Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21293031

Thread: GPS mapping and GPS units you use

Bike
    2011 EXCf400
    Hi, you can buy a ram cradle for your Oregon 600 via trademe or gadgetguys. You may want to consider chucking the stock bars and replacing them with alloy fat bars. You will need adapters to hold the oversized bars. The stock bars will bend even in the slightest tip over. Without the crossbar you can then mount the ram cradle onto a metal plate that bolts onto either 2 or 4 bolts that hold the bars. If you dont want to change the bars then using the cradle and various arms and balls you will still be able to get the cradle close to the crossbar either in landscape or portrait configuration. Using a straight USB connector isnt advisable. Most fail from the constant vibrations from wind, engine, handlebar turning and the road. The connection can be made completely fail proof by using the Garmin "USB bare wire power cable 010-11131-10" It has a right angle plug that can be held in place without vibrating (using tape or dense sponge etc) Dont be tempted to use a cheaper Chinese clone USB power source. The genuine Garmin one is the best. Wire it directly to the battery with a switch or plug. Just remember to switch off if not using the bike for some weeks.
    I`am assuming you have downloaded the Open GPS Auto routing as well as the maps.
    Once you start recording tracks get into the habit of deleting your "current track" at the start of each track then "saving" at the end before moving on or turning off the GPS. If you dont save and then turn off the GPS then turn it on again in some other location it will automatically join the tracks together with a line. Its easy to delete via Mapsource but it can get tedious and time consuming if you have lots of tracks recorded.

Bike
    CRF250L Rally
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeJ View Post
    Hi, you can buy a ram cradle for your Oregon 600 via trademe or gadgetguys. You may want to consider chucking the stock bars and replacing them with alloy fat bars. You will need adapters to hold the oversized bars. The stock bars will bend even in the slightest tip over. Without the crossbar you can then mount the ram cradle onto a metal plate that bolts onto either 2 or 4 bolts that hold the bars. If you dont want to change the bars then using the cradle and various arms and balls you will still be able to get the cradle close to the crossbar either in landscape or portrait configuration. Using a straight USB connector isnt advisable. Most fail from the constant vibrations from wind, engine, handlebar turning and the road. The connection can be made completely fail proof by using the Garmin "USB bare wire power cable 010-11131-10" It has a right angle plug that can be held in place without vibrating (using tape or dense sponge etc) Dont be tempted to use a cheaper Chinese clone USB power source. The genuine Garmin one is the best. Wire it directly to the battery with a switch or plug. Just remember to switch off if not using the bike for some weeks.
    I`am assuming you have downloaded the Open GPS Auto routing as well as the maps.
    Once you start recording tracks get into the habit of deleting your "current track" at the start of each track then "saving" at the end before moving on or turning off the GPS. If you dont save and then turn off the GPS then turn it on again in some other location it will automatically join the tracks together with a line. Its easy to delete via Mapsource but it can get tedious and time consuming if you have lots of tracks recorded.
    Cool thanks for the info. I have a RAM mount that I use an aquabox on to hold my cellphone - been using this for navigation, but I like to keep that there so I can see if I get any messages or calls when I'm riding. My idea is to mount the Oregon on the bar above the speedo that hold the screen on the CRF250 rally, so looking for something that will go straight on there. This kind of thing: http://www.thegadgetguys.co.nz/index...=1196&limit=25.

I'm still playing with the download getting familiar with how it works. I downloaded the one that says: Cross-Platform (Windows / Mac / Linux etc) gmapsupp.img - works with Nuvi / Zumo and most other Garmin GPS 'x' series with SD or micro SD storage Does not require Garmin MapSource

Do I need to download auto routing as well? Can't seem to see that in downloads.

And yes I probably will replace the bars but the next priority is the seat - not made for 5-6 hours days on the road :/

Bike
    F800GS
    Congratulations on choosing an awsome GPS. I've had mine for a couple of years now. Still working well. I have the nzopen maps, most of Aus (free ones) and nz/Aus topo maps currently installed
    The link for the mount goes to a bicycle mount (?) Do yourself a favour and get a ram mount, either from motomox or try mapworld in Chch. My unit was mounted portrait style on the bars just below the gauges on the beemer, currently just the cradle is screwed to the dash on the drz400. I use a genuine garmin 12v supply and its hardly ever given trouble, worth the investment and cheaper than masses of battery's in the long run
    You don't need to "download" auto routing. The GPS does it automatically. But only up to 50 way points. If using more, such as the RemoteMoto routes or advnz routes, turn navigation to off road. The line doesn't follow the road but goes straight from point to point. Easy when you get the hang of it.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    I've got Basecamp installed on an iMac and have imported tracks from the Garmin (colorado) ok. One of the Basecamp options is to "view current map area in Google Earth".
    Google Earth Pro is installed but even if it is open, selecting the option in Basecamp to view results in "Google Earth could not be opened".
    Plenty of hits for Windows PCs and how to fix this (usually but running regsrvr32 from command prompt), nothing for Mac. Any ideas?
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    1993c kawasaki klx 650

google earth

Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    I've got Basecamp installed on an iMac and have imported tracks from the Garmin (colorado) ok. One of the Basecamp options is to "view current map area in Google Earth".
    Google Earth Pro is installed but even if it is open, selecting the option in Basecamp to view results in "Google Earth could not be opened".
    Plenty of hits for Windows PCs and how to fix this (usually but running regsrvr32 from command prompt), nothing for Mac. Any ideas?
    had same problem , download older version of google earth . new version does not support basecamp [works ok on my mac]

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bobjac View Post
    had same problem , download older version of google earth . new version does not support basecamp [works ok on my mac]
    Hey thanks, that worked. I'm a Mac noob after years of PC, things are quite a bit different.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Thread Information