Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Motorcycle 6R restricted license practical test

Bike
    CBR1000RR ON HOLD no money for you ACC!
    Quote Originally Posted by svp View Post
    I just want to confirm that the right line to ride on the road is inline with the right-hand rear wheel of the car in front of you?

I am about to sit my test

Thanks
    Yes and no!
    I did my full last week and tester told me after i passed that only issue was my position on the road and it was me not being in centre of the lane but close to the while lines....so i guess it depends on who you get, i would suggest sit smack bang in the middle of your lane unless there are parked cars on the side.

Either way its nothing you are going to fail on so rather concetrate on other things like speed,mirrors and indicating....

Bike
    I was told at my restricted and at my full test - both of which I passed, ride at the speed limit of 50. do not go under it or you are thought to be a hazard to other drivers.
    My speedo was wrong and I nearly failed because I was not doing 50km, I was doing closer to 40 than 50. I clarified this when I did my full test and was told to speed rather than go too slow (wtf?) So I hauled ass on the open road part of the test and passed! Weird.......
    I would double check with the tester, or stick to 50k or whatever the signs say

Bike
    CBR1000RR ON HOLD no money for you ACC!
    Quote Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
    I was told at my restricted and at my full test - both of which I passed, ride at the speed limit of 50. do not go under it or you are thought to be a hazard to other drivers.
    My speedo was wrong and I nearly failed because I was not doing 50km, I was doing closer to 40 than 50. I clarified this when I did my full test and was told to speed rather than go too slow (wtf?) So I hauled ass on the open road part of the test and passed! Weird.......
    I would double check with the tester, or stick to 50k or whatever the signs say
    Ditto! Tester told me to speed up as well in 80K zone (i had about 85 km/h on the speedo) and he told me he wont fail me if i go 5kms over as thats fine..... but as you say clarify all this with him before the ride, at least he will see you are sensible person and iam sure they always appreciate friendly and polite person who wants to chat about safety/rules but dont be a kiss ass!
    (iam pretty sure being friendly scored me some points right there)

Bike
    2012 Suzuki Boulevard M50
    Anyone done a 6R or 6F test in Mt Maunganui?

I understand that all Tauranga candidates go over to the Mount to do their road tests.

Just wanted to know what area the tests goes through - good excuse to get some riding in. "But Dear, I have to go over to the Mount to familiarise myself with the roads where I'll be doing my restricted license test in four months time."

Good point about having a chat about the examiner's attitude to speed, below 50 you will be a bloody hazard to other road users - and a hazard to yourself because the other road users will likely hit you.

Bike
    Suzuki GSX250r
    Hi all

Sitting my 6R this week (hope the weather is kind to me!!). I just have a query about the opening post where it says put both feet down when stopped?
    What have others found? Must this be done or is the usual over on 1 foot fine?

Bike
    2018 Moto Guzzi V9
    When I did mine the examiner warned me for rolling through a stop sign so i would be inclined to put both feet down & be sure to totally stop.
    I'm doing my full in the morning & the forcast is rain, oh joy.

Bike
    2012 Suzuki Boulevard M50
    Preparation:
    Look up the weather for the intended test date, no good riding in poor weather and slippery surface.

Yeah right. With only one examiner at Mt Maunganui I had to book two weeks ahead for my 6R test next Thursday the 26th. I was told that the test will go ahead come rain, hail, snow - test will be cancelled only if the road is flooded.

Guess I'll just ride slower if its raining, surely they'll accept slowness if it is in the interests of safety.

Bike
    Suzuki GSX250r
    Sat it today and passed with ease - thankfully the weather cleared up!

Sat it at Browns Bay (Auckland) with Andy - top bloke

Bike
    Your mom
    I found the hardest part of the 6R was having to do a U turn on a sports bike on a reasonably narrow street.

Bike
    Bye not coming back
    Wow, Nice Post, i think i'll go to it, i have semi mastered the U-Turn on my bike, its abit hard tho, just wondering if you pass everything but the U-Turn part if you do it..... would you still fail and need to resit it??? that's pretty much what i'm worried as i don't have much time to learn it or i'm just to tried from work =(

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by phiretrojan View Post
    Wow, Nice Post, i think i'll go to it, i have semi mastered the U-Turn on my bike, its abit hard tho, just wondering if you pass everything but the U-Turn part if you do it..... would you still fail and need to resit it??? that's pretty much what i'm worried as i don't have much time to learn it or i'm just to tried from work =(
    The U turn on the restricted test was in a culdesac (spelling?) you know the dead end street that has the turning area. I did heaps of those at slow speed - I just slowed right up to nearly stopped, and quietly popped down into first and did it from there.

Bike
    Bye not coming back
    Quote Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
    The U turn on the restricted test was in a culdesac (spelling?) you know the dead end street that has the turning area. I did heaps of those at slow speed - I just slowed right up to nearly stopped, and quietly popped down into first and did it from there.
    oh, crap that makes it more harder right? i was thinking U-turn as in roundabout

Bike
    a fucking hornet
    Quote Originally Posted by phiretrojan View Post
    oh, crap that makes it more harder right? i was thinking U-turn as in roundabout
    relax and practice

plastic fabricator/welder here if you need a hand ! will work for beer/bourbon/booze

come ride the southern roads www.southernrider.co.nz

Bike
    2007 Yamaha Scorpio SX4 225cc
    Before I went for my Restricted I just practiced Hill starting. Am totally useless at those still...lol.. And U Turns in a park car park.

Basically I would indicate left, pull over to stop, check mirrors, check in front, check over shoulder, indicate right, look to where I was going and off I went then indicated left to pull over and wait for instruction.

Thats what I did on my restricted test. My UTurn was in a very narrow side street with parked cars on either side.
    Looking forward to getting out and practice practice and practice.

Bike
    2012 RSS Spyder
    I passed my 6R yesterday, amazing really......I was sure I would fail, and the nerves were getting to me a bit. The first time I ever rode a motorbike(2 wheeled) was when I went for training to achieve my basic handlers. 6 months on I have my restricted.

The U turn was what I dreaded most, but I managed to achieve it on a busy road, which was narrow, fairly sloping and had parked cars.
    My tester commented on my road positioning which I thought was supposed to be behind right rear wheel of cars etc... which I was doing but he wanted to see me more in the middle of my lane.

It was good to get out on the open road to wind up a bit.

Overall the test was easier than I thought it would be, and if I can pass it anyone can.

My only complaint was the weather, it would've been better if the blustery southerly had stayed away. But I was fairly used to it by the time I rode the 30km in to do the test in Ashvegas.
    The tester was brilliant and explained things well, and used a decent radio set which was clear to hear.
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right.
    Life can be like a shit sandwich, and some days it's always lunchtime

Thread Information