Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2028293031 LastLast

Thread: GPS mapping and GPS units you use

Bike
    '08 KTM 690E

mapstogpx

Hey,
    I also just used a cool service. I used google maps to find a route using the cycle mode, which gives you more off-road options. I then tool the google maps URL and pasted that into http://mapstogpx.com which then returns you a GPX file to load into your GPS of choice.

The nice thing again about phone based, is that its Internet connected, so getting the GPX file into the Androids map was a peice of piss.

As for storing all your files, I keep them on Dropbox, so I can get them from any device.
    ...back in the saddle, and getting a little!

Bike
    Wrrrrrr
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
    so you don't think the Montana will work with a Mapsource created gpx file? That might be a problem as I've got loads of them
    Just basecamp which isn't great but functional, you could save all your files to your PC then import them into basecamp into new files you create so all still there.

Sometimes you just gotta move with the times as with all these things they eventually drop support so you have no choice anyway.

That paper road we looked at didn't go over the railway line, as we pulled out I noticed a track which google earth confirmed was the entrance so there's another trip.

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
    so you don't think the Montana will work with a Mapsource created gpx file? That might be a problem as I've got loads of them
    Yes it will accept .gpx files that were created with mapsource but you will not be able to use Mapsource to transfer it to the Montana, there are two other was to do it though.
    1 use the Basecamp program to do the transfer (file does not have to be created with Basecamp, you can import it to Basecamp from where ever you have saved it on the computer then do the transfer, no conversion necessary)
    2 or you could just do the transfer as if the Montana was a usb drive without using any programs.

Basecamp is a better program, many more cool gpx editing features than mapsource but yes does take some extra learning and has some annoying (usless to me) extras too.
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    2008 Transalp XLV700

Garmin maps

Can anyone tell me why the latest garmin maps are missing lots of roads we like to ride? I have to load old maps into my garmin gps. is it because of campervans going down the wrong road?? If I want to use a new device with the latest maps they don't include all the old roads we ride..
    Cheers.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drbandit View Post
    Can anyone tell me why the latest garmin maps are missing lots of roads we like to ride? I have to load old maps into my garmin gps. is it because of campervans going down the wrong road?? If I want to use a new device with the latest maps they don't include all the old roads we ride..
    Cheers.
    I don't bother using Garmin maps. Use the NZOpenGPS project maps. Any errors are simply notified and the mappers correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Rocket 111 Touring (2010)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    I don't bother using Garmin maps. Use the NZOpenGPS project maps. Any errors are simply notified and the mappers correct.
    I second that. Their maps are superb and even include roadworks diversions. They're updated every Friday but I find that updating every couple of months is enough. Garmin maps (or any other official gps map) are at least 6 months old when they are released.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Bike
    Wots I gots.

Zumo 595LM

RIP the faithful Zumo 550... & Hail (moderately but not fulsomely) the Zumo 595LM.

A brief update after I retired my US-focused Zumo 550 after 38,000 miles and many years on four continents.

On the plus side; it was very reliable and very bike-oriented and definitely weather-proof (unscathed in serious rain in Singapore, Thailand, the US, you name it).

On the minus side, nothing bad until the Garmin smurfs refused to update its maps and other non-OEM solutions were dysfunctional. Then, navigation started to suck.

The last few years I have annually updated with a Garmin map SD card but in the end analysis, the 550 was no longer up to it.

I still use a backup Zumo 550 in NZ with a NZ-based SD map. But right now I am on an extended assignment in the US and planning to ride from LA to Daytona in a month; so I bought a Zumo 595LM (with tire pressure monitor units).

Plus: fast start-up, finds satellites very quickly; visibly minutes faster than the 550. Reliable tire pressure monitoring. Waaaay much better screen than the 550 even in Arizona sunlight. A more responsive screen with gloves on. Traffic and map updates have proven their worth last weekend on a fast PHX-LA-PHX ride. As good fuel monitoring as the 550 but much better POIs. Finding gas stations is more reliable by far. Finding a hotel at the end of a riding day is much easier by far. Definitely better screen sensitivity with the same gloves.

