Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Crash test dummy: Draggin' Jeans get thumbs down

Bike
    Thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by carver View Post
    well, so i hear!
    2mm cowhide with CE armour!
    Qrace jacket and Pants Spec is 1.4mm thick, with KNOX armour, Triple Kevlar stitching with one Bonded Nylon on the external

Qrace One piece Spec is the above and quadriple stitching, three kevlar and one bonded nylon

Bonded nylon is for the color match for the leather.

Yes the best spec in NZ for off the shelf gear, can you prove me wrong?
    Ive run out of fucks to give

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by sinned View Post
    Well fitting leather is hard to beat and high impact foam is much more comfortable than hard armour.
    It's not hard to beat...it's impossible to beat.
    Last edited by Crasherfromwayback; 6th March 2010 at 16:49. Reason: Spelling woopsie

Bike
    2018 GSXS1000
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizzit View Post
    and ...... stitching ...... ???? with top quality stitching included .... ????? MMMMMmmmm must be good ....... YesireeBob !!
    hmmmmm, uh, um, well.....

Quote Originally Posted by Quasievil View Post
    Qrace jacket and Pants Spec is 1.4mm thick, with KNOX armour, Triple Kevlar stitching with one Bonded Nylon on the external

Qrace One piece Spec is the above and quadriple stitching, three kevlar and one bonded nylon

Bonded nylon is for the color match for the leather.

Yes the best spec in NZ for off the shelf gear, can you prove me wrong?
    does that mean your gear is the best?

will it outlast my current gear?

I see alpinestar have bionic neck support!

wow!

Bike
    Thinking

does that mean your gear is the best?
    will it outlast my current gear?
    I see alpinestar have bionic neck support!
    wow!
    Astars have a Bionic neck support Brace as a individual accessory, I dont think its part of a jacket.

And yes Qmoto is the best spec in NZ that Im aware of, if you find something with a better spec I would like to know, and once I know I will add the better bits to Qmoto.

Bike
    Thinking
    best in nz ya know!
    Forgot to say thanks for the plug

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizzit View Post
    and ...... stitching ...... ???? with top quality stitching included .... ????? MMMMMmmmm must be good ....... YesireeBob !!
    I thought you were anti-anyone putting down other peoples gear? Pot/kettle Gizzit!

As for stitching, perhaps there's something to it. Sam at Celtic Leathers certainly thinks so, or is he full of shit too?
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    Thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    I thought you were anti-anyone putting down other peoples gear? Pot/kettle Gizzit!

As for stitching, perhaps there's something to it. Sam at Celtic Leathers certainly thinks so, or is he full of shit too?
    Sam At Celtic has a awesome stitching method, and is certainly not full of shit, great guy and I have alot of time for him, we are starting to supply KNOX for his suits !!

Leather is not hard, I always say to customer, leather grade and thickness, stitching and armour system get those things right and you have a great set of leathers, buy on spec not price

Of course there are other things that are important, Skin Safe chemicals is a big one, Leather tanneries use some nasty shit and I have seen a few riders in NZ with some nasty rashes, if you keep away from cheap TM junk you will be sweet on that one, then of course fit and styles are important naturally.

Gizzit and Carver are just having a go at me anyway Owl

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    I'd expect nothing less from Carver! In fact I enjoy the banter between ya.
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    Thinking
    LOL, be over soon, do they have Internet in Jail ?

Bike
    2018 GSXS1000
    Blog Entries
    Astars have a Bionic neck support Brace as a individual accessory, I dont think its part of a jacket.

And yes Qmoto is the best spec in NZ that Im aware of, if you find something with a better spec I would like to know, and once I know I will add the better bits to Qmoto.
    How about 1tonne?

Forgot to say thanks for the plug
    thanks, return it some time
    just like the red

Sam At Celtic has a awesome stitching method, and is certainly not full of shit, great guy and I have alot of time for him, we are starting to supply KNOX for his suits !!

Leather is not hard, I always say to customer, leather grade and thickness, stitching and armour system get those things right and you have a great set of leathers, buy on spec not price

Of course there are other things that are important, Skin Safe chemicals is a big one, Leather tanneries use some nasty shit and I have seen a few riders in NZ with some nasty rashes, if you keep away from cheap TM junk you will be sweet on that one, then of course fit and styles are important naturally.

nah, no way, just testing your new resolve

Consistancy!

LOL, be over soon, do they have Internet in Jail ?
    yeah, and underfloor heating, and lotsa sex, i cant wait!

