Page 41 of 44 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: The definitive motorcycle insurance thread

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT-09
    Probably jinxed myself but had a total loss claim within first 12 months, and the premium for new bike is same amount as old one (same model/age/value).

So, premium did not go up based on the fact I had a claim, or time elapsing.
    I was not at fault, but the other party was not identified so my insurance would not have been able to chase them for reimbursement.

Bike
    CRF250L Rally
    I always used Protecta and found them good, but when I purchased my new CRF250 Rally a year ago Protecta quoted $663 but Honda Insurance offered a better deal at $538. But this year the renewal with Honda is $675!! - same basic excess of $250.

Is all motorcycle insurance going up like this? Seems a bit excessive for my little 250 ridden by an old guy with 40 years of no claims .

Any ideas?

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by CRM View Post
    I always used Protecta and found them good, but when I purchased my new CRF250 Rally a year ago Protecta quoted $663.........
    I was with Protecta for quite a few years too and they also gave me good discounts for my IAM quals. However, last year, they hiked the rate by $100. Kiwibike found me a major insurer who more or less matched the original Protecta rate so I'm sticking with them.

Bike
    CRF250L Rally
    Just tried Kiwibike insurance - instant quote for $393 on agreed value with $500 excess, or $466 with $250 excess on market value.

What's best for 1 year old bike, agreed or market value? Is it worth phoning them to try and negotiate a better deal or is that as good as I'm likely to get?

Bike
    CRF250L Rally
    Finally settled on a Kiwibike policy on an agreed sum insured with a $500 excess for $381. Happy enough with that. The insurance company is Protecta - so sometimes it looks like going through the broker gets a much better deal .

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    I had a look at Protecta the other day. Make sure you check the fine print in the Protecta policy, eg no WoF or rego = no cover.

Bike
    Ninja 300
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    I had a look at Protecta the other day. Make sure you check the fine print in the Protecta policy, eg no WoF or rego = no cover.
    Really? where in the wording does it say that? I notice under Section 3 - Road side assistance it say you are not covered without reg and WOF. Are you able to point me to the clause you are talking about?

Bike
    RD350 KTM790R, 2 x BMW R80G/S, XT500
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    If true, that's a breach of the Insurance law Reform Acts.
    An insurer cannot rely on a exclusion that is not directly related to the cause of the claim.
    For example, an unwarranted vehicle hit from behind whilst parked - the insurer must pay, unless the reason the vehicle failed the warrant was related to the accident.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    If true, that's a breach of the Insurance law Reform Acts.
    An insurer cannot rely on a exclusion that is not directly related to the cause of the claim.
    For example, an unwarranted vehicle hit from behind whilst parked - the insurer must pay, unless the reason the vehicle failed the warrant was related to the accident.
    I misread the policy - those conditions applied only to roadside assistance.

Bike
    2008 ducati 848
    kiwibike $ 30.00 per month cheaper than my current insurer , pays to deal with people who understand bikes.
    to be old and wise you must first be young and stupid
    I do have a purpose in life , Even if it is as a warning to others

Bike
    RD350 KTM790R, 2 x BMW R80G/S, XT500
    Quote Originally Posted by tanken2 View Post
    kiwibike $ 30.00 per month cheaper than my current insurer , pays to deal with people who understand bikes.
    It pays to deal with people who pay their claims.
    Buying insurance on price is not a good idea.

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    It pays to deal with people who pay their claims.
    Buying insurance on price is not a good idea.
    Are you suggesting that you wont get that with Kiwibike?

I've had a bike insured through Kiwibike that was written off, payout was quick and easy. My current bike is the 4th one I've insured through Kiwibike, no reason not to use them IMO.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    none of your business
    Currently with kiwibike - bit unhappy
    daily motorcycle taken out - been a week of not having a replacement or anything, which is fine, acceptable i guess. Repair has been authorized but it's EOY, time frame is gonna be rubbish and currently still have no daily commute method.
    Been told to seek disputes tribunal to reimburse a rental but I don't have cash to rent a bike off-hand and i dont have a commute that suits a car (no parking, traffic is bad)

kiwibike have not been particularly helpful with this either, honestly

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Quote Originally Posted by blanko2 View Post
    Currently with kiwibike - bit unhappy
    daily motorcycle taken out - been a week of not having a replacement or anything, which is fine, acceptable i guess. Repair has been authorized but it's EOY, time frame is gonna be rubbish and currently still have no daily commute method.
    Been told to seek disputes tribunal to reimburse a rental but I don't have cash to rent a bike off-hand and i dont have a commute that suits a car (no parking, traffic is bad)

kiwibike have not been particularly helpful with this either, honestly
    Does the policy include a rental while awaiting repairs? If so then they should be providing one! If not then why are you expecting Kiwibike to sort one for you?
    The fact that repair has been authorised means that Kiwibike has done their job in a timely manner, I'm not sure why you are trying to place the blame on them.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    none of your business
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
    Does the policy include a rental while awaiting repairs? If so then they should be providing one! If not then why are you expecting Kiwibike to sort one for you?
    The fact that repair has been authorised means that Kiwibike has done their job in a timely manner, I'm not sure why you are trying to place the blame on them.
    if the bike is gonna take months to fix and it's my daily it's basically a write-off for me - 3 months w/o a vehicle to get to work is incredibly shit and it's not like it's minor damage on the bike
    by the time the bike is ready i'll have had to replace it, so i'm significantly out-of-pocket at that point

Thread Information