Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Manfeild track day, 19 April 2009

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Okay, I'll go first.

Got there nice and early to line up on Rata street behind the traffic.... Gates locked!
    Gates open at 0745 ish and in we went.

Got sorted and then walked past 120 odd people to get to the back of the registration line!

Registered and then waited.
    Lined up behind the race class and was the first fast class guy out there... on a Kawasaki ZR400.
    Out i went, and the ting starts missing under full throttle... Rode the whole track at 100km/he getting passed by everything but the grass.... Did some passing in the corners.. seems I was keener than some on cold tyres.

Brought it back to he pits after one lap and ripped the carbs off it.
    They seemed fine.
    Threw it all back together and took it for a spin. Got to do a lap test in the slow class (yeah I know, no class hopping BUT I only did one lap).
    It was still running rough. Most likely be the split in one of the caps!

SO, my mate loans me his NSR250.
    Went out in the medium class (as that is what the bike was registered for).
    Was well classed, and able to out corner everything.... Didn't take a proper line for 6 laps or so.
    THEN as I was flying down the back straight it locked up in spectacular 2 stroke fashion!
    So in with the clutch and coast from Dunlop entry to the pits.

Pull the plugs and notice they were 8'S!
    Man! To top it the rear one had no electrode left... and most of the piston attached to it!
    So scrap one cylinder on the NSR!
    Apprently the 8's ran fine at Taupo... With an older rider... and the standard end cans rah de rah.......
    Seems the NSR is scavenging much better now.... Or it was!
    Lesson is: When ever a 2 stroke is going really well, it is about to blow up!

Didn't go out again as that is three times in a row i have broken something.... Didn't even want to tempt fate by taking a bike out of the display... And Bill wouldn't let me after breaking his toy.

So it was a case of stand around and watch everybody else enjoy their day.

It was good to see some Noob's to the track really having a good time and getting a lot from it.
    I think it is a positive thing for motorcycling that so many are keen to up-skill themselves at days like this.

Condolences to all those that crashed. I hope you heal well.

Cheers to Busted and the team for such a fantastic day.
    Last edited by quickbuck; 19th April 2009 at 18:05. Reason: More info

Bike
    GSXR750G Daytona 955 Tiger DR650 ZRX1200
    Yeah, huge ups to you guys for another brilliant day! Sure, there was a big crowd but that's a positive thing in itself and everyone had fun. The organisers carried off the whole day in your usual style, thanks!
    It's only Rock and Roll but I like it

Bike
    Black/Green 2011 Daytona 675LE
    Thanks heaps for letting us in, waiting until i had sighed in to close off - I was second to last - and taking the time out of your riding hours to run it for us all.

Me and the better looking half have even joined up with the club as a result of meeting so many friendly members and being made to feel welcome.
    Parental advisory: Your kids may accidentally wake up and realize the bullshit that fills our world.

Bike
    FZR 400
    sounds like I missed an awsome day out definatly gonna keep an eye out for the next 1
    Quote Originally Posted by carbonhed View Post
    Some Kiwibiker threads contain such a wealth of fuckwittery that they should in some way be permanently removed from the digital domain, carved onto stone tablets and then launched into space to scare the living shit out of any hostile alien species that may be lurking nearby

Bike
    Lots
    Well, the day wasn't so good for a mate and myself.

We toiled all day the Saturday to make sure that our bikes and gear were buttoned up, loaded and RTG.
    Got up, picked up the mate, loaded the bikes on the trailer and left Wellington by 7:10. Got to Manfield at 9:20 to see someone holding up a sign saying no more bikes.
    A few other people from Wellington missed out too. In fact - a LOT of people missed out.

So we stuck around till 12 to see if we could get on the track once a few people had left - no such luck!

That's $60 down the drain for the petrol for the trip, and a waisted Saturday and Sunday. Although not completely, we did have a few laughs on the way to Manfield and back.

Oh well, that's the way it goes I guess
    Chalk it up to experience and we'll have to camp outside the gates next time

It was good to see so many people turn out though.

It would be interesting to hear how many times people got to ride (for those who were following the rules and not class hoping).

I wonder if it could have been managed better with pre-registration (with a pre-registration fee of course)? Just a thought!!!
    Is it even viable to do this?

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by bigguy View Post
    well, the day wasn't so good for a mate and myself.

We toiled all day the saturday to make sure that our bikes and gear were buttoned up, loaded and rtg.
    Got up, picked up the mate, loaded the bikes on the trailer and left wellington by 7:10. Got to manfield at 9:20 to see someone holding up a sign saying no more bikes.
    A few other people from wellington missed out too. In fact - a lot of people missed out.

So we stuck around till 12 to see if we could get on the track once a few people had left - no such luck!

That's $60 down the drain for the petrol for the trip, and a waisted saturday and sunday. Although not completely, we did have a few laughs on the way to manfield and back.

Oh well, that's the way it goes i guess
    chalk it up to experience and we'll have to camp outside the gates next time

it was good to see so many people turn out though.

It would be interesting to hear how many times people got to ride (for those who were following the rules and not class hoping).