Bike
    Aprilia RSV Tuono R
    Quote Originally Posted by McDuck View Post
    You think? When i droped (read crashed) the 250 from 70ish (probably a little less) i lost very little skin with no real brusing (to my lower half). Pics around somwhere...
    Same(ish) I dropped my bike doing 70-80 around a roundabout Cordura pants are totally unmarked, cheap cordura jacket had 2 small holes on one arm.
    Not a mark on me though.
    The (dis)honorable Nick Smith, when you speak all I can hear is
    BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!!
    So please fuck off and die.
    Go Go, Ninja Dinosaur!!

Bike
    1997 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm
    Quote Originally Posted by vifferman View Post
    Crash 8:
    Garments: Leather pants with Knox knee armour, Teknic jacket (fully armoured), Spidi gloves, leather bike boots, AGV fullface.
    Obstacle: Road.
    Result: Sideways faceplant/unexpected dismount at ~10 km/h
    Injuries: Slight concussion for 3 days. Minor bike damage. Huge hit to pride.

So what does all this bollocks tell you?

That you should stop hitting things?

Seriously, how did you fall at 10km/hr AND get concussion from it?

EDIT: OK saw refernce to prescription drugs afterwards...
    The one thing man learns from history is that man does not learn from history
    Calvin and Hobbes: The surest sign of intelligent life out there is that it has not tried to contact us.
    Its easier to apologise than ask for permission.
    Wise words:
    Quote Originally Posted by quickbuck View Post
    It could be that I have one years experience repeated 33 times!

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by rabbai67 View Post
    Thanks for your comments. I have always suspected that Kevlar jeans were of minimal use in the event of an accident and you have convinced me. As a city dweller it is a real hassle wearing my textile gear when out and about and I often forgo it for the ease of normal clothes. I guess it is each individuals choice whether they want to take the risk or not but don't kid your self that reinforced jeans are protecting you any better than standard ones.
    I think the conclusion was different to that: It was that they DO help, but that it does depend on the crcumstances, and the ones with patches at specific areas are going to be less uselful than the type that are fully lined. I had always wondered at the sense of having lining at particular areas only, since the normal jeans part could wear away and result in the kevlar patches being moved aside in the slide.

Also, clearly kevlar lining is for abrasion resistance only- that is what kevlar was designed for. It is still just a floppy flexible material and will obviously not give you any resistance to impacts from a tree or curb.

Each accident will present a different angle of impact and place of sliding, and the only way to get the best protection will be to cover those areas that get the most impact (statistically) with harder armour, and everything with abrasion resistance.

The test that is done for safety ratings involves holding a patch of material against a particlar grade of sandpaper and seeing how long it takes to wear through. NOTE: this is NOT sliding at speed along tarmac.

From what I remember, it was like this:
    Leather 6-8 seconds.
    Kevlar jeans at about three seconds.
    Jeans at about 1.5 seconds.
    Dunno about cordura

Leather wins.

Also check this for some good advice:
    http://obairlann.net/reaper/motorcyc...nder-test.html
    Calvin and Hobbes: The surest sign of intelligent life out there is that it has not tried to contact us.
    Wise words:

Bike
    I liked this quote:

"The Sander Test
    When you've selected a set of gear, perform the following thought experiment:

Mentally, climb into all the gear you've selected. Gloves, jacket, boots, helmet, etc. Everything you will or do wear while riding your motorcycle. Now, imagine that I'm walking up to you, with my imaginary belt sander. It runs at around 30 MPH, which is a reasonable crash speed. It's loaded with 80 grit sandpaper, which is sharper than asphalt, but not as coarse. I switch on my sander, and apply it anywhere the fancy strikes me: your face, knees, ankles, butt, hands, belly, etc. Where do you recoil in pain? Where are you feeling red-hot sandpaper stripping away skin? That is where you need to improve your gear.

The purpose of this thought experiment is to demonstrate, in an easily imagined way, what happens when you're sliding along the pavement. If your gear isn't up to snuff, you will feel a great deal of pain in the places where it doesn't cover sufficiently. Think about your face, pavement grinding by 2 inches away: do you want a full-face helmet now? Think about how much actual control you'd have in a slide: will those leather chaps really help? How will you keep your butt off the pavement? If you have fingerless gloves, how will you move your hand when it's trapped under your chest as you slide? If you have any exposed skin, there's an excellent chance that you'll lose it in a crash. And remember, as we established earlier, a crash can happen at any time, and without your control. The gear you wear every time you ride will determine what happens in a crash. "
    Wise words:

Bike
    L0- M50
    [QUOTE=
    That maybe you should think about taking a taxi, mate! [/QUOTE]

hahha hate to know what his insurance might cost :P

Thread Information