Page 43 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3341424344 LastLast

Thread: The definitive motorcycle insurance thread

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    According to Mrs (ex broker), she said Vero had the worst policy wording for bikes, but that could have changed.
    I used the Honda Riders Club insurance scheme when it was a thing and that used Vero. When I put my VFR in a ditch I was expecting problems, my limited experience with insurance companies was all bad. Vero were brilliant.

The thought has often occurred that there should be a website for Christchurch people to rate their insurance experiences post earthquake so we can see which companies to avoid. Probably the result would say we should avoid them all.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    none of your business
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Why are you expecting the insurer to do something that is not in the contract?
    You may as well complain about the bike dealer not giving you a loan bike.

Also I'm pretty sure that the group "Literally everyone who's heard the story..." includes me.
    And I don't think it's shit, I think you're being naive (and a bit whiny).
    cool so point me to an insurance that offers a loaner bike, and b) a manufacturer that still stores a wide array of parts in NZ coz there aint many and this isn't even an uncommon bike, it's a cmx500 - which is a pretty decently selling model.

the main thing is that i got hit by a ute, LUCKILY didn't get overly hurt, lost my main means of transportation, talked to insurance and repairer about it and neither really offer a solution - if the point of insurance is to have your mode of transportation, yknow INSURED, so you, yknow, DONT SPEND AGES WITHOUT ONE, then i chalk this up as 'a bit shit'.

if you think it's whiny to want to not have to scramble to get an alternative means of transportation coz of a bike that's gonna take yonks to fix (and that insurance knows is going to take ages to fix, and the repairers know is going to take ages to fix) then good on you, glad you are lucky to have multiple bikes and cars and whatever. good on ya, boomer.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    The repair will most likely be done by a Honda dealer not the insurance company itself. Most bike shops have loaners of some sort. If the damage is bad enough the insuance company will most likely just replace the bike. The repairer should give you an idea what parts require replacing and how long it will take to have the bike back on the road..

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by denill View Post
    My 2 cents is: your beef is not with the insurer as they fulfilled their obligations when they issued instructions to carry out the required repairs.
    Your beef MAY be with the repairer, but there may be a very valid reason for the delay. Get off the keyboard and go and have a chat with the repairer.
    What he said.

Bike
    RD350 KTM790R, 2 x BMW R80G/S, XT500
    Quote Originally Posted by blanko2 View Post
    cool so point me to an insurance that offers a loaner bike, and b) a manufacturer that still stores a wide array of parts in NZ coz there aint many and this isn't even an uncommon bike, it's a cmx500 - which is a pretty decently selling model.

the main thing is that i got hit by a ute, LUCKILY didn't get overly hurt, lost my main means of transportation, talked to insurance and repairer about it and neither really offer a solution - if the point of insurance is to have your mode of transportation, yknow INSURED, so you, yknow, DONT SPEND AGES WITHOUT ONE, then i chalk this up as 'a bit shit'.

if you think it's whiny to want to not have to scramble to get an alternative means of transportation coz of a bike that's gonna take yonks to fix (and that insurance knows is going to take ages to fix, and the repairers know is going to take ages to fix) then good on you, glad you are lucky to have multiple bikes and cars and whatever. good on ya, boomer.
    I am sorry, I was wrong.

You're not a bit whiny.

You're VERY whiny, and very boring...

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    There are many dealers that have loan bikes. Insurance companies are not generally in the business of lending bikes, that would be something that motorcycle dealers often do. It seems a bit shit that a major brand like Honda have such a long wait time for a repair, I would have expected better from them (I ride a Honda too). I was expecting you to name a motorcycle brand like Ducati or some other euro brand, the big four from Japan would have been my last picks for likely manufacturers to take months to supply parts.

I guess the lesson here is to pick a dealer that has loaner bikes to repair your bike and tell them that they can have the work only if they will lend you a bike. It would definitely motivate them to get the repair done as quick as they are able. I know that when i had an accident (also bike vs ute) the insurance company let me pick which bike shop would do the work, in my case the cost of repair would have been dearer than the bike and it was written off, I had the money in my account within a week after that.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S

Motor vehicle insurance is for monetary protection for your asset. It is never about ensuring your continued use of that asset or continuation of underlying activity (i.e. transport).

Those are different insurances, and you pay the premium accordingly. An example would be business continuity insurance.

Some motor vehicle insurances allow you to purchase the option of coverage of alternative means of transport (i.e. rentals). Again, that is an add on and paid separately.

Lastly, the onus is actually on the Ute's insurer, if insured and at fault.

Bike
    Still to get one

Insurance companies

Kia ora,

just got a a Suzuki GSX250 after getting my learner's license. Any recommendations regarding insurance companies? The only I know the most is AA because when I got my learner's the clerk at AA tried to sell me that insurance.

Thanks for your tips,
    Álvaro

Bike
    kb

Hook ups

Hey brother, my sister works at AA insurance. I can access a 20% discount. Not sure how that compares but let me know if your keen 🤙

Bike
    BMW R1200GS '06
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    Broker can charge what they like. According to Mrs (ex broker), she said Vero had the worst policy wording for bikes, but that could have changed. She wondered why you don't try Kiwibiker/Star combination?
    Hi, I just going through to get my insurance sorted, and came across this thread, I was confused at the first place but it just got worst. I obtained a quote from many provider, listed in this thread as well, and the most probable in my case to go with Kiwibike (Added my wife's scooter to the policy, and the price for two bike is barely more than the scooter alone with Protecta). I went through on the policy document, which is stated as "Star-policy" and it says the underwiter is Vero. Does it mean the whole policy is going through on two different uderwriter agent??? From this point does it really matter who I'm going with?

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    I always used Kiwibike Insurance. They are based in New Plymouth. Check 'em out at...

www.kiwibike.co.nz
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    BMW R1200GS '06
    Quote Originally Posted by slofox View Post
    I always used Kiwibike Insurance. They are based in New Plymouth. Check 'em out at...

www.kiwibike.co.nz
    Yeah, as I said they seemed to be the best value after my research as well. Also good to hear people happy with them...

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by arpa View Post
    I went through on the policy document, which is stated as "Star-policy" and it says the underwiter is Vero. Does it mean the whole policy is going through on two different uderwriter agent??? From this point does it really matter who I'm going with?
    You only need to worry about the Star wording. Vero will have their own. Mrs seems to think Star used to be underwritten by Lumley???
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    '21 Ducati Multistrada 950S
    Kiwibike (Vero underwriter) consistently gets good recommendation here.

Has anyone had any experience with Kawasaki Insurance (Zurich underwriter)?

I have been with AMI for a long time, but it seems they are now pricing themselves out of the market. Premiums are supposed to go down the longer stay with a company, not up (in absence of claims).

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Ami closed down most of their branches last year, laid off a lot of staff and put their premiums up. I among many others I have met, have ditched them. Arseholes.
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Thread Information