Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: GPS mapping and GPS units you use

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Ok again, had a second go with my 62s for an alternative and maybe simpler method but maybe not so reliable....
    anyway I usually turn on my Map62s and let it settle in before plugging in to the USB as I have had the odd corrupted file by just plugging it in to USB while it was turned off.
    so try this...

1 turn on the Map62s
    2 once it has finished booting up plug in to USB.
    3 If the PC asks if you want to open the folder Garmin GPSmap 62s then say yes.
    If it didn't do that automatically then do it manually.... go to the 'Start Button' on the task bar, 'My Computer', then find the 'Garmin GPSMAP 62s and open it.

You should now have the Garmin folder open containing folders Documents, Garmin, and maybe autorun.inf

4 Open the Garmin folder.

You should now have displayed a bunch of folders and other files.

5 Open the folder called GPX

6 Take the db1k-2012-route-250-V1.gpx from where ever you downloaded it to and copy it in to this GPX folder.

7 Unmount the GPS and unplug the GPS then turn the GPS back on.
    It should boot and at some point have a little progress bar appear and dissapear again during the process.

8 When ready on the GPSmap 62s press the 'Find' button, highlight the 'Routes' icon and press 'enter' then you should see the DB routes in the list.

Try it and let us know.

Note if you have the PC set to hide extensions you may not see the .gpx on the end of the file name. There are a lot of other tweaks on a PC and GPS that may make the way things display and behave different to how it does on mine so it is a bit hard to cover all the bases.
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Transalper View Post
    OK, just seen this thread, I have all the answers and Ryan and I have been making a kind of GPS FAQ video for youtube but I know the Jatz's are dial up peps so may not help much.
    PM me your land line number mr Jatz and I'll fix u up.
    The GPS Map62s is completely different to the Map60 when it comes to file transfers.

Basecamp is what you really need for the 62s... but I will ask what version of Mapsource you have anyway as it sounds like you may have an old version running?
    We are using Mapsource v6.16.2 for Zumos and Etrex legends and the Map60 but Basecamp for the Map62s and probably need that for some of the other newer units too.
    BTW Basecamp is a 100Mb download so when stuck on dialup it may be quicker to get someone up there to download it for you and ride over to get it on CD or memory card.

Oh and yes 89kb is the correct size for the 250point .gpx file.
    Cheers T.A.

p.m on it's way

I'm not doing the D.B. just trying to use a known good file to upload to gps

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    Time for the embarrassment and dissing. Thanks to TA and TimG for their assistance. Check out this vid on youtube about getting the DB1k files onto various GPS models. Apologies for the crap narration. I'll be putting a link on the 2012 DB1k thread and the DB1k website.

This process will work for other files as well though you obviously need to think about if you set the route file up for on road or off road routing when you created it (or stole it from another source).

Cheers R
    "The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools." - Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Yep. Easiest is drag and drop into the GPX folder and then check the routes on the GPS.

Make sure it's on off-road navigation for the DB1K ones as after a few seconds it'll be calculating and then half the waypoints will probably disappear...

Bike
    Suzuki DR650, Beta Xtrainer with CLAKE

GPS for adventure riding, OK flame suit is on, light the fuse and go

OK I know this has been thrashed around but technology is moving fast and changing all the time, I have a Garmin Nuvi 765 which is basically a car unit, I want to get another GPS for the bike and bush.

There are that many models now I dont know where to start, main thing I want is water proof and bike friendly so I thought I would light the fuse, stand back and see what happened.

If you have a GPS which is easy to use can you give me the model number please.
    Cheers Paul
    Check out our new website www.motomox.co.nz my very own sand pit with lots of cool toys

My bikes Suzuki DR650 2010, Beta Xtrainer 300 2016, Beta RR498 2014

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    Up to now I've been using a Garmin Etrex Legend Hcx. I have just upgraded to the latest Garmin Etrex @30.

Although the screen size is a bit small they are both high definition, easy to use and can run on batteries or be hard wired via a mini usb plug. Uploading and downloading is a breeze. Garmin make a variety of mounts that allow the unit to be securely clipped to your handlebars.
    Last edited by Jantar; 15th January 2012 at 15:57.
    Time to ride

Bike
    Very Modded DR650
    Just to be a bore, this has been thrashed to death as recently as the last month or so. I'm sure there's been no major advances in technology in that time so do a search.
    www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz NZ's dedicated Adventure Riding Community
    Forums, free GPS track downloads and much more. Now over 5700 members, are you one of them?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddieb View Post
    Just to be a bore, this has been thrashed to death as recently as the last month or so. I'm sure there's been no major advances in technology in that time so do a search.
    Cool, can you past the link up, I cant find it on the system, the search option doesn't work well.
    Cheers Paul
    Check out our new website www.motomox.co.nz my very own sand pit with lots of cool toys

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Trials Rider View Post
    Cool, can you past the link up, I cant find it on the system, the search option doesn't work well.
    I've merged the two latest threads, and made it a sticky for future refernce.
    Time to ride

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Jantar View Post
    I've merged the two latest threads, and made it a sticky for future refernce.
    Brilliant, thanks for that, I am not that techno so any help is good help, we should all buy GPS's on the same day and be done with it.
    Cheers Paul

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    I just wrote an email to a guy asking about GPS's for the dusty. I'll post it in below as a perspective piece.

