Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Trials bike

Bike
    Orange ones! (and a few others...)

First Trials bike

I need some advice....
    I'm wanting to buy a cheap (and I mean cheap) trials bike to learn on as I'm enjoying the off road riding I'm doing but the KTM isn't really set up for learning low speed skills.
    From looking on Tardme there are always older bikes coming up for sale and the likes of a TY250 seems reasonable to me. I have no problem with older bikes as I do all my own mechanical work but I don't know any of the bikes to never buy and if there are any specific parts of trials bikes that are more critical than "normal" bikes.

Any advice and suggestions appreciated....and if anyones got a trials bike for less than $1000, I may be interested!

With your low price range you would be looking at an old Twinshock,which is not a bad thing.You will learn more on one of those than a modern trials bike - kinda like going fast on a gixathou.....anyone can do it,but it doesn't mean you are a fast rider.To ride the same lines on an old bike will require a higher skill level than on a modern.

If you are quick you may be able to get a cheap early monoshock,they are in no mans land between Twinshocks and Moderns,and so are not really in demand.But there is now a new class called Aircooled,which will bring back some of those early monoshocks - a mono drum braked TY250 would be a good one,you couldn't give them away a few years ago.

A trials bike that has been used for trials will look pretty beat up,but will be well maintained - you should be able to distinguish between a rough bike where everything is seized and broken off,and one with a dinged tank,ripped seat....but everything works perfectly.Rear shocks are the most important thing to look at,if they are stuffed,you will double your investment.They will be soft - you can nearly (but not quite) bottom them out by just pushing down on the seat....they will rebound with control,not just bounce straight up.Real trials tyres are important - someone who doesn't use it for trials will put anything on.You want the real thing,good tread,soft sidewalls and soft tread.You should be able to twist those knobs nearly 90 degrees with your fingers.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    triumph scrambler
    Owned the same TY250a twice , blardy good fun little bike . wish I still had it.
    One day the Cota 250 will roar back into life, one day.

Bike
    Can I borrow that un-used Cota then Trustme??? joking.....

Thanks for the replies guys, so far the TY250 seems to come up reasonably regularly and I will hang out until a cheapish one appears somewhere close to me.
    Motu, thanks for the pointer about the suspension, that seems to be the only expensive bit to look out for then, everything else can be fixed with wire and duct tape.

If you hear of anything, let me know.

Ta.
    Iain

You could go to a trial....seeing what they do will either get you more interested,or put you off completely.Often there are bikes for sale,or just talking to someone will give a lead to a bike for sale.I'd much rather buy a trials bike from a trials rider than a farmer or someone who just uses it as a play bike.

My Trials calender loads as gibberish,so don't know when the next one is.But I often get emailed before an event,so will post the next event if I get it.
    Waging war with society

There are quite a few early trials bikes on TM at the moment,pick of the bunch would be this TY250.....that's the mono drum brake aircooled one I said to look out for.Stump up another couple of hundred or so and get something you can't moan about.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...-206210765.htm
    Waging war with society

Bike
    Thanks fo that Motu, I have it on my watchlist but am having to be very constrained with how much I spend and don't want to insult the guy with a ridiculously low offer at this stage. It certainly looks like a reasonable buy and if I was a bit more flush with cash I would own it by now....anyone want to buy any children?

I will just have to take my time and wait to see what comes up.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    My only comment is spend as much as you can. A well spanked Euro trials bike will be a source of multiple repair sessions & spare parts (Sadly the Yam parts can be real expensive). I bought an oldie Beta (aircooled, but disc & mono) & it took ages to sort it. Then when I rode some newer bikes I had to sump up & find some more money. Around year 2000 gets a quantum leap in ability of bike.

Sell something, these bikes are great fun & you won't regret it.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    2010 KTM 300 exc
    I'm also wanting to get a trials bike in the near future...does anybody know of any trials clubs in the auckland region? I'd like to go to watch an event in the upper north island sometime.

There is no club as such in the Auckland area - it used to be the Northern Trials Group,which may or may not be still going.Up until a couple of years ago the Classic and Twinshock trials were put on by Auckland riders,and still are to a less degree.Hamilton and Tauranga have good trials events.

Next trial is run by the Hamilton M/C on 5 April.It's round 2 of the Aircooled series,at Arthurs Rd Te Pahu.
    Waging war with society

Bike
    2010 KTM 300 exc
    Just found on the Hamilton Motorcycle club pages that there is an event on the 22nd of March. Listed as:
    HMCC Trials Champs Rd 2 Mar 22nd
    @ Howletts

I don't know where "Howletts" is! Anybody here know? I will try to contact Hamilton M/C Club to find out as I am quite keen to go have a look.

Bike
    2018 GSXS1000
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisis management View Post
    Thanks fo that Motu, I have it on my watchlist but am having to be very constrained with how much I spend and don't want to insult the guy with a ridiculously low offer at this stage. It certainly looks like a reasonable buy and if I was a bit more flush with cash I would own it by now....anyone want to buy any children?

I will just have to take my time and wait to see what comes up.
    how much do you want for the children?

Bike
    I might have known you would show up Carver! Unfortunately it was one of those throw away comments mate. My daughters a bit old for you and not in this country, my son's your age but probably wouldn't appreciate the gay boy life style.
    Mind you, he is well involved with extreme sports so you may be able to exchange stories...

Bike
    Sandpit 2 Smoker
    Quote Originally Posted by Motu View Post
    There is no club as such in the Auckland area - it used to be the Northern Trials Group,which may or may not be still going.Up until a couple of years ago the Classic and Twinshock trials were put on by Auckland riders,and still are to a less degree.Hamilton and Tauranga have good trials events.

Next trial is run by the Hamilton M/C on 5 April.It's round 2 of the Aircooled series,at Arthurs Rd Te Pahu.
    We have a trials area @ The Kawsaki Sandpit, Woodhill. Guess what..Its FREE.

Just rock up and sign in and you can play on the rocks, pipes tyres etc all day.For nought!!!

Its got some good tech bits and the plan is to have a bike available at a reasonable hourly rate for folks to trial(yes, theres the pun). Then you can decide if you like it or not before buying a bike, or just use ours when ever for practice.

This should happen within the next few months.

Bike
    2007 HondaXL1000V Varadero and 14 others
    Iain, give me a yell about taking a bike to the Sandpit (see post above).

Cheers

Pete

Thread Information