Thread: Motorcycle 6R restricted license practical test

Bike
    Suzuki Gixxer 250RR Red/Black

Post Motorcycle 6R restricted license practical test

Place: Porirua Elim Christian Church/Driving Testing Centre, Wellington
    Time: 10:45
    Bike: GZ250
    Ear Piece: Yes

Hi ya'll, i'm writing this review of my restricted license test to outline what you need to do to obtain this coveted 6R Yellow Plastic Fantastic license upgrade from your L-Plate rider . I've seen a few thread and have tried googled it about this test but not many are focus on the issues. So I'll keep it short and simple just so you can follow it and practice when preparing for the test.

Length of test: range anything from 10, 15 minutes to 30 minutes (like mine) depends on your testing officer.

Ear Piece: This one is depended on the officer preference of traditional mirror indication or modern Walkie-talkie with ear piece. I know the guy (Andrew) in Porirua did provided me with one and it was extremely helpful (aka not having to look in mirror and make out what the instructor is indicating left or right )
    He will say: "Next intersection, turn left/right/go straight."
    or "When it's safe pull over".

Preparation:
    >Look up the weather for the intended test date, no good riding in poor weather and slippery surface.

>Try to book the time before lunch time (12:00PM) and before school finishing time (3:00PM or 3:10PM). This will substantially help your conditions or passing if you do it near a school.

>Arrive at the test 1 hour in advance, it's recommended that you practice your riding around area of the test to get used to road condition (i.e. patch, tar seal, pot holes, man holes, speed bump ...etc).

>Wear protective gear (leather or textile), this will help in the marking process.

>Bike is in working condition (WoF, Rego, L-Plate, Tyre, Gas, Brake, Indicators etc...)

The test:
    >Ride like what you learn in the Road Code, go slow in corner, watch for blind cagers, middle aged woman cager, or people with funny hats (credit to Annie). If they don't see you, make eye contact or honk.

>If it's a hot day, or your visor can fog up easily, it's best to leave your visor up to ride. But watch out for dust, bugs, flying cows, hot females etc... as they can distract you from your riding

>The instructor will tell you the speed you need to ride in. I.e. In 50kmh zone, ride between 40-50kmh. In 70kmh ride between 60-70kmh. And stick to that, no more, no less .

>When you stop to wait at Give Way sign or at a stop sign, PUT BOTH OF YOUR FEET DOWN, this is an important criteria in the full license test (Subject to change with your Testing Officer, so beware if they let you pass or not).

>When turning at Give way or Stop sight. Indicate. Look to the right, then left, then right again, look in mirror then take off. Turn off indicator.

>Keep your eye on 3 things most of the time: Speed limit, mirror, and straight in front of you.

>When doing a U-Turn, do it without putting your feet down. I got pinged for this . So practice U-Turn with your clutch and throttle control to perfect this. Should be a piece of cake.

>Relax when you ride, keep a relaxed grip, your thighs should stick to the tank, and be alert of all corners and turns.

>When marking, the Testing Officer will look for your head movement to mark you for Scanning Environment criteria, so turn your head and actually look left and right or at mirror so he can tell that your looking, not just gleaming in the corner of your eyes.

After the test, he will tell what you need to do in the Full License test to pass. The restricted test should be a breeze, just demonstrate to them that you can ride a motorcycle and obey the rules.

unk:

Credit: Wellington Motorcycle for top blokes and fantastic job on offering me the possibility to ride. Hats down to ya Pete.

P.S. Could any mod sticky this or move it to the appropriate column.
    Signature!?!

Bike
    Bikeless.NNnnnooooooooo!
    Blog Entries
    Was nothing like that when I did mine.....in 1975

Somewhat related...to get a license here in Kyrgyzstan there is an official police document describing the process, tests, legal documents...it goes on for about a page then the last line reads....Or you can buy one (This was from an engish translation.)

I had a full NZ license, and correctly, for a small fee, I could exchange this for a Kyrgyz license...however the obsticles make that is impossible to do and I ended up forking out USD300 for the priviledge of driving on Kyrgyz goat tracks.

Bike
    In my country it'll cost you 200usd for the same result lol. Plus there is no graduated licensing so you can ride it straight up. Oh, it's actually 300usd for no limit cc motorcycle lol
    Signature!?!

Bike
    08 Kawasaki zx-10r
    Thanks for the write up, sitting my restricted soon so good to know what to be prepared for

Bike
    09 Triumph Bonneville SE
    Thanks for the info
    I too am looking at the R stage soon, looking at your experience, I think I should book in fairly soon. Might practice the U turn thing a bit, not something I have done a lot of, only once I think since my "Car Park Stuff". Lol

Bike
    XV 535
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by koiwoi View Post
    Thanks for the write up, sitting my restricted soon so good to know what to be prepared for
    stricted test on a zx10r? haha you have fun with that
    Quote Originally Posted by nodrog View Post
    you dont get 180+ hp out of 998cc by being nice to trees.

Bike
    08 Kawasaki zx-10r
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiflyer View Post
    stricted test on a zx10r? haha you have fun with that
    Just got my restricted, had to borrow a 250 for the test and found it pretty straight forward, just the change of bike took some getting use to, footrests not in the same place, revs to take off, no gear indicator etc.
    Noticed the weight of my bike after getting back on it straight after the test, very slow to turn in comparison to the 250, can't throw it around anywhere near as easily. The 250 was actually fun in the city, the lack of power and spongy suspension and brakes killed it though. I was planing to get a zx14 or hayabusa when I get my full for more torque down low and comfort for longer rides, but may actually look at some 600 sports for fun value after experiencing a lighter bike, definitely liked the maneuverability

Bike
    LoL, looking back at writing this thread, it actually was easy to read as a newbie on bikie. And should have stick to riding like it nonetheless.

Congrats on getting the license koiwoi, it's piss easy if you're not too nervous.

Don't forget the bling is you find this helpful >
    Signature!?!

Bike
    None at present
    Quote Originally Posted by RocKai View Post
    But watch out for dust, bugs, flying cows, hot females etc... as they can distract you from your riding
    Yeah, those flying cows are a bitch. Also, watch out for discarded fridges in the middle of the road. They're a nuisance.
    What you have in your heart will be revealed through what you have in your life.

If things are going badly in our circumstances, the answer to what is happening to us outwardly is more often than not found in the mirror.

Bike
    Suzuki SV650 S
    Took my restricted at the same place last month - had read some bad stories from a few years ago about this testing centre but everything was sweet - it was over in 10 minutes.

Now looking at doing my Streettalk course as itching to move up to the big boys toys now.

Anyone done the Streettalk course ? - apart from getting the restricted period down does it teach you much?

Bike
    2005 FLSTNI Softail Deluxe
    Blog Entries
    A lot of it depends on the tester. It might be nice to have a thread just on testers and testing stations.

Bike
    currently looking

Riding Line

I just want to confirm that the right line to ride on the road is inline with the right-hand rear wheel of the car in front of you?

I am about to sit my test

Thanks

Bike
    2010 Hyosung GT250R
    Quote Originally Posted by svp View Post
    I just want to confirm that the right line to ride on the road is inline with the right-hand rear wheel of the car in front of you?

I am about to sit my test

Thanks
    According to the road code, yes.

Bike
    currently looking
    Thanks.....

Bike
    2018 Moto Guzzi V9
    I did my 6R a couple of months ago & didnt even have to do a U turn. Just went for ride around block pretty much. traffic was heavy but. Manukau at 9am on a weekday. as I seem to spend most of my bike time in heavy traffic situation normal. Just had to remember not to split or go for small gaps as tester in car would not be able to follow.

Thread Information