Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My try at trials.

Bike
    Several
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    More or less how I sourced mine...
    What!? Not green!

I thought the chain oil in swingarm thing was a nice touch to the KT.
    Heinz Varieties

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by koba View Post
    What!? Not green!

Mate, I couldn't afford green paint, I had red urethane so that's what it got.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    Several
    Mate, I couldn't afford green paint, I had red urethane so that's what it got.
    Haha, Nice, thats a bit like how it works for me too.
    Heinz Varieties

What!? Not green!

The chain oiler was one of the touches Don Smith brought over from the Cota.

My KT was red too - my mate was painting a Monaro,and the tank was sitting there....

My KT was ridden across a bay when the tide was out....it only got halfway.It was dragged out the next day after a night under water.I got it for $25 a few days later.It was ok after I replaced the frame (just for safety sake),fork springs and a few other items.But it was never a looker after that.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    It isn't really a side of motorcycling that NEEDS the whole MNZ thing is it?
    Yeah agreed, but even in the 70's we had competition licences, though buggered if I can remember what the cost was then. I do remember turning up at Hawkes Bay club trials and the entry fee was 20 cents. I was just a school boy then so was happy with that price. I rode a few Nationals and the entry fee would have been a few dollars - rip off eh! It was pretty rare we ever had any hassles with officialdom then.
    Cheers

Merv

In the '80's it was still pretty low key,no helmets,and a day licence was $3.After everyone had signed on and payed,the girls went off and got some prizes out of the start money from the local area - good if it was a wine area,but often oil and stuff from a service station.It was good to know what you paid was going back to the riders and farmer.That's all who should be involved.Not a lot of prizes were given in this 21st century....but I have a few trophies up in the cabinet,they mean nothing really,but it's kinda nice to see them there....
    Waging war with society

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Motu View Post
    In the '80's it was still pretty low key,no helmets,and a day licence was $3.
    Not sure much has changed, I remember widespread bleating about ACU fees and what value they represented for trials clubs. It was a valid bitch too, we were once instructed that trials was a winter sport and our "out-of-season" twilight trials should cease forthwith. They would, we were told, sanction 8 club events each year, between dates X & Y, and no correspondence will be entered into etc. Don't recall ever seeing a representitve actually at a club meeting. Difficulties with alternative insurance cover seemed to be the main reason most clubs never actually broke away.

Bike
    Several
    Difficulties with alternative insurance cover seemed to be the main reason most clubs never actually broke away.
    I know alternatie cover can be arrranged, Im sure trials would be very low risk for a motorcycle event.

Bah, not my worry anyway, I'm not that deep into it yet!
    Heinz Varieties

Bike
    Several
    Quote Originally Posted by Motu View Post
    The chain oiler was one of the touches Don Smith brought over from the Cota.

My KT was red too - my mate was painting a Monaro,and the tank was sitting there....

My KT was ridden across a bay when the tide was out....it only got halfway.It was dragged out the next day after a night under water.I got it for $25 a few days later.It was ok after I replaced the frame (just for safety sake),fork springs and a few other items.But it was never a looker after that.
    Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by merv View Post
    I do remember turning up at Hawkes Bay club trials and the entry fee was 20 cents.
    :grandpawalkingsticksmilie:
    Heinz Varieties

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    OK just for you guys I've dug out some old photos from the National trials champs 1977.

There is a couple of Greg power on the Honda, some Pom on a KT250 and some guy on a Suzuki RL250. See no helmets etc and this was the National championship not just some club meet. Cool huh.

When I've got time I'll have to search out a few more old pics because now my brother has died I have his collection at home too. He had many road race pics too so who knows what I'll find.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oops Greg Power 1977.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	517.6 KB 
ID:	121302   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Greg Power 1977.jpg 
Size:	707.0 KB 
ID:	121303   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pommie on KT250 1977.jpg 
Size:	601.2 KB 
ID:	121304   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Who is this RL250 1977.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	369.4 KB 
ID:	121305  
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    I know alternatie cover can be arrranged, Im sure trials would be very low risk for a motorcycle event.
    The world worked differently then dude.

Quote Originally Posted by merv View Post
    OK just for you guys I've dug out some old photos from the National trials champs 1977.
    Nice, cheers.

Check out the fireman's gumboots that Greg is wearing - we used to get them off Firemen as they threw them out.They had a toe cap and steel shank,so were pretty good stuff.And that is not the standard TL250,looks like a works job.There was some other guy who worked at Blue Wing and rode a TL250 too....I'll remember his name when someone mentions it....
    Waging war with society

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    You'll notice the TLs were slightly different as the photos were taken in June 1977 and November 1977 hence the woolly hat in the first shot being in winter.

How about this one from back in October 1975 at the Nationals when Greg was on a Yamaha be-gods!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Greg Power 1975.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	315.9 KB 
ID:	121333  
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    Several
    Great pics merv!
    Love the style of the day, a very different world!
    Heinz Varieties

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    Great pis merv!
    Love the style of the day, a very different world!
    Yeah mate, who knows you could get good at it and be our next Stefan Merriman.
    Cheers

Merv

Thread Information