Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: GPS mapping and GPS units you use

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    .....I'm looking forward to Ryan's GPS 101 tutorial at the Friday briefing....

cheers Aslan
    Oh bugger. I forgot about that. Better figure out what I'm going to talk about!!!

Cheers R
    "The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools." - Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Bike
    Suzuki DR650, Beta Xtrainer with CLAKE
    OK helmets and gloves off, I have decided to get the Garmin 62s after talking to Josh

Look forward to playing
    Cheers Paul
    Check out our new website www.motomox.co.nz my very own sand pit with lots of cool toys

My bikes Suzuki DR650 2010, Beta Xtrainer 300 2016, Beta RR498 2014

Bike
    BMW F650 Hoonda GB500 KTM525 sixdays
    Im now a GPS owner....

Perhaps I should have consulted the 'great ones' at KB before purchasing but well- It was only $75 so I cant moan.

Its a Garmin Etrex. and I can not for the life of me figure some details out.

If I have a GPS coordinate supplied, can I enter it in and be guided there?
    I can't seem to find this basic function in there!

Also It now seems that thing is nothing more than a track marker- all it really seems to do is let me retrace a journey that I have previously entered in to it. It has no maps installed so all I get is a twisty line on a screen. NordieBoy- Im down your way in a week- are you clued in on these?
    Retired- just some guy with a few bikes......

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    Which model eTrex is it?
    Time to ride

Bike
    BMW F650 Hoonda GB500 KTM525 sixdays
    Quote Originally Posted by Jantar View Post
    Which model eTrex is it?
    Well thats it! its a Garmin Etrex. no mention of any sub model on the case or in the manual....
    Retired- just some guy with a few bikes......

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    In that case it is probably one of the early models (yellow?) that isn't routeable. You should still be able to enter a waypoint with the mark function then editing the lat/lon to the waypoint you desire. Selecting GOTO should then allow the GPS to give you a single direction and distance to that point.
    Time to ride

Bike
    91 R80GS
    My tracklog says it is 98% full. Is there any way to merge these tracks as some of them are overlapped.
    I have a garmin 62csx.
    Is it possible to change them as routes? I have googled & can't really find anything that helps me. I have mapsource & downloaded trackmaker. They aren't that user friendly. Is there someone that knows this stuff & could guide me thru it? Or has anyone found a tutorial they could direct me to?

Hold fire guys. i have found lots of crap to sift thru on adv rider unless someone knows how to do it quickly & could save me time...
    Last edited by Padmei; 24th January 2012 at 19:47. Reason: had a look on adv rider
    In life as in dance Grace glides on blistered feet

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Piece of cake to show you in person but guess that isn't going to happen soon as you are over 5 hours riding and some gas money savings away.
    Much harder to fumble through online... especially since I think you have written the model of your gps wrong... don't think there is a 62csx, there is a Map60csx and a GPSmap62s but no 62csx

Cutting and joining tracks is very easy with mapsource, converting them in to routes a bit more involved.
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    91 R80GS
    ok cheers anyway
    must be a 60csx

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
    My tracklog says it is 98% full. Is there any way to merge these tracks as some of them are overlapped.
    I have a garmin 62csx.
    Is it possible to change them as routes? I have googled & can't really find anything that helps me. I have mapsource & downloaded trackmaker. They aren't that user friendly. Is there someone that knows this stuff & could guide me thru it? Or has anyone found a tutorial they could direct me to?

Hold fire guys. i have found lots of crap to sift thru on adv rider unless someone knows how to do it quickly & could save me time...
    Easy to do...

Bike
    91 R80GS
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    Easy to do...
    good cos you're doing it...

Bike
    DR650, Yamaha 1100 + Watsonian Sidecar

Garmin GPSMAP 78s

Decided to pick up a new (first) GPS before the Dusty Butt, so gave Tony at KiwiGPS in Chch a call, as I remember him being mentioned positively on KB before. He was very helpful, and had the unit all set up, with Maps loaded at no extra cost - then couriered to Wellington.

I chose the GPSMAP 78s. Its similar to the 62s but also for marine use so water proof, which I wanted and can attest to after rain, snow and a brief river dunking last weekend with no issues. Also it works well as a handheld unit for geocaching off-road.

With all DB1K routes loaded, plus a bunch of other advroutes to check out on the way down and back, plus a whole heap of South Island geocaches to look for, the GPS had no issues with memory and was able to record track data for the whole 2400 km 5 day trip. Couldn't be happier
    Also would recommend Tony, as the service was great when I needed a few noob questions answered in the first day or two of sussing it out.

PS. only running basecamp software, not mapsource, but it works OK, and I can save the tracks as GPX files then view them on google earth as well

Cheers, Bruce

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Quote Originally Posted by Beem02 View Post
    I chose the GPSMAP 78s. Its similar to the 62s but also for marine use so water proof, which I wanted and can attest to after rain, snow and a brief river dunking last weekend with no issues. ....
    The are both waterproof as are most the other handheld sized Garmins but the 78s also floats (very important for a marine unit I suspect) and has the water resistant external 12v power socket both of which the 62s doesn't.
    Good to hear you are another happy customer, I think you made a good choice.
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    WR250R
    Now I've (mostly) figured out how to operate the GPS, the associated mapping software is doing my little head in

Is anyone else using Maptoaster mobile topos on basecamp? Basecamp loaded up the open gps project maps no trouble, but it hasn't loaded the topos. The open gps maps are good for searching for things (which basecamp does well), but they don't have enough detail for map browsing (and the topos are possibly more comprehensive for DOC huts etc)

Mapsource (which apparently isn't the right program for my 62s, but I installed it anyway), shows the topos, and the open gps project maps, but I can't get it to search properly, and it's a bit clunky dealing with waypoints and routes, so I can't really use it by itself.

Thus I've got two partially functional programs, which should (I imagine) both be doing the same things.

A search of teh internetz has not yielded anything useful on either the basecamp, or mapsource fronts.

Help...?
    The road to hell is paved...

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Ok I could be wrong as I do not have the Map Toaster stuff but I got the impression that to use map toaster maps you have to use maptoaster software. The Maptoaster maps do not install in such a way as to be accessed by Mapsource or Basecamp.

Hopefully someone can shed some more light on the subject.

It may be possible to break down the map image from the GPS and install it back on the PC in such a way that Garmin sofware can see it... there are utilitys for this but I have only had limited success experimenting and not with Map Toaster stuff.

Thread Information