Minus: the price. Jeez! USD990 with the tire monitors. And, still a screen that washes out in 'High Noon' sunlight. Limited screen real estate by comparison with automobile-centric Garmin units.

I do not use (do not like) en-route voice prompts so I cannot tell you how connecting to a smartphone works.

That said; overall: actually, a worthwhile upgrade. No regrets.

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    anyone used one of these devices or similar? thinking it could come in handy with lack of cell signal in most places to update the worried pregnant wife back home ---

https://www.findmespot.com/en/

Bike
    Wots I gots.
    Have carried one consistently for years in the US, Asia, assorted Trashcanistans.

On the plus side, really good for seeing where you have been in the US... And as you said, providing visual updates to family at home. Internationally, satellite service compatibility sucks.

On the minus side, not good of the "beaten track". Signal's frequently lost and canyons, ravines, valleys etc. That doesn't matter if you're tracking your progress as when signal resumes tracking resumes... But it would matter if you came to grief in one of those locations. IMO, YMMV.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    i've found the places I go, google maps still works on my phone just no cell signal to transmit a message --- reckon in these situations it'd work? (thanks for the info too RDJ!)

Bike
    Wots I gots.
    Hey Scubbo, I believe the short answer to your question is 'yes'.

To be fair to the SPOT people, I should clarify that SPOT can pick up a signal where there are simply no cell towers; so if you're out in the middle of the desert for example - riding through places like Utah - the SPOT unit will reliably track you through secondary roads when the only cell towers are beside the slab, if you had to rely on cellphone signals.

But, SPOT is extremely dependent (like most sat technology) on a clear line of sight to the sky. Places where I noticed it simply fails, have been as diverse as riding through the Everglades, canyon-carving up into the hills from Pacific Coast Highway near Malibu, getting helicoptered low-down near the Colorado in the Grand Canyon, riding through heavily forested Oregon and so forth.

See here for their advisory on getting signals https://www.findmespot.com/downloads...User_Guide.pdf
    (pages 2&3).

And you do get excellent results when you have clear line-of-sight. Hope that helps.

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Riding in the valleys around Nelson and I might get 3 track points successfully out in a 3 hour ride.
    The chances of it facing north every 10min for a good length of time are almost nil.

Stop for a drink/food however and that gives it a much better chance.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Thanks guys, I just need a method to submit "I'm Ok" message every now and then out of cell reception so sounds like it should do what I'm after

Bike
    CRF250L Rally

Total noob on GARMIN GPS units

I have been using a Tomtom app on my iphone and more recently google maps but thought I'd try a dedicated GPS so bought a Garmin Oregon 600 second hand and I'm trying to figure out where to get a good mount for putting it on my bike. I have a ram mount but would rather mount it on the crossbar above the speedo. I tried Noel Leeming to see if they have the cradle but don't stock.Any ideas?

I did get a micro SD card and managed to download the latest Open GPS map onto the card and get that working - so far so good. All a bit new to me but I'm keen to use for road navigation in general plus finding and recording tracks. The Oregon runs on batteries but if you do plug in via the USB does that take over and preserve the batteries?

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CRM View Post
    I have been using a Tomtom app on my iphone and more recently google maps but thought I'd try a dedicated GPS so bought a Garmin Oregon 600 second hand and I'm trying to figure out where to get a good mount for putting it on my bike. I have a ram mount but would rather mount it on the crossbar above the speedo. I tried Noel Leeming to see if they have the cradle but don't stock.Any ideas?

I did get a micro SD card and managed to download the latest Open GPS map onto the card and get that working - so far so good. All a bit new to me but I'm keen to use for road navigation in general plus finding and recording tracks. The Oregon runs on batteries but if you do plug in via the USB does that take over and preserve the batteries?
    I have a Garmin Colorado and the USB power does preserve the batteries, but it doesn't charge them. AFAIK the higher end Garmins will charge the batteries via usb.
    I use a RAM mount but I've also got a tether attached to the bars - just in case.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Thread Information