Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HD: Snapped the drive belt

Bike
    Speed Triple

HD: Snapped the drive belt

Righto, Took my beloved bike out for a ride yesterday morning, Due to an unplanned snapping of the drive belt the ride turned into a walk. Luckily I only had to push her a few km's as Wanganui is a small town. Plus of course the smug looks and comments from the 2 fat ugly bitches outside oogies cafe brightened my day no end.

Never fear I managed to get the bike stashed, and rang up Anza to enquire about a replacement belt.

$430 motherfucking dollars, and it would be sourced from motherfucking Australia. FUCK ME, They dont bother to hold stock in the country of the most prone to fucking out and important item on the damn bikes. Its not like you can get by with a little bit of superglue and some wire, When shes snapped then thats it, Off the road.

So, Plan B, The internets,w00t w00t.All prices sourced from M&M Cycles

OEM Harley belt-$165.75USD
    Dayco Panther drive belt $122.09USD
    Gates HTD PolyChain Belt $143.19USD

So, I have a plan, Even with the current exchange rate having a lot in common with rape and pillage at a nunnery I can still save $140 dollars.

Of course, we all know the truth about the cheapest part....

https://www.mandmcycles.com/homepage.htm Bought off them a number of times, Communication is a bit crap but price's are good.

I sent them some abuse about not confirming an order and they wrote back some shit about Jesus, How everyone is blessed, Bless Harley, Bless me,bless you, bless the road..... Made me fucking laugh.

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    Game bastards you lot,my belt holds my jeans up nicely but you lot use it as a drive chain.
    Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Bike
    ZZR1100 D7
    Maybe a dumb question.

Have you tried other NZ harley dealers? Or some non-official Harley dealers like we have up here? They may have one kicking around on a shelf or can get you via the back door.

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    To not have such a crucial HD part is madness.

Go shoot (please don't) your local dealer.
    “PHEW.....JUST MADE IT............................. UP"

Bike
    Speed Triple
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxB View Post
    Maybe a dumb question.

Have you tried other NZ harley dealers? Or some non-official Harley dealers like we have up here? They may have one kicking around on a shelf or can get you via the back door.
    Nope, My Bad, I should have at least made contact with American Speed and spares, I'd bet they would have had a belt in stock. No chance of getting anything locally though.

Bike
    3 black ones
    and unless you fit it yourself there will be a few $$ labour involved - swingarm has to be removed to fit it...

Bike
    Speed Triple
    I'm looking forward to fitting it, Never done one before. Don't have a manual.Should be good.

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    how many kms did the belt last?...
    sort of wondering if i should get myself a spare belt.
    Got a manual though...
    Good luck
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Headbanger View Post
    I'm looking forward to fitting it, Never done one before. Don't have a manual.Should be good.
    PM Horse he has only recently replaced his one. Second his bike had needed in a 3 month period. Has a blog about doing his, a good step by step link on how to go about it from and the tools needed.

Bike
    04 Buell XB12R 06 WR250F
    Had the same problem when i broke my drive belt on the Buell, AMPS didn't have one, but would order one in there next shipment, (6 week wait,) f**k that
    rang around Dealers, Wellington Motorcycles had one, $327 I got that landed in Auckland, $10 bucks cheaper, than if I had of got it of the shelf at AMPS.
    The Buell is F**kin easy to change a belt, can do it in 10 min.but I think maybe a good idea to have a spare belt.
    Why would you ride that long and that gnarly stuff if you don't have to, Its what we do, we love it.
    Nathan Woods R.I.P.

Bike
    ducati 900ss Harley XLCR café racer
    regardless of what it costs to replace the belt and how long it takes to change it, it only takes one stone and you have to repeat the entire procedure

however for a lot less money you can do the obvious and fit a chain drive

easier to change gearing
    easier to change chains
    easier to fit wider tyres

fit a scottoiler and maintenance is about the same as a belt, however the chain will possibly last longer

downside is that the oil fling may be messy - but then so is half the bike disassembled to fit a new belt

Bike
    Rocket Surgery, Teutonic Tourer
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, I finished replacing the one on my Ultra two weeks ago, hell of a lot easier with the factory service manual ($120 from ANZA). It's a bit time consuming, on the FLHT the hardest part is getting the belt past the swingarm pivot, not sure how your FXD will compare in that department. I can lend you the primary locking tool Bonez made for me if you need one.

I'm a bit ambivalent about the whole belt/chain thing, on the one hand if I have to do another belt inside of a year I may just set fire to the f-ing bike (not really, but....) and am tempted to put a chain conversion kit on, but on the other hand it's been suggested to me that if they do break a chain they tend to whack holes in the primary case.

I am starting to be convinced that HD's great belt drive theory, which works well on all those asphalt and concrete US roads, isn't so hot in NZ with our endless chip seal. I did some research a couple of weeks back just exploring the options, chain conversion kits run about US$300-$400 - that's chain + sprockets, they pretty much just bolt on.

Bike
    2012 Victory Hammer & 1973 Triumph X75
    I got a stone in the belt on my Victory Vegas. Kept riding while I landed a spare.
    Took all of 15 minutes! No wheel removal, just belt guard (Top & Bottom) & front drive cover, LOVE IT!

Bike
    All of them
    I've broken a belt. In the driveway at Kiwi Rider. 30,000km.

I could break three more next week and I'd still be ahead of looking after dirty ferkin' chain.

I now keep one in stock on my bookshelf.

Changing on a Buell is a 30minute job. Hogs is harder.

Bike
    Rocket Surgery, Teutonic Tourer
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by xknuts View Post
    I got a stone in the belt on my Victory Vegas. Kept riding while I landed a spare.
    Took all of 15 minutes! No wheel removal, just belt guard (Top & Bottom) & front drive cover, LOVE IT!
    Wheel removal? Hah, I'd be laughing if it was just wheel removal. Wheel removal I could probably do on the side of the road.

Try completely removing the primary and partially retracting the swingarm pivot shaft (the same shaft that is seized into the transmission case on most bikes more than a few years old, apparently), then putting the belt on, then putting it all back together. It's a $1000 job (including the $300 for the belt) for trained mechanics who do them every day.

When I rode into ANZA on my newly re-belted Ultra I had to explain my overwhelming sense of accomplishment to the salesman that had sold me the bike last year. When I told him that I'd just done a belt replacement myself he gave me a look like I'd said I'd just ridden in from Mars.

Thread Information