Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: GPS mapping and GPS units you use

Bike
    98tls&rs250
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    The zumo 550's size would on most bikes be a non-issue. It should be located where it can be easily seen and used. There's usually no room in a sportsbike "cockpit" for anything, including the OEM instruments, so that consideration is a bit of a non issue. A nice big easy to view screen comes with space considerations, I guess. Also adding to its "bulk" is the weatherproof mounting bracket. The two combined would probably force a sportsbike rider into having to sit on the pillion seat.

The great thing about the zumo compared to nearly everything else is its weather protection (you don't need to wrap it in cling film in case of rain or get some nutty drop-over cover that means you can't use it). Also a big plus is the easy use of its controls with a gloved finger.

Well the Nuvi fits quite nicely on the TL without inhibiting the view of the gauges. That consideration may be a non issue if you ride a bus, however for myself and others it is important. Personally I never saw the need to own a GPS in NZ, however in Europe it is almost a necessity. And I don't want that to mean I have to make the sacrifice of riding a sport-tourer.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    A nice big easy to view screen comes with space considerations
    Come on Hitch, You're getting lazy in your old age. You used to make this fun... They're both the same size screens (3.5") so your aging eyes shouldn't have a problem with the nuvi ... And while we're mentioning your lack of homework...

The nuvi 550 is waterproof... otherwise I wouldn't be recommending it. It is slightly larger than the other nuvis for this reason, however nothing like the Zumo. So as you would say, "so that consideration is a bit of a non issue." Altho it does point back to my comment earlier that the design is aged.

Yes true, the Zumo has nice big fat buttons. But is operating a touch screen that hard? I haven't had a problem with it yet, even with winter gloves. And altho I've never operated a Zumo, I would hazard a guess that you still need to utilise the touch for various functions? So again, another moot point.

Mate, when it's time to replace the Zumo I recommend you check it out, you may be pleasantly surprised.
    Last edited by 2much; 25th February 2009 at 23:31. Reason: talking to Hitcher - must check speeling
    It's just one of those days, where you don't wanna wake up,
    everything is fucked, everybody sucks,
    You don't really know why but you wanna justify ripping someone's head off

Bike
    98tls&rs250
    Quote Originally Posted by monchopper View Post
    I have a standard old pocket pc with a Compact Flash GPS that runs memory Map. Am I missing out on anything in regards to the Garmin range?
    Next time you come over to europe for a trip come by here and borrow mine, you can find out for yourself
    It's just one of those days, where you don't wanna wake up,
    everything is fucked, everybody sucks,
    You don't really know why but you wanna justify ripping someone's head off

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by monchopper View Post
    I have a standard old pocket pc with a Compact Flash GPS that runs memory Map. Am I missing out on anything in regards to the Garmin range?
    Waterproofness.

Bike
    Agent Orange
    I'm selling my Garmin eTrex Legend HCx on TradeMe listed tonight, about a year old, great unit but have just been given a GPSMap 60CSx so the eTrex is going.
    Have found it reliable and robust, no grizzles apart from smallish screen. IMO, small is good on the bike, don't want huge gadgets cluttering up my instruments.
    I'm using NZ Alpha routing maps on the eTrex, and have NZ topo maps (Freshmaps?)on the 60CSx. I find the less detailed Alpha routing maps easier to read (no contour lines, buildings,etc) and maps still have just about all gravel roads on, a lot of forestry roads as well, and most 4wd routes.

Bike
    02 Ducati ST4s
    I use Garmin Quest, Garmin Mapsourse and the Free NZ Maps

Bike
    F800GS

Thread dredge....

