Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Crash test dummy: Draggin' Jeans get thumbs down

Bike
    1997 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Steve View Post
    It was raining super hard and I was in a hurry to get to work......

Crazy Steve..
    So you did 200km/hr in the rain. Did you get to work in time?

The rain reduces friction and may have saved your jeans. Unless it was another very slippery substance that may have been accidentally laid on the road when you came off at 200 km/hr...
    The one thing man learns from history is that man does not learn from history
    Calvin and Hobbes: The surest sign of intelligent life out there is that it has not tried to contact us.
    Its easier to apologise than ask for permission.
    Wise words:
    Quote Originally Posted by quickbuck View Post
    It could be that I have one years experience repeated 33 times!

Bike
    2023 MT 09 SP
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Steve View Post
    It was raining super hard and I was in a hurry to get to work......

Crazy Steve..
    And the cops measured the skid marks... In the super heavy rain... Back on your meds Steve(what is it with steves?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mully
    The mind boggles.

Unless you were pillioning the sheep - which is more innocent I suppose (but no less baffling)

Bike
    Old Blue, Little blue
    Mr White Trash had a slight oops on the Hutt road, some years back, wearing standard jeans....something about wheelies going bad in cross winds at "severely in excess of 100kph....by a factor of 60-70%"! He was wearing the same jeans, 2 months later when telling me about it.....a couple of small abrasion holes, but still well intact.....it all boils down to luck of the draw!
    “- He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.”

Bike
    MV Augusta 2014 ABS
    .....it all boils down to luck of the draw![/QUOTE]

Came off at the sweeper at Manfeild in 1984 practise for the Castrol 6 Hour in full Leda Leathers on the grass. Result was 7 stiches in left elbow. No holes in the arm, guess the bone just went through the skin and into the extra padding on the sleeve, but leathers were in no need of repair. Tis luck of the draw...
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. (HT)

Bike
    Custom Bonnie
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by carver View Post
    whatever homo....

you just want to do bad things to him....

dont fall for homo steve P.Darth
    What's with the anti-gay derogatory remaks?
    Oh yeah, all you bible bashers are homophobes.
    [CENTER]Whatchu talkin bout Willis?

Bike
    2012 Striple
    Blog Entries
    Soft cocks, short men and godbotherers : )
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerDazz View Post
    What's with the anti-gay derogatory remaks?
    Oh yeah, all you bible bashers are homophobes.
    yeehaaa sunshine

Bike
    Aprilia RSV Tuono R
    Quote Originally Posted by bittertwistedcute View Post
    Soft cocks, short men and godbotherers : )
    Shit someone used the "G" word.... Off to PD we go.
    The (dis)honorable Nick Smith, when you speak all I can hear is
    BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!! BULLSHIT!!
    So please fuck off and die.
    Go Go, Ninja Dinosaur!!

Bike
    Triumph Speedmaster 900
    Quote Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
    A couple of weeks ago I had a short sharp disagreement with a fellow road user regarding the ownership of a certain section of road. Seeing as how I was on the bike and the other party was in a truck I rapidly came to the conclusion that discretion was the better part of valour and ran off the road with my tail between my legs.

Long story short: on a blind series of two r/h corners (classic statistic:1km from home) the truck had decided to take them both as one big curve and I came 'round the first corner to find the truck using most of my side of the road. As the road is only 5m wide at this point that didn't leave a lot of room for muggins here. A flick left and back right again had me thinking "Phew!".....right until the road came up to meet me. A patch of the road shoulder eaten away consumed the last inch I needed and the cash register started clocking up the dollar signs as the bike slid down a small bank like a seal into the sea while I skidded to halt on the road with a lil' forward roll thrown in at the end to impress the judges. Three days before I was supposed to chase, oops I mean race, at Paeroa my timing was impeccable......

I won't go into most of the usual bike damage from what was a fairly low speed crash (approx 40-50kph) but I thought it worthwhile to comment on the Draggin' Jeans I was wearing. While I realised they provide virtually no impact protection I was suprised at how poor they were at protecting from abrasions. I came down on my right knee, hip and shoulder. My shoulder still isn't right but the CE armour in my Dianese textile jacket has kept things in one piece (I think...) and I hate to think how many pieces it would be in without the armour.

In contrast I wore/tore through the Draggin's kevlar on the knee with a fairly "meaty" abrasion resulting, along with abrasions around that from the actual kevlar itself. I also lost a bit of skin high and low on my hip which would have been worse had I not been wearing a substantial belt to hold 'em up over my skinny arse. The fault here is the kevlar lining only just reaches the edge of your hip and as you slide along the pants ride around just a tad and you end up wearing through the jeans/skin rather than the kevlar next to it. Of course your jacket rides up too, hence the skin loss further up.

So, just a word of caution when choosing your bike gear: Draggin's are not a get out of jail free card, even in a low speed accident.

They're better than standard jeans and I'd consider them for commuting in the city, but that's about it. As I live rurally and mostly ride country roads at open road speeds I'll be looking at other alternatives and won't bother replacing them.

By contrast I didn't even know I'd banged my head until I saw my Shoei XR1000 was scratched up (visor too, would have been my cheek had I been wearing an open face helmet), thanks Mr Shoei.

Same to you Mr Teknic. My gloves had lost the leather off the palm heel but the kangaroo skin proved it's superior abrasion resistance by appearing scuffed but completely intact.

My Alpine Star SM-X boot ankle armouring was also nicely ground away which would have meant a trip to reconstructive surgery had I been wearing something less substantial.

Not wanting to shit in my own nest with my country neighbours means I always take it pretty easy along the 6km's to the main road despite this section being part of a nice set of corners on what is a narrow cutting in places. This also ties in conveniently with the R1 having a dickie netral switch so the 6km's allows the bike to warm up before I think about feeding it the fat, as I can't idle it on the stand.

Given that there are similar sets of corners all over the 'rapa it's pure luck that I was caught out there and got off relatively lightly. Not that I go stupid but had I been somewhere else chances are I would have been travelling at a much less forgiving pace.
    I hate to say it, but I think Draggin Jeans are a flippin rip off. Same story here, mine ripped easy and came of worse than if I had normal jeans. I still have one more set of draggins but I will never buy em again. For the price, leather is way better and you can get some Armour padding as well.
    Sorry about the accident, I have had a few cagers do the same thing, and then toot at me as though it's my fault they cut corners...... %$#^&$#&#&%^#&%&^%##%$# makes me mad, these idiots are the statistics that put our ACC taxes up, feel like rego checking them and washing there cars in brake fluid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but thats un Christian I think, supposed to turn other cheek but really I feel like the Old Testament "eye for an eye" teaching......
    I am freindly really, I only bite when provoked

Thread Information