Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do people stay alive on scooters?

Bike
    Its a Boat

Scooters are For

Quote Originally Posted by Parabola View Post
    Possibly this hostility towards scooters is because they're the favoured transport of teenagers, who are quite often inconsiderate drivers with no concept of their own mortality. I live in Wellington and rode a scooter for years, but never encountered scooter-rage. Here in wellington the majority of scooter riders seem to be uni students or businessmen and hipsters on Vespas; possibly they have a better 'image' here.
    Teenages/Male Hair Dressers/Posties/un-cool Punks/Dicks in Suits/Dicks not in Suits/Pizza Delivery people (bless em') and Government runners.

Bike
    '69 Lambretta & SR400
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    un-cool Punks
    By a process of illumination, that must be me...who are you, the fashion police?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lobster View Post
    Only a homo puts an engine back together WITHOUT making it go faster.

Bike
    2015 GSR750
    dude, if you want to stay alive on a scooter or bike you never! ride level with the cab of a truck in the next lane....... its just common sense. You're lucky he saw you at all. either get in front, or sit behind where he can see you in his mirrors. If I was driving a truck around all day I would get pissed off with people hiding in my blind spots. try to stay alive.

Bike
    2015 Triumph Bonneville
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    Teenages/Male Hair Dressers/Posties/un-cool Punks/Dicks in Suits/Dicks not in Suits/Pizza Delivery people (bless em') and Government runners.

I'm more of an "un-cool Dick not in suit"....
    "No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does."

Bike
    2008 Kawasaki ninja 250
    I might be wrong, but don't people percieve motorbike riders alot more intimidating than scooter riders? I'm the first ever motorbike rider in an arab family, and the first thing my mum thought of was that i was now and forever gang affiliated. Even if people know that bikers are not necessarily gang affiliated, bikes definatly tend to radiate the 'don't mess with me' type of message. Scooters are, for me anyways, ridiculous and wimpy, and i can't help but scoff at every scooter i see, especially if they'r reving the shit out of it. It's like a house cat trying to roar!

Anyways, point is, since people may percieve these two riders in these ways, it makes sense that on a scooter u'd be more abused than on a bike. Plus scooter riders tend to be alot more cocky than bikers, especially in their way of reckless riding. Even with my L plate on, and i commute from albany to city on almost a daily basis, people i find are considerate and although some can be bastards, i just give them a fair warning by flashing my lights at them. If they don't ease off, i kick their door in while i ride past.

Is it possible to get a scooter rider's opinion on this matter? because frankly, i'm amazed that there isn't more focus on scooter accidents than bike accidents since more people are riding scooters and they seem to be far more reckless and inconsiderate on the roads. Especially riding around in jandals and shorts!!
    Philosophy 1: Bikers are so full of shit kuz we ride for so long, our butt cheeks mould into one, leaving one exit for shit to escape!

Biker Philosophy 2 - A Manpon will do more penetration then a thumbs up. - Compliments of Dean

Bike
    2015 Triumph Bonneville
    Quote Originally Posted by kunoichi View Post
    Is it possible to get a scooter rider's opinion on this matter? because frankly, i'm amazed that there isn't more focus on scooter accidents than bike accidents since more people are riding scooters and they seem to be far more reckless and inconsiderate on the roads. Especially riding around in jandals and shorts!!
    Jandals and shorts are compulsory attire

I wouldn't wear a helmet if I could get away with it, just my tweed hat on backwards
    "No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does."

Bike
    2008 Kawasaki ninja 250
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatcap View Post
    Jandals and shorts are compulsory attire

I wouldn't wear a helmet if I could get away with it, just my tweed hat on backwards
    lol. I find it hilarious how people put up their hands to volunteer to have their brains smeared on the road. I'v had my first crash, and i, for one, and glad i had my gear. And if my partner didn't have his gear on for his crash, i would dragged him out of his grave by his ear and make him wish he were dead!
    Philosophy 1: Bikers are so full of shit kuz we ride for so long, our butt cheeks mould into one, leaving one exit for shit to escape!

Biker Philosophy 2 - A Manpon will do more penetration then a thumbs up. - Compliments of Dean

Bike
    2015 Triumph Bonneville
    lol. I find it hilarious how people put up their hands to volunteer to have their brains smeared on the road. I'v had my first crash, and i, for one, and glad i had my gear. And if my partner didn't have his gear on for his crash, i would dragged him out of his grave by his ear and make him wish he were dead!
    If you take that safety logic a bit further, a cager might say motorcyclists in general are volunteering to have their brains smeared on the road.

Who's definition of "safe" should be applied?

Bike
    '69 Lambretta & SR400
    lol. I find it hilarious how people put up their hands to volunteer to have their brains smeared on the road. I'v had my first crash,
    Ah well there you go, I'm still waiting for mine...I find it hilarious how many people put their hand up to fall off by riding outside their skill levels and reaction times...

Bike
    2015 Triumph Bonneville
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterD View Post
    Ah well there you go, I'm still waiting for mine...I find it hilarious how many people put their hand up to fall off by riding outside their skill levels and reaction times...
    ...and you should have both hands on the handle bars....

Bike
    '69 Lambretta & SR400
    ...and you should have both hands on the handle bars....
    Yeah, but how would I txt otherwise?

Bike
    2015 Triumph Bonneville
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterD View Post
    Yeah, but how would I txt otherwise?
    You can only do that in between puffs on your cigarette

Bike
    '69 Lambretta & SR400
    Smoking's easy - it's rolling up that's the hard part.

Bike
    Vespa GT200, LML Vespa 130, Honda NXR125
    Is that when your at the lights and let go of your unsecured excessive load, 'indian' styles' and it all goes to shite and falls off at an intersection?
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmay View Post
    goes like a whore on P

Bike
    2015 Triumph Bonneville
    Quote Originally Posted by UberRhys View Post
    ...unsecured excessive load...
    no such thing

Thread Information