Right, I'm having some issues with loading routes onto MrsJ's map62
    I have saved the D.B.1000 route (a gpx file) and it appears to have loaded onto the GPS but I can't find it, I can't find anything in the manual about where it may have gone either.
    Also.... I can create a route on Mapsource (a gdb file) and transfer it to my 76CS, but try as I, might I can't get the same file into the 62

Any ideas ? Anyone ? chokie fish to the person who solves my problem

Bike
    2002 KTM 640 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by JATZ View Post
    Right, I'm having some issues with loading routes onto MrsJ's map62
    I have saved the D.B.1000 route (a gpx file) and it appears to have loaded onto the GPS but I can't find it, I can't find anything in the manual about where it may have gone either.
    Also.... I can create a route on Mapsource (a gdb file) and transfer it to my 76CS, but try as I, might I can't get the same file into the 62

Any ideas ? Anyone ? chokie fish to the person who solves my problem
    I have the 60csx, I will try and load it now and see if works...I thought it would be in routes right? let you know...

Bike
    F800GS
    BTW.... Geocaches load straight in off the website, she's buggered off to find one down the end of our street now

Bike
    2002 KTM 640 Adventure
    ok Jatz, it worked, loaded onto the GPS fine with the waypoints. BTW, are your routes full? Try downloading them to Mapsource, then save them in a file, load DB1K all four of them, and see if they are there...

Bike
    F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Waihou Thumper View Post
    ok Jatz, it worked, loaded onto the GPS fine with the waypoints. BTW, are your routes full? Try downloading them to Mapsource, then save them in a file, load DB1K all four of them, and see if they are there...
    Routes should be empty. she only got the thing yesterday and it hasn't left the house before now
    My Mapsource won't open the D.B. files, wrong format, they are a gpx, mapsource only acepts gdb ?

Bike
    2002 KTM 640 Adventure
    Routes should be empty. she only got the thing yesterday and it hasn't left the house before now
    My Mapsource won't open the D.B. files, wrong format, they are a gpx, mapsource only acepts gdb ?
    Naa, I downloaded them straight from the site, opened up in Mapsource fine....I didn't care what suffix was, it linked to Mapsource straight away.
    Route 250 V.1, Garmin GPS Database 164 KB
    File d/l successful? not corrupt?
    If it is successful, Mapsource tells you it has been transferred too....
    Sorry mate, not much of a help I suppose you tried all of those things?

Bike
    F800GS
    Naa, I downloaded them straight from the site, opened up in Mapsource fine....I didn't care what suffix was, it linked to Mapsource straight away.
    Route 250 V.1, Garmin GPS Database 164 KB
    Hmmmm

All I get is...."db1k-2012-route-250-V1.gpx" is not a valid Mapsource file and could not be opened

Oh yeah... one more thing.....

Bike
    2002 KTM 640 Adventure
    Hmmmm

All I get is...."db1k-2012-route-250-V1.gpx" is not a valid Mapsource file and could not be opened
    ok, then there is an issue with transfer or associating the files somewhere...Mine doesn't have the .gpx
    When you d/l it, just save to my documents and let the comp do the rest. Did you save it as a .gpx?
    I don't think there is a need, Mapsource finds it and the icon is associated with it. Was in my case.

Bike
    F800GS
    ok, then there is an issue with transfer or associating the files somewhere...Mine doesn't have the .gpx
    When you d/l it, just save to my documents and let the comp do the rest. Did you save it as a .gpx?
    I don't think there is a need, Mapsource finds it and the icon is associated with it. Was in my case.

Nup... giving up before I smash something
    How big are the route files ? the ones I have downloaded are only 89kb is that big enough ?

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    OK, just seen this thread, I have all the answers and Ryan and I have been making a kind of GPS FAQ video for youtube but I know the Jatz's are dial up peps so may not help much.
    PM me your land line number mr Jatz and I'll fix u up.
    The GPS Map62s is completely different to the Map60 when it comes to file transfers.

Basecamp is what you really need for the 62s... but I will ask what version of Mapsource you have anyway as it sounds like you may have an old version running?
    We are using Mapsource v6.16.2 for Zumos and Etrex legends and the Map60 but Basecamp for the Map62s and probably need that for some of the other newer units too.
    BTW Basecamp is a 100Mb download so when stuck on dialup it may be quicker to get someone up there to download it for you and ride over to get it on CD or memory card.

Oh and yes 89kb is the correct size for the 250point .gpx file.
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Thread Information