I wonder if it could have been managed better with pre-registration (with a pre-registration fee of course)? Just a thought!!!
    Is it even viable to do this?
    pre register and pre pay??

Bike
    1963 Ford Thunderbird
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy View Post
    Got to Manfield at 9:20 to see someone holding up a sign saying no more bikes.
    Sorry to hear that but scrutineering was 8.30-9.30am so arriving 10 minutes before it closed off was cutting it a bit fine. Unfortunately people do start queuing up at 7am, often before we get there. We have to make it first in, first served.

The idea of prebooking will be passed on to the committee but they will have the final say. We've run it without prebooking from the start and it usually works well.
    Yes, I am pedantic about spelling and grammar so get used to it!

Bike
    Lots
    Yeah, that's a fair call.
    I guess I just didn't realise (as did a lot of other people) that Sunday would be so popular.

Bike
    1963 Ford Thunderbird
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy View Post
    Yeah, that's a fair call.
    I guess I just didn't realise (as did a lot of other people) that Sunday would be so popular.
    I think because it's so reasonably priced and well located for those travelling from Wellington (and further away), it has become more popular. Even when it rains, we still get about 100 bikes turning up and the fact the weather was perfect yesterday meant even more wanted to have a go.

We're always shied away from prebooking because of the extra work involved, but that will be put before the committee tonight and it is something that may be considered for next year. No promises, and it would still be first in, first served, just the money would have to accompany it as soon as we set a date to start taking bookings. We'd probably limit it to one place per person, otherwise we could piss people off by taking group bookings as others could miss out.

Bike
    Lots
    The good thing with a pre booking is, you stop people travelling all the way to an event and spending money and time they don't need to if they know they are not guaranteed a place.

Glad to hear the feedback is at least being considered. And good on you for taking it constructively!

Bike
    1963 Ford Thunderbird
    This is the first time ever we have had to turn away riders - so the number of riders who turned up this day was unprecedented. We usually do cap the number but if there are only half a dozen or so who turn up after we decide no more, we usually let them through.

God knows where they all came from yesterday but I think by the sound of it (I wasn't there so can't say for sure) the organisers realised there were WAY too many to let everyone in and had to turn some away.

Some riders do leave early but it sounds like most stayed for the bulk of the day this time, meaning there were no spots to be filled. Often we have to turn away bikes that are not in fit condition to be on the track, but again, if all the bikes passed scrutineering, that means fewer spots again for late comers.

All this feedback will be given to the organising committee and it will be taken into consideration when planning future track days. We would be keen to run three, but Manfeild usually can't give us the dates we want so we're stuffed. Ours is the cheapest around, and we do appreciate the feedback as we want to make sure it's one of the best too.

Bike
    CBR600RR, WR250 smoker
    we left plimmerton at 5.30 to make sure we got in. i have no problem with first in first served. if its easier to do it that way keep doing it people will soon learn to get up earlier. when your only charging $50 its up to us to work in around you.
    thanks again for a good day

Bike
    04 ZX10R 98 ZX9R #10
    As a suggestion, I like the idea of nominating a group but found it curious why someone on the loud speaker was calling out for the fast group to line up and if they dont hurry they would miss out.
    If there are 30 riders allowed on the track (for instance) and 30 people sign into that group then they should be able to get on the dummy grid 2 mins before going out and be guarenteed a space.
    Would like to see G1- race, G2- fast, G3- med, G4- med, G5- slow.
    And if you have a G4 tag on your bike you go in G4 not G3.
    Followed a couple of bikes round in G3 and then watched them circulate in G1 as I was watching from the stands. I realise that volenteers cant catch everyone session hoping so it takes a bit of honesty on the part of the riders to ensure everyone gets a fair crack at the whip.
    At some stage there we were lining up when the race guys were out there and sitting on the dummy grid with the fast guys and then med guys and end up going out in the second med group.
    If you had a number on your bike and were guarenteed a session then it would clear the dummy grid faster.
    By the same token, if the session is over and you are coming down the back striaght is there any real point in circulating to the slip road? surely pulling off into the pits striaght away and missing the 1/4 lap that is run down speeds things up. Maybe another chequered flag on the back striaght for those who can to pull off to the pits early to clear the track for the next group?

Nearly all men can stand adversity and hard time, but if you want to test a mans true character, give him power....
    YouTube Videos
    MY PICTURES

Best place to stay in Hawkes Bay here

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboyz View Post
    Maybe another chequered flag on the back straight for those who can to pull off to the pits early to clear the track for the next group?
    Or, on to it riders notice the bikes lining up on the infield so hang a left to the pits....
    It saved a lot of waiting actually.... But then the motor had died for me by then anyway

Bike
    Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by quickbuck View Post
    Or, on to it riders notice the bikes lining up on the infield so hang a left to the pits....
    It saved a lot of waiting actually.... But then the motor had died for me by then anyway

This is for safety reasons only.
    I saw a couple of times bikes almost running up the back of one another due to people following the leader coming in on the last lap and cutting accross other bikes lines when the following rider was still coming around at race speeds.
    The infeild dummy grid is there to slow riders down and get them leaving the track as a group as this is the fastest way to get the next session under way.

Thread Information