Page 42 of 44 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 LastLast

Thread: The definitive motorcycle insurance thread

Bike
    RD350 KTM790R, 2 x BMW R80G/S, XT500
    Quote Originally Posted by blanko2 View Post
    if the bike is gonna take months to fix and it's my daily it's basically a write-off for me - 3 months w/o a vehicle to get to work is incredibly shit and it's not like it's minor damage on the bike
    by the time the bike is ready i'll have had to replace it, so i'm significantly out-of-pocket at that point

You are not specifically insured for loss of use on a common or garden motorcycle insurance policy.
    Unless you specifically asked for a loss of use extension I don't think that the insurer is obliged to assist you (although some do).
    If a third party is at fault you should ask them (or their insurer) to pay.
    Otherwise it looks like you got what you paid for, so stop complaining...

Bike
    none of your business
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    You are not specifically insured for loss of use on a common or garden motorcycle insurance policy.
    Unless you specifically asked for a loss of use extension I don't think that the insurer is obliged to assist you (although some do).
    If a third party is at fault you should ask them (or their insurer) to pay.
    Otherwise it looks like you got what you paid for, so stop complaining...
    thanks for bein friendly - didn't realise i wasnt allowed to be 'slightly annoyed' about an insurance company /s

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    thanks for bein friendly - didn't realise i wasnt allowed to be 'slightly annoyed' about an insurance company /s
    You're allowed to be as annoyed as you want, but to elicit sympathy the annoyance needs to be justified. From the information you've supplied so far it's not realistic to blame the insurance company.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    You're new to the internet, ain't you?

Also, I bet you:

1. bought the cheapest cover you could find.
    2. never read the policy until after the claim (if then).
    3. have never complained to the bike dealer about the time frame for parts.

It seems that the bike manufacturer is probably the culprit here...

Bike
    MT09
    What is the best way to get insurance cover for one month?

I'm visiting from the UK and picking up a bike next week. Looking to insure it for theft primarily, but would like the best cover I can get.

I've already got travel insurance that covers me - I just want to make sure the bike is covered! It is a Yamaha MT09.

I'm touring so I don't have a permanent NZ address.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by ddl.moto View Post
    What is the best way to get insurance cover for one month?

I'm visiting from the UK and picking up a bike next week. Looking to insure it for theft primarily, but would like the best cover I can get.

I've already got travel insurance that covers me - I just want to make sure the bike is covered! It is a Yamaha MT09.

I'm touring so I don't have a permanent NZ address.

Try these brokers: https://www.kiwibike.co.nz/ . They're reputable and helpful.

Bike
    MT09
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Try these brokers: https://www.kiwibike.co.nz/ . They're reputable and helpful.
    Thanks I've sent them an e-mail!

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    I was using a certain insurance company while I lived in Christchurch.

Or at least, I used a certain broker, who was under written by Vero. $1050 per year. It was too expensive, but I just couldn't be bothered changing. I had a degree of loyalty to the broker, as he had been awesome to the motorcycle community after the earthquakes.

I moved to Wellington, and the price went up to $1750. So I did some enquiries, and found a different broker, also under written by Vero, was $650 per year.

So I've changed.

How can Vero do $650 through one broker, but $1750 through a different one? Seems odd.

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    I was using a certain insurance company while I lived in Christchurch.

Or at least, I used a certain broker, who was under written by Vero. $1050 per year. It was too expensive, but I just couldn't be bothered changing. I had a degree of loyalty to the broker, as he had been awesome to the motorcycle community after the earthquakes.

I moved to Wellington, and the price went up to $1750. So I did some enquiries, and found a different broker, also under written by Vero, was $650 per year.

So I've changed.

How can Vero do $650 through one broker, but $1750 through a different one? Seems odd.
    They can't, the broker/s can, depends how much they want to make, vursus how many peole they want to like them.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Broker can charge what they like. According to Mrs (ex broker), she said Vero had the worst policy wording for bikes, but that could have changed. She wondered why you don't try Kiwibiker/Star combination?
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    none of your business
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    You're new to the internet, ain't you?

Also, I bet you:

1. bought the cheapest cover you could find.
    2. never read the policy until after the claim (if then).
    3. have never complained to the bike dealer about the time frame for parts.

It seems that the bike manufacturer is probably the culprit here...
    I bought the best insurance that kiwibike would get me, being that I'd heard good things - agreed price rather than market, for instance + full gear coverage.
    how would i complain to the dealer about it if the insurance co didn't talk to me about till after they'd already agreed to fix the bike??
    it's been months now and still no bike and yeah i complained to the dealer - and insurance because i knew this was going to be the outcome.

I'm not new to the internet, but y'know, you hear that motorcyclists sympathize with each other and that this forum is ok and that's what you get, I suppose.
    dunno why I'm still bothering tbh.

Literally everyone who's heard the story thinks it's shit that the insurance co basically said "yeah all good that it's gonna be months till it's fixed, not my problem" but hey guess you guys know best! hope it happens to you one day

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Literally everyone who's heard the story thinks it's shit that the insurance co basically said "yeah all good that it's gonna be months till it's fixed, not my problem" but hey guess you guys know best! hope it happens to you one day
    I would agree that the situation is shit, but I can't see how the insurance company is the one that deserves to be blamed here. From what you have told us, the insurance company had approved the claim within a week and told the dealer that it was all good to repair the bike and it would be paid for - what more could you reasonably expect of them?

The dealer and manufacturer on the other hand . . . Wow! What a shit service! They costed out repairs, got insurance approved and then months to do the repairs? What bike is it? Did the dealer let you know that the parts would take so long to get? It's a pity the dealer didn't have a loan bike, you could have told them that they can have their loaner back when you get your bike back - then they would be out of a loaner for months. It is quite likely that the manufacturer is screwing over the dealer on parts availability and in turn the dealer is screwing over its customers.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    I bought the best insurance that kiwibike would get me, being that I'd heard good things - agreed price rather than market, for instance + full gear coverage.
    how would i complain to the dealer about it if the insurance co didn't talk to me about till after they'd already agreed to fix the bike??
    it's been months now and still no bike and yeah i complained to the dealer - and insurance because i knew this was going to be the outcome.

I'm not new to the internet, but y'know, you hear that motorcyclists sympathize with each other and that this forum is ok and that's what you get, I suppose.
    dunno why I'm still bothering tbh.

Why are you expecting the insurer to do something that is not in the contract?
    You may as well complain about the bike dealer not giving you a loan bike.

Also I'm pretty sure that the group "Literally everyone who's heard the story..." includes me.
    And I don't think it's shit, I think you're being naive (and a bit whiny).

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    Broker can charge what they like. According to Mrs (ex broker), she said Vero had the worst policy wording for bikes, but that could have changed. She wondered why you don't try Kiwibiker/Star combination?
    Went to Star. Underwritten by Vero.

Bike
    Bikes
    My 2 cents is: your beef is not with the insurer as they fulfilled their obligations when they issued instructions to carry out the required repairs.
    Your beef MAY be with the repairer, but there may be a very valid reason for the delay. Get off the keyboard and go and have a chat with the repairer.
    It's OK to disagree with me. I can't force you to be right.

Thread Information