Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do people stay alive on scooters?

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterD View Post
    You sure you were riding the same way?
    Riding a bike is bad enough but drivers definitely treat scooters differently.
    They just look straight at you and pull out anyway. Happens nearly every day.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    A big one
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Riding a bike is bad enough but drivers definitely treat scooters differently.
    They just look straight at you and pull out anyway. Happens nearly every day.
    It's not just car drivers. Other bikes treat you differently too. Even when you're on a big scooter.
    It's only when you take the piss out of a partially shaved wookie with an overactive 'me' gene and stapled on piss flaps that it becomes a problem.

Bike
    06 R None
    Quote Originally Posted by Morcs View Post
    Well I wouldve been able to get a safe distance away if required
    And he'd also see that im not a scooter rider...
    But you already stated that you were already passing cars on the motorway… surely you could have vandalised his truck in the same manner as you would have on a scooter, and while in the act you could also point out to the driver you are not a scooter rider!
    "Ability hits the mark where presumption overshoots and diffidence falls short". Nicholas of Cusa

Bike
    ducati 600ss / a 100
    Quote Originally Posted by Morcs View Post
    I just came back from Haldanes, after taking a scooter for a test ride into the city and back - its a 2 stroke 125, and i was overtaking cars on the motorway...

But just in general, in town, id sneak around the traffic at the lights, and people would purposefully cut me up - I never get that on a bike.

On the way back, i got off the motorway at ellerslie, heading into penrose, im in the left lane, and theres a truck in the right lane, his backwheels level with my front - his indicator comes on and he slows a bit, then he sees me level with his cab and he goes into a rage, honking his horn and shit, come into the roundabout and hes honking his horn and locking up his brakes behind me, I hard to dart into the gas station to avoid being killed - i wasnt even in the wrong, but because i was on a scooter.

Haldanes was just up the road, so caned it to there to get my fazer back, then charged after the cuntish truck driver to vandalise his truck, but he had gone.

I was thinking about getting a scooter as having a 10k bike purely for commuting is a bit excessive... but hell, im now scared of a 30km commute on a scooter...
    dunno the offramp but if it exits left as most do he probably couldn't see you at his back wheel thru his mirrors,
    maybe he was shocked freaked out,to see you alongside his cab
    forsale A100,awesome power.
    near ready for bucket raceing,or just a padock,beach hack.
    gotta be a good deal,surely

Bike
    2010 vfr 1200f
    does my burgman still qualify as a scooter ,being white everyone thinks im a cop.

Bike
    Gilera 180 , ,GB400/650 ,SV650
    Just make it FASTER So you can get out of the way of dick heads
    thats what I have done

Bike
    1986 Honda GB 400F
    I feel really bad cutting in line at traffic lights. I came round a roundabout once and the car in front stopped sooner than I thought, and I realised I would stop in the middle of the roundabout so I slipped beside this car. Then another car came through the roundabout behind me successfully blocking it up. When the queue began moving I went to take my place behind the car in front but the car behind wouldn't budge up. I wasn't even zipping to the front of the queue, this guy's just being a great prat for no reason.

Bike
    Honde GB400f TT
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lobster View Post
    It's not just car drivers. Other bikes treat you differently too. Even when you're on a big scooter.
    I've already noticed this, just three days into being on a bike instead of a scooter.

The bike isn't that much faster, either. I guess it's just where the engine is.

Bike
    CB125Twin, Nzeta 1961 & 63
    Whats needed by bike riders in general is a water pistol full of brake fluid. So just pull it out on those who really do you wrong and spray all along the side of their vehicle. Just make sure its a toy green one or something, otherwise there maybe a swat team heading your way ;-)

A few bicycle couriers I know spit on the offending cars windscreens when they have been knocked off or really treated badly, naughty but its a really good get back when the cars just roar off laughing and you are lying on the road (this I have seen and have happen to me several times) Apparently if you can catch em up at the next set of lights, and pay em back by lobbing one on his screen between you and him, the drivers faces turn from haughty to rage... and the bike just rides through the stopped traffic and away to safety... priceless. Not every ones cup of tea, but what can you do apart from kick their car in... and that will really get you in trouble... sometimes.
    The wife's a communist.

Bike
    2006 BMW F800ST
    Quote Originally Posted by insane1 View Post
    does my burgman still qualify as a scooter ,being white everyone thinks im a cop.
    White Scooter? It kinda makes it funny when people ask "Did you come on your scooter?"
    In space, no one can smell your fart.

Bike
    2007 Suzuki GSX1400 & 1990 Yamaha FJ1200
    Blog Entries
    I was thinking about getting a scooter as having a 10k bike purely for commuting is a bit excessive... but hell, im now scared of a 30km commute on a scooter

I'm so with you on this, those scooters rides either got huge ones or no brains...
    I ask for nothing but to ride where ever the road calls

Bike
    A big one
    Quote Originally Posted by H00dz View Post

I'm so with you on this, those scooters rides either got huge ones or no brains...
    Or both
    It's only when you take the piss out of a partially shaved wookie with an overactive 'me' gene and stapled on piss flaps that it becomes a problem.

Bike
    2007 Suzuki GSX1400 & 1990 Yamaha FJ1200
    Blog Entries
    lol your not wrong .......ssshhhh don't tell them that we're really the scaredy cats aye
    I ask for nothing but to ride where ever the road calls

Bike
    Honda VTR250 2002
    Possibly this hostility towards scooters is because they're the favoured transport of teenagers, who are quite often inconsiderate drivers with no concept of their own mortality. I live in Wellington and rode a scooter for years, but never encountered scooter-rage. Here in wellington the majority of scooter riders seem to be uni students or businessmen and hipsters on Vespas; possibly they have a better 'image' here.

Bike
    GN250 2005
    Blog Entries
    step one Headlight on at all times (a light in the mirror is more visible at a glance than a dark colored scooter or bike).

step two wear a high vis vest, you will notice the difference (even if people stop to laugh at least they aint pulling out in front of yah).

step three ride like everyone is on 'P' no matter what you ride people are stupid.

I get a little bit of scooter rage now and then.
    mostly in the worst possible place too. like this one hill that is a blind corner with an intersection at the top of the rise, you don't see a turning vehicle till it's across the centre, and that's the point where peeps decide to pass using the right hand lane every time .

alot of people have this insane thought "it's just a scooter, why won't he move out of the way?" you can be doing 70 in a 50km/h zone and they will drive up your ass signaling to pass.... hey at least they signaled.

unfortunately I don't ride a bike yet so I can't be sure of the difference, I live with the fact that everyone out there (including myself) are idiots, and I prepare for the worst.

it's odd how people are more willing to admit scooters get a bum time than to admit that their riders deserve a nod or wave :P

Thread Information