Thread: Drive belts?

Bike
    SV1000S, CX650E, Sym GTS250, etc

Drive belts?

I'm looking for a quick & dirty summary on drive belts, specifically; how does one read the code on the belt, what are the pros and cons of kevlar vs standard belts, and does anybody have a conversion chart?

My Sym 250 belt is marked "Mitsubishi Sym 23100" and appears to be made of rubber and fabric. I'm guessing the 23 part relates to belt width (23mm), but what about the 100 ? It's obviously more than 100mm in length - I would believe 100cm perhaps.

I'm also guessing that most 250s would use similar belts and so the Sym belt would most likely be similar to if not the same as for instance a Kymco 250 belt.

The variator assembly on the Sym is marked TGB (Taiwan Gold Bee, another fairly major Taiwanese manufacturer) so I guess this means that Sym don't manufacture everything in-house, and adds to my suspicion that there may well be belt commonality between brands.

So, any knowledge out there please Team ?

Cheers
    Flange

Bike
    '69 Lambretta & SR400
    Belts are defined by three numbers: Length, width and side angle...a quick google suggests that 828-22.5-30 seems to be the standard for 250cc machines out of Asia...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lobster View Post
    Only a homo puts an engine back together WITHOUT making it go faster.

Thread Information