Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: GPS mapping and GPS units you use

Bike
    WR250R
    For maptoaster mobile, they recommend using mapsource to load it onto your GPS (for GPSs without a card slot, or if you want to upload multiple maps). So mine came with a micro SD card, which is in the GPS, and a CD, which I've installed on my computer, and which will run via Mapsource. I also have Maptoaster for the PC, which runs on its own software (and can also be used to manage tracks and waypoints from the GPS).
    Confused yet? I am
    The road to hell is paved...

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    That's good to know.

Now did you know Mapsource and Basecamp can only display one map product at a time ? and how to swap between mapsets ?

Don't have Basecamp on this PC (at work now) but on Mapsource you switch mapsets like from Open maps to Topos by (couple of ways depending upon your tools displayed) going to the 'View' menu then selecting the 'Switch to product' option then choosing which mapset you wish to use.
    On my setup I also have a dropdown box displayed in the tool bar area that says 'Free NZOGPS_DOC_STRM' and when I click on that the dropdown revels the other maps that are available.

Basecamp should have something similar.
    If you don't get the maptoaster option in those menus then you need more help than I can give via the web.

Edit: I re-read your original question and sounds like you already have Mapsource swapping between products so this post is probably no good to you after all.
    Last edited by Transalper; 26th January 2012 at 16:10. Reason: edit edit re-read question
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    WR250R
    Yes, Basecamp will switch between maps, but only has the base Garmin maps and the open gps maps in its drop down menu. Mapsource also has the topos in its drop down menu.
    We'll see if anyone else has direct experience with maptoaster, otherwise I may have to brave a gps forum

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Found an old post by Tony at KiwiGPS on a GPS forum (21-04-2010) ....

At present the many 3rd party maps I have display in BaseCamp except one, MapToaster Mobile. It works in BaseCamp on a Mac but not with a PC. A fix will be coming for this.
    ...a fix surely by now, but I haven't found it. Maybe email him or the maptoaster support ?

Edit: I have emailed Tony. I'm all curious myself now.
    Last edited by Transalper; 26th January 2012 at 18:07. Reason: edit
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    MapToaster Mobile maps in Garmin Basecamp fix

Righto here's what Tony at KiwiGPS said when he replied...
    .... yes, there's a small patch that fixes this annoying issue - I'd forgotten about it.

Here's a copy of the info I got which worked:

=================
    Here's the update files

http://projx.inmap.net/MTTopoNZ-1.1.18.zip

Copy the 3 files from this zip file into the MapToaster Mobile/NZ folder

C:\Program Files\IntegratedMapping\MapToaster\MobileNZ

MTM should now appear in BaseCamp.

=================

All the best - Tony Savage

KiwiGPS Garmin Advice, Supply and Support

So give that a try and please post back how you got on so I can let him know.
    Cheers
    TA.

Bike
    WR250R
    Quote Originally Posted by Transalper View Post
    MapToaster Mobile maps in Garmin Basecamp fix

Righto here's what Tony at KiwiGPS said when he replied...
    .... yes, there's a small patch that fixes this annoying issue - I'd forgotten about it.

Here's a copy of the info I got which worked:

=================
    Here's the update files

http://projx.inmap.net/MTTopoNZ-1.1.18.zip

Copy the 3 files from this zip file into the MapToaster Mobile/NZ folder

C:\Program Files\IntegratedMapping\MapToaster\MobileNZ

MTM should now appear in BaseCamp.

=================

All the best - Tony Savage

KiwiGPS Garmin Advice, Supply and Support

So give that a try and please post back how you got on so I can let him know.
    Cheers
    TA.
    I've only had a quick look (it is past my bedtime), but it appears to be working now, thank you

Bike
    92 R80 GS
    We had some friends staying with us on the weekend and they were showing us there I PAD. This looks awesome for travelling on the bike with and loading photos onto etc, but we also need to be able to run Mapsource or similar. Is there an App for this or is there another Tablet that is as good that can do this ?

Bike
    02' 640E; 79' Lemans
    I have an android app called BackCountry Navigator that includes the functionality to download topo maps from nztopomaps.com. It has gps, waypoints and compass options. As far as I know it has not been written for apple. It is available as a free version or around $13 dollars for the pro. I haven't come to grips with it yet, the free version give you the chance to try before you buy. It is available on the android 'market'.

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    The iPad is crap for loading photos on/off.
    To do navigation, you'd need the 3G version as the gps is part of the 3G chip.

For Android, Dual Sport Maps is quite good and can download heaps of differing maps and map styles from www.dualsportmaps.com

The iPad is nice to use but limiting.
    The Droid devices are less polished but also less limiting.

I'd go for the Samsung 10.1 over an iPad any day.

Bike
    Very Modded DR650
    The guys at TBAM mag rave over MudMap, I believe it's only available for Apple devices.
    www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz NZ's dedicated Adventure Riding Community
    Forums, free GPS track downloads and much more. Now over 5700 members, are you one of them?

Bike
    91 R80GS
    Am I missing something here?
    With a GPS there are heaps of satellites to use. With a phone/ipadthing i thought you had to be in cell phone range?
    In life as in dance Grace glides on blistered feet

Bike
    02' 640E; 79' Lemans
    The gps in smart phones is not dependent on cell coverage. The only thing you have to do is load the maps either through your data plan or a wi fi site before you go bush.

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
    With a GPS there are heaps of satellites to use. With a phone/ipadthing i thought you had to be in cell phone range?
    There are a number of smartphones that now have GPS chips included.
    Time to ride

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by Jantar View Post
    There are a number of smartphones that now have GPS chips included.
    Including the one Padders uses...

Bike
    92 R80 GS
    My plan is to do what others have done on the TAT and load all of the roads etc on to a laptop or gadget then upload each days riding to my GPS. Even if we are following route sheets the GPS should be backing up what the route sheets have told us.

Thread Information