Quote Originally Posted by cooneyr email

I'll answer this with comments rather than direct answers unfortunately.

If you are not budget constrained and want this unit purely for the bike and primarily around town with some adventure riding then a Garmin Zumo is the way to go
    https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=135

I don't recommend car units due to water/dust proofing, powering, ease of button use issues.

If you want to do mainly adventure riding (and also tramping/walking) then you have more choices
    https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145

The Garmin Montana and Oregon are touch screen which is good and bad. They tend to have bigger screens (good) but harder on batteries and not sure about screen durability with the dust and grit etc. The Montana 650 is a very nice unit - probably the pic of the Montana and Oregon bunch. I've already got topo's so I'd probably not go for the Montana 650t though topos are bloody nice to have.

GPSMap 6? series is seen as the premium hand held, more tramping orientated units. 62stc is the top of this line but you need to think about if you need the topos and the camera. Most I know go for the 62s which is just missing the topo's and the camera. Very nice unit, slightly bigger screen than the eTrex series, slightly worse battery life, easier to use given more buttons (less wading through menus). The GPSMap 7? Units are for boaties as they float. Apart from floating and buttons above screen they are the same as the 6?

eTrex series is the budget conscious version of the GPSMap 6? Units. Slightly smaller screen, longer battery life but the eTrex 30 has all the functions of the GPSMap 62s, just slightly harder to use with less buttons. The 10, 20, 30 are the new units and the Legend, Vista, Summit, Venture etc are the older models. A few years back the H version of the Legend, Vista etc was built with a high sensitivity receiver which actually made it better at keeping at satellite lock than the GPSMap models at time. The eTrex use to have a lower sensitivity receiver than the GPSMap hence was the budget version but this is no longer the case.

I've personally got a eTrex Legend Hcx which is pretty much the equivalent of the eTrex 20 except for a couple of extra software features on the newer 20. I'd personally go for a 62s if budget was not an issue or I'd the eTrex 30 if budget was an issue. If budget is a really big issue the cheapest unit I'd get is the eTrex 20. Only reason I'd not go for a 62 with an s or a t is that I'd not bother with a camera or the topo maps as I don't need them.

Sorry the answer is not more straight forward but hope this helps.
    "The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools." - Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    I run an Oregon 300 with topo's and all the fruit.
    The touch screen works well although I must get around to putting some protection on it sometime.

If I was spending someone elses money, I'd get a Montana.
    Larger screen, portrait and landscape mode...

The both have "profiles" so I have one set up as "work" with road maps, no tracking, geocaches off etc.
    The "Adventure" profile shows topo, roads, geocaches, tracks etc.
    The TT350 profile also shows speed and time as it's hiding the speedo.

The DB1K profile shows roads, topos, time and dist to next waypoint, off-road routing and large text for wp's.

Bike
    OK have had al look at some GPS's I like the following

Garmin 62s

Garmin Zumo 660

Garmin Montana 650T

If you have one of these can you tell me anything you dont like about it or any technical issues with it, any help appreciated
    Cheers Paul

Bike
    DRZ400E
    Quote Originally Posted by Trials Rider View Post
    OK have had al look at some GPS's I like the following

Garmin 62s
    G'day mate, I don't normally particpate in the numerous GPS threads, but for you...

...I have used a 62s for quite some time now, I like the navigation, functionality and extensively customizable screens making for quick and easy use on the bike in motion. Ideal size and durability to take off the bike and use for fishing, hunting tramping etc, it is the same unit that all the DOC employees on foot use due to it having remarkable reception under heavy bush cover. The first unit periodically shut down, I sent it back and Garmin gave me a new one, Mapworld said it was the first they'd heard of such an issue, have had no similar issues since. It can be a bit slow panning or zooming large distances on the map (eg 100km+) when you are simultaneously tracking a route (no doubt the processor will be working overtime) but not a major as it only happens every now and then and comes right after a couple of seconds. I have it loaded with FreshMap topos and have the FreshMap program on my computer for creating routes, marking spots etc and transferring to the unit, I like it, good price, good battery life, for my type of use it is perfect
    Last edited by Jantar; 15th January 2012 at 15:54. Reason: Oversize embedded image deleted

Bike
    BMW R1200GS hexhead.Suzuki DR650K6,CT110
    Based on advice from the GPS man in Chistchurch - (Tony Savage http://kiwigps.co.nz/) who many on this site express confidence in and Jantar's post earlier in the month in response to my Q's; I went with a Garmin eTrex20.

A found a conversation with Tony really worthwhile. He listened to my intended application and sold me only what I needed. Good guy IMO -

I've yet to use the device so will be learning on the DB - I seem to have successfully loaded the maps on to the device

I'm looking forward to Ryan's GPS 101 tutorial at the Friday briefing - Oh and yes I plan on having a roll sheet as well

cheers Aslan
    those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter don’t mind..

Thread Information