Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for high performance exhaust for Yamaha Scorpio

Bike
    Yamaha Scorpio Z (2007)

Looking for high performance exhaust for Yamaha Scorpio

Hi there, I'm looking for a performance exhust for my Scorpio. Can anyone help me find a good exhust. I don't want to spend too much, but would like a good brand and quality.

Thanks

Bike
    '18 DRZ400SM
    When dealing with a muffler for a 225, you're not really going to get any performance from it, just the sound.

It's purely wank factor, which is why I did it.
    "It would be spiteful, to put jellyfish in a trifle."
    \m/ o.o \m/

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yamaha R15 View Post
    Hi there, I'm looking for a performance exhust for my Scorpio. Can anyone help me find a good exhust. I don't want to spend too much, but would like a good brand and quality.

Thanks
    Any increase in horsepower, in ANY aftermarket exaust system for a Scorpio, could be measured in (low) single figure percentage's... save your money untill you have a bike worth the effort, and money, of "performance" parts....like an FJ1200...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2010 DC Skate Shoes
    Anything made for the TTR225/230 should work good. Im pretty sure its a dirtbike that runs the same motor with bigger carb and possibly different cams. They're a pretty decent trail bike so i wouldnt be surprised if two bros made something for them - otherwise get something like the twobros/yoshi pipes for the Ninja 250 and make it work.

I think you may actually get 1-2hp over stock if it's all setup right, but with small motors its harder than you think to get it 'right'! Just ask the guys running FXR's in buckets with modified pipes and they'll tell you all about it!
    KiwiBitcher
    where opinion holds more weight than fact.

It's better to not pass and know that you could have than to pass and find out that you can't. Wait for the straight.

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    Bwahahahahahaha....

Sorry, that's not very constructive is it.

Bwahahahahahahaha.
    Vote David Bain for MNZ president

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Where are you located ###### is not on my Map of NZ

If you want cheap, for $100 you can purchase either a shorty reverse cone (425mm long) chrome muffler - be aware these are loud!
    Or
    A long 650mm Dunstall type megaphone - note these come in two designs - one has fixed steel baffles and is reasonably muted, the second has a open perforated core that can be removed for packing. The second one is loud as the packing it comes from is collected from old Asian men's undies and self destructs within 500kms! You can buy decent packing for about $40 a bag and it lasts and sounds a lot better.

Either three options may require you to get a joiner made between the new muffler and stock header depending on where the stock on joins. Any decent muffler shop will be able to make one.

You can get them online here:
    http://www.motorbikeparts.co.nz

They are Asian made but the quality of the metal and welds is surprisingly good for the price.

If you don't like them chrome a plater will strip them for $30 and you can paint them black
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	short.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	8.5 KB 
ID:	121636  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Bike
    that one in my sig
    If it was me I'd save my money and get some decent tyres instead.

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    I think the Scorpio actually sounds quite decent as it is. Nice little single. Why fuck with it?

I'm with discotex. If you want to spend money on your 225, throw away the stock plastic rim protectors and put some goddamn proper tyres on it. BT45s or BT39s both come in 18" sizes and would do very nicely.
    kiwibiker is full of love, an disrespect.
    - mikey

Bike
    S1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    If you want cheap, for $100 you can purchase either a shorty reverse cone (425mm long) chrome muffler - be aware these are loud!
    Or
    A long 650mm Dunstall type megaphone - note these come in two designs - one has fixed steel baffles and is reasonably muted, the second has a open perforated core that can be removed for packing. The second one is loud as the packing it comes from is collected from old Asian men's undies and self destructs within 500kms! You can buy decent packing for about $40 a bag and it lasts and sounds a lot better.

Either three options may require you to get a joiner made between the new muffler and stock header depending on where the stock on joins. Any decent muffler shop will be able to make one.

You can get them online here:
    http://www.motorbikeparts.co.nz

They are Asian made but the quality of the metal and welds is surprisingly good for the price.

If you don't like them chrome a plater will strip them for $30 and you can paint them black
    Someone at Unitec had one with similar muffler. It made the scorpio sound like a motard. I doubt it will increase any performance however if you want a $100 sound, then go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by discotex View Post
    If it was me I'd save my money and get some decent tyres instead.
    +1

I concur

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    Yamaha Scorpio Z (2007)
    Quote Originally Posted by EJK View Post
    Someone at Unitec had one with similar muffler. It made the scorpio sound like a motard. I doubt it will increase any performance however if you want a $100 sound, then go for it.

+1

I concur
    What is a motard and what does it sound like?
    I was thinking for getting some nice tires but stock tires are great. I have scratched my toes and foot pegs and never felt that I am losing grip.

Bike
    that one in my sig
    Quote Originally Posted by Yamaha R15 View Post
    What is a motard and what does it sound like?
    I was thinking for getting some nice tires but stock tires are great. I have scratched my toes and foot pegs and never felt that I am losing grip.
    Fair enough. The stock tyres probably do ok in the warm and dry but don't be that guy posting up "I should have listened to you guys and got some decent tyres" once it gets colder and wetter.

You should listen to EJ as he's fully explored the limits of the Scorpio

Bike
    S1000RR
    Actually the stock tires are OK. Maybe due to the bike's lightness the tyre held up well till the very edge.

Just note in the future, the Bridgestone BT45s can be fitted on Scorpios.

Edit: Oh btw, the motards sound like Bap bap bap bap bap. Well anyways have a look at this video.

I think this guy is preety awesome.

Bike
    Yamaha Scorpio Z (2007)
    Quote Originally Posted by EJK View Post
    Actually the stock tires are OK. Maybe due to the bike's lightness the tyre held up well till the very edge.

Just note in the future, the Bridgestone BT45s can be fitted on Scorpios.

Edit: Oh btw, the motards sound like Bap bap bap bap bap. Well anyways have a look at this video.

I think this guy is preety awesome.
    Hey thanks for your help. And will keep in mind about the BT 45s.

Scorpios exhust sound is like Bap bap bap bap bap...or close..

Bike
    S1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by discotex View Post
    Fair enough. The stock tyres probably do ok in the warm and dry but don't be that guy posting up "I should have listened to you guys and got some decent tyres" once it gets colder and wetter.

You should listen to EJ as he's fully explored the limits of the Scorpio
    I should have kept my Scorpio and made it into a Stunt bike like this guy in the vid.

Gah, one day... I think I'll add that to my "will do" list.

Bike
    1999 yamaha R1

Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    save your money untill you have a bike worth the effort, and money, of "performance" parts....like an FJ1200...
    Like an FJ1200? I had one of these for about 3 years. Grunty but questionable performance. It was a comfortable big sports/tourer though.

And how are those scorpion stunt riders? good skills indeed.
    A nice Pit

Thread Information