigots,vacuum hoses is another to have a look at.2fellas i tried sending you that link but theres something wrong,dont know why it wont send as i can send emails to anyone else.Edit........Hollowmen has just posted up the link i was going to send,you will be able to get it in dealer mode from there.Good work Hollowmen.
    Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Bike
    TLS/R
    Been there, done the oil seperator mod, although for mine i just used some 1/2in (from memory) tube with a small filter on the end.. Larger tube, less velocity, oil doesnt travel - those were my thoughts anyway.

Make sure you check the spark plugs too, as the TL's like to dirty them, but if you have a good read on tlzone.net you will find plenty of information and more mods.. Get your credit card ready for a shock

Bike
    Africa Twin DCT.
    help well any ideas suggestions would be appreciated ..when you start her in the morning the fast idle doesnt seem to do any thing and if you go to the lights or an intersection sometimes she just puts out ...hmmm or seems to idle really fluffy like fut fut fut hm hard to explain

any ideas
    It depends how long this has been happening if it was ok at some stage beforehand.

You need to use the fast idle lever on cold starts so you need to check the cable and cam at the throttle body so it works to get 1500 + rpm.
    You then need to check/reset the idle speed.

Your 97 most likely has a recall ECU,you can check the numbers on Steve's website (The wotid link already posted)
    If it has not had the water temperature sensor moved from the radiator header tank (l/h side) you are going to be running on the rich cold start map anyway unless the ECU gets to see the resistance for 80C.
    That in itself can get some rough idling or stalling especially if it is being run slowly at start up cold (no fast idle)

In my very biased opinion most TL1000S problems stem from the owners forgetting they are up to 11 years old now and had a few bodgy bits from the factory
    You might want to also check the plug ends of the HT leads,if they are hard they need cutting back to where they are flexible or replacing on most bikes now.
    The lead screws into the plug cap and coil terminal so it is a easy job.
    You can also run the hotter plug as per the later TLS's

Your TL should when the starter is hit, turn one crank revolution from cold ( that sends the required sensor readings the the ECU)
    It should fire up on the second or third revolution
    It should then fast idle until you hear the rpm's go up another 400/500 rpm.
    That means the ECU has seen 80C so goes to the leaner fuel maps (the rev increase)
    Fast idle lever off,rpms drop to the set idle and you ride away with no drama.

It comes back to if this happened after running/starting fine before.

Bike
    97 TL1000s
    ok thanks for all that i down loaded the workshop manual ;last night i pulled of the tank all the fairings etc theres justt he engine and throtttle boddies there degreased everthing wirh water based degreaser cleaned everthing with a toothbrush so everything is sparkly clean ..checked the throttle bodies for cracked vachume hose etc and shes all good..i removed the flapper from the air box and all the redundent vacume stuff last night as well ..
    by the way yea my air box was full of oil the air filter is quite badly contaiminated as well so will replace that .the front clylinder had oil in the trottle body and was a heck of a mess hense the whole degressing episode i sprayed carb cleaner inside them both and wiped them clean taped over the tops and clenaed it all ..in fact the front throttle body was black with oil and grime
    in regards to the oil in the air box i was going to run some heater hose from the little air oil seperator to the back of the bike in the rear tray say and put a small filter on it would that be ok ?

Bike
    97 TL1000s
    oh yea it always started sweet even from cold it was never a problem ... i am running CR8EK plugs in her as well
    thanks i will do the plug lead thing as well ...i have a mecahnic friend ofg mine coming over and we will check the TPS and balance the throttle bodies as well ...any secrets there

oh cheers to you all thanks for the help so far

Bike
    98tls&rs250
    .i have a mecahnic friend ofg mine coming over and we will check the TPS and balance the throttle bodies as well ...any secrets there
    Watch this

and goodluck.
    It's just one of those days, where you don't wanna wake up,
    everything is fucked, everybody sucks,
    You don't really know why but you wanna justify ripping someone's head off

Thread Information