Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by rigley View Post
    I bet that tastes nice
    Much better on a hot day.

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    Quote Originally Posted by clint640 View Post
    Downloaded the Outdoor Atlas app plus the NZ topo add on yesterday to my Xperia Active & it all seems to work good. .......
    Will have to sort out a bar mount & power supply next. The phone is waterproof so case not required, will just have to remember to unplug the power & put the wee cap back in for rain/rivers. I think I'll take the roll charts also as I have a good lunchbox setup already for that.

Cheers
    Clint
    Good stuff with the outdoor atlas. Talk to that good lady of yours about creating a route file. Seems she had it well sorted for the MMMMM but she needs to create one as an off road rather than an on road one.

Just a though re cases for your phone - make sure you have a screen protector. Fair old amount of dust that accumulates on the screen that you need to wipe of occasionally so good to have the screen protected. Generic (cut to size) screen protectors at Dicky Smiths.

Cheers R
    "The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools." - Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Bike
    DRZ400
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    Much better on a hot day.
    That picture must have taken hours to find......... Great ginger bread/ ice cream sandwich though

Bike
    DRZ400
    Quote Originally Posted by JATZ View Post
    I can loan you my old 62cx including ram mount for the bar, and a 12v power cord. It's a veteran of a couple of dustys and is so easy to use even I can navigate with it.
    Thanks Jatz for the loan of you GPS last night, much appreciated

Bike
    F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by rigley View Post
    Thanks Jatz for the loan of you GPS last night, much appreciated
    Don't thank me just yet.....it might not work
    If you need help with it I'm pretty sure Rog has my ph number. You'll need to download the route file and then use mapsource (I have that on my laptop) to transfer to the gps

Bike
    89 GPX750, 06KLR650
    I see Trail Tech have a Bike computer with built in GPS now, wonder what mapping system they are using? They have also started this site for up/down loading GPS tracks http://ohvtrails.net/ which could be of use when planning that big trip overseas.
    Paul’s Adventure riding Photo’s

Latest photo's

Paved Roads are just another example of Wasted Taxpayer Dollars

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    I see Trail Tech have a Bike computer with built in GPS now, wonder what mapping system they are using? They have also started this site for up/down loading GPS tracks http://ohvtrails.net/ which could be of use when planning that big trip overseas.
    No mapping.

Just tracks.

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Another Garmin Vibration Shutdown fix....
    Same issue as I had with the old Legend HCX, it took longer to happen but now after a year and especially on the WR250R at higher revs the Map62s is doing the vibration shutdown thing.
    It's not the batterys, same as my Legend, it was not the batteries shaking about then either. It is the contacts from the back of the battery compartment to the circuit board.
    Picture attached shows the spots of the damage to the contact pads on the circuit board from the arcing.
    Fix as before is to solder small wires to permanently connect the contacts to the circuit board. When I did that to the Legend it never shut down through vibration again.
    Thankfully the 62s was a lot easier to open up than the legend was, just 6 small torex screws and your there, got a screw driver set from Jaycar to fit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Garmin62sArcSpots.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	275058  
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    KTM 640 Enduro
    Since the team navigational officer couldn't make the Dusty due to a broken ankle I bolted the 62s to the bars of the 640 & got a Jaycar 12V - dual USB socket adapter
    I soldered a feed directly onto that from my accessory relay, insul taped in the USB cable & stashed it behind the headlight.
    This worked ok at first but started to shut off randomly after a few days use, so I stuck a big blob of blu-tack around where the USB cable plugs into the back of the GPS & had no problems right through the dusty & all the way home. Having both the roll chart & the GPS made navigation a snap.

Cheers
    Clint

Bike
    Very Modded DR650
    This worked ok at first but started to shut off randomly after a few days use, so I stuck a big blob of blu-tack around where the USB cable plugs into the back of the GPS & had no problems
    Good problem solving. My Colorado also shuts down randomly when powered from the usb input, though mine seems more speed related as it doesn't seem to do it on rough terrain but will turn off very quickly once the speed gets over about 70km/h. The colorado socket is on top of the unit and my theory is that the wind pushing the cable causes the connection to drop.
    www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz NZ's dedicated Adventure Riding Community
    Forums, free GPS track downloads and much more. Now over 5700 members, are you one of them?

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Nice report on 12v-ing a 62s. No pictures though??
    I'm sticking with batteries myself and with the WR250R the terrain didn't matter as much as engine revs, long highway runs at high revs was worst for causing the vibration induced shutdown.
    My fix has worked, the 62s stayed on without fail and using the white 2000mAh Sanyo Eneloop Rechargable batteries it goes for at least 14 hours with backlight set to stay on as well.
    All batteries still had a heap of charge left in them when removed at the end of each DB1k day but on the DB1k I like fresh ones in to start the day with so changed them each night ready for the morning, though that didn't stop me from being late getting away to the meeting spot both mornings.
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    2002 KTM 640 Adventure
    Nice work Clint

Since Garmin changed the plug from the 5 pin round to the USB connector, there has been multiple issues with loss of power.
    The 60Csx I had for three years never once lost power due to vibration on the LC4. The 62s, although a marginally better? (depends on who you read review wise) also requires a new cradle different to the 60Csx....bugger.
    I bought a 62s with a four year warranty, thinking of re-mounting it to the aprilia but have to buy a cradle RAM mount from GPS City (cheap prices)
    I guess if the 62s becomes a permanent fixture, the hard wiring may be the option, but I know the eneloops last forever, so may go down that route for the time being.

Bike
    KTM 640 Enduro
    Quote Originally Posted by Transalper View Post
    Nice report on 12v-ing a 62s. No pictures though??
    I'm sticking with batteries myself and with the WR250R the terrain didn't matter as much as engine revs, long highway runs at high revs was worst for causing the vibration induced shutdown.
    :
    Just imagine the Jaycar dongle all wrapped in insulation tape with a cable sticking out either end

It was higher speed & revs that was shutting it down on the 640 too rather than rough terrain. I may yet make a vibration isolating mount a-la touratech as the 640 vibes are rather brutal & I will probably try mounting up my phone on the bars once the nav officer has repossessed her GPS.

Cheers
    Clint

Bike
    WR250R
    Just imagine the Jaycar dongle all wrapped in insulation tape with a cable sticking out either end

It was higher speed & revs that was shutting it down on the 640 too rather than rough terrain. I may yet make a vibration isolating mount a-la touratech as the 640 vibes are rather brutal & I will probably try mounting up my phone on the bars once the nav officer has repossessed her GPS.

Cheers
    Clint
    Once I repossess the GPS? Have you seen it recently?
    The road to hell is paved...

Bike
    DRZ400

Legend Hcx Mount

After a little advice regarding a decent handlebar mount for a Legend Hcx, currently using a push bike one but not ideal. Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Cheers

Thread Information