Thread: KX80 doesn't run?

Bike
    1986 Kawasaki KX 80

Unhappy KX80 doesn't run?

Hi, I have a 1987 Kawasaki KX80 that has been working for a while but now I try to start it and it starts, idles high and shuts right off. It can't stay on. After that, its been a few times I removed my spark plug to take a look at it and I check on the tip of the spark plug and I see a green liquid on it (anti-freeze) and I wipe it and put it back in it and try to start it, it start but idles high and shuts right back off and can't start it if I try again. I don't know if its me that I put too much of it because when I added some the other day and went for a ride at my friends house and it was a bit hard to start when I was going to leave his place but started it and when i got back, I was turning into our driveway, I heard the idle drop a bit and it shut off and couldn't start it until then. That day, I changed the brand of oil to Castrol 2 stroke oil and added more anti-freeze (shouldn't of done that) and it can not stay on idling any more. Starts but like I said, idles up high and shuts back off. Can some body help me PLEASE??

Thank you!!!!!
    Last edited by **KX80RIDER**; 22nd March 2009 at 13:12. Reason: not complete

Bike
    01 R6, 99 KX125
    KX's are simple machines. When was the last time a piston change was done??? Did you stick to the same fuel/oil mix ratio you used on the old oil??

If anti-freeze/water is inside the bore then either you have a hole or crack between the water jackets and the bore; or your head is not torqued correctly allowing water to get into the bore (will also need a new gasket). This could be the problem causing the lack of idle and not running.

What you need to do is determine how anti-freeze got into the bore, if it was a one off or whether it is constantly getting into there. A compression/head leak test should be able to determine if the head is leaking somewhere. Alternatively you will need to take the head off and get it inspected, this taking a lot more than a simple leak test. If you haven't done the piston in a longtime then it could be a good opportunity to do a top end rebuild at the same time.

If there is no water getting into the bore then the problem will be in you Carb. This may just need a clean-out or the air screw and idle setting changed.

Bike
    1986 Kawasaki KX 80

Wink KX80 doesn't run?

Hi, thanks for your time to answer my question! Well, the top end has been rebuilt a year and a half ago. I removed the top end today and i saw that between the area where the antifreeze goes in the cylinder and the bore, the head gasket was missing a piece at that spot where I guess, caused the antifreeze to go up in the bore and caused it to be impossible to start it. I'm pretty sure thats just it then.

Thanks much!

Bike
    1986 Kawasaki KX 80

Wink KX80 doesn't run?

Hi, thanks for your time to answer my question! Well, the top end has been rebuilt a year and a half ago. I removed the top end today and i saw that between the area where the antifreeze goes in the cylinder, but between the cylinder and the bore, the head gasket was missing a piece at that spot where I guess, caused the antifreeze to go up in the bore and caused it to be impossible to start it. I think that may be the only thing that caused it.

Thanks much!

Bike
    01 R6, 99 KX125
    Sweet as, happy riding once you get it all up and going. Remember that you should do your top end around evey 50 hours of engine running hours.

Bike
    1986 Kawasaki KX 80

Blah KX80 doesn't run?

By GOD! Well thanks for telling me that! Well first, I have to buy a whole new exhaust pipe and carb boot. I also have to reinstall the carb cuzz I didn't put it well back together when I opened it up and now its pissin' gas!

Thanks!
    Last edited by **KX80RIDER**; 23rd March 2009 at 13:57. Reason: Errors

Thread Information