Page 40 of 44 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: The definitive motorcycle insurance thread

Bike
    RD350 KTM790R, 2 x BMW R80G/S, XT500
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripperjon View Post
    Sum c*nt reversed into my bike outside my house, knocking it over onto my misses' scooter. Both are substantially damaged.
    The offender and their insurance have accepted liability.

Does anyone know if we should be offered substitute vehicles while ours are garage-bound?
    I doubt they will offer this. But really the accident shouldn't be affecting us, right? And if i can get a substitute in the meantime, i want it!

Thanks for your help!
    Unless your policy specifically covers a substitute vehicle then your insurer is not obliged to provide one.
    However since the other guy was at fault then he or his insurer is liable for your uninsured losses.

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripperjon View Post
    Sum c*nt reversed into my bike outside my house, knocking it over onto my misses' scooter. Both are substantially damaged.
    The offender and their insurance have accepted liability.

Does anyone know if we should be offered substitute vehicles while ours are garage-bound?
    I doubt they will offer this. But really the accident shouldn't be affecting us, right? And if i can get a substitute in the meantime, i want it!

Thanks for your help!
    If the other party have accepted liability, their insurers are liable for your loss of use. You need to instruct your insurer to let the other party's insurer understand the full cope of their liability to you.
    “PHEW.....JUST MADE IT............................. UP"

Bike
    2004 Suzuki Bandit GSF1200S

Knock for knock claim

Hi Kiwi bikers. I was knocked off my 2004 1200 Bandit by a car last year. He left the scene pretty quickly. His insurance company contacted me later saying he had filed a claim that it was my fault. My insurer (Kiwibikes with a Swann policy) advised me to file a claim myself. Result of that was a "knock-for-knock" claim settlement. Internet research tells me that my premium should not be affected but this year's renewal has gone up by 30 dollars. Kiwibikes say that is Swann's final decision.

Does anyone have a similar experience?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by bombayduck View Post
    Hi Kiwi bikers. I was knocked off my 2004 1200 Bandit by a car last year. He left the scene pretty quickly. His insurance company contacted me later saying he had filed a claim that it was my fault. My insurer (Kiwibikes with a Swann policy) advised me to file a claim myself. Result of that was a "knock-for-knock" claim settlement. Internet research tells me that my premium should not be affected but this year's renewal has gone up by 30 dollars. Kiwibikes say that is Swann's final decision.

Does anyone have a similar experience?
    Most insurance rates are going up, even if you haven't claimed.
    Depending on what your premium was in the first place, $30 doesn't sound that much...

Bike
    Kawasaki Ninja 2008, 650ER
    this year's renewal has gone up by 30 dollars. Kiwibikes say that is Swann's final decision.
    You wasted so many electrons for a $30 complain. When you get hit, using a car or a bike, ALWAYS report it to police. Most often, first to complain is considered defacto victim. Not always, but most of the time.
    If you ride like there's no tomorrow, there won't be......

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Result of that was a "knock-for-knock" claim settlement. Internet research tells me that my premium should not be affected but this year's renewal has gone up by 30 dollars. Kiwibikes say that is Swann's final decision.
    I'm not sure that your internet research is quite as good as it could be.

There are three main ways the insurance claims can go with a 2-party incident:

1. Your fault - your insurance pays for your damages, their insurance pays for theirs and then asks your insurance company to reimburse them.
    2. Their fault - their insurance pays them, your insurance pays you and then asks their insurance company to reimburse them.
    3. Knock-for-knock - their insurance pays them, your insurance pays you, neither makes a claim against the other.

In situation 1, you are going to see an increase in your premium. In situation 2, you shouldn't see any increase in your premium. In situation 3 (the situation you have mentioned), your insurance company didn't have to pay the other motorists costs, but they did have to pay you. If you ran off the road into a tree and made a claim it would work out similar for your insurance company. They have had to pay out, you would expect an increase in your premium. An increase of only $30 in your premium is pretty good considering that you have made a claim in the last year - I'd consider that a win if I were you.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkH View Post

1. Your fault - your insurance pays for your damages, their insurance pays for theirs and then asks your insurance company to reimburse them.
    2. Their fault - their insurance pays them, your insurance pays you and then asks their insurance company to reimburse them.
    3. Knock-for-knock - their insurance pays them, your insurance pays you, neither makes a claim against the other.

In situation 1, you are going to see an increase in your premium. In situation 2, you shouldn't see any increase in your premium. In situation 3 (the situation you have mentioned), your insurance company didn't have to pay the other motorists costs, but they did have to pay you. If you ran off the road into a tree and made a claim it would work out similar for your insurance company. They have had to pay out, you would expect an increase in your premium. An increase of only $30 in your premium is pretty good considering that you have made a claim in the last year - I'd consider that a win if I were you.
    Normally in #3 the not at fault party should be no worse off premium or excess wise.
    I'd say the extra $30 is just a normal increase reflecting the state of the motor insurance market (i.e. pretty fucked).

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    I'd say the extra $30 is just a normal increase reflecting the state of the motor insurance market (i.e. pretty fucked).
    That and we're still paying for the Christchurch earthquake.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Most insurance rates are going up, even if you haven't claimed.
    Depending on what your premium was in the first place, $30 doesn't sound that much...
    It was $365. I wasn't aware of the rates going up so it's good to have that context now. Thanks.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Floppy disk View Post
    You wasted so many electrons for a $30 complain. When you get hit, using a car or a bike, ALWAYS report it to police. Most often, first to complain is considered defacto victim. Not always, but most of the time.
    Lesson learnt...

Bike

I should have been clearer. It was a very low-impact fall for me so no damage to the bike. My insurer did not need to pay for repairs.

Bike
    Normally in #3 the not at fault party should be no worse off premium or excess wise.
    Reading the comments here, it does sound like that.

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    I think you are getting confused with #1 or #2 - those were my examples of at fault/not at fault.
    #3 is knock-for-knock - which is where no one is at fault or both are at fault or it is uncertain who is at fault.
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    I should have been clearer. It was a very low-impact fall for me so no damage to the bike. My insurer did not need to pay for repairs.
    Ah, that's a bit different then. In that case I would hope the $30 is just an inflationary increase since you haven't had a claim where they had to pay out.
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    I think you are getting confused with #1 or #2 - those were my examples of at fault/not at fault.
    #3 is knock-for-knock - which is where no one is at fault or both are at fault or it is uncertain who is at fault.
    No, the KfK is an insurance industry agreement whereby some (but not all) insurers agree to hold each other harmless on mv claims. The idea is that your insurers pay your damages, the other guys insurer pays his costs no mater whose fault it was. The theory is that in the long run, costs average out.

Thread Information