Thread: zxr 250 fork problem :(

Bike
    1993 Kawasaki zxr 250

zxr 250 fork problem :(

hey guys.i have a 93 zxr 250c.just replaced the fork seals.got that done all sweet but the problem is when back in the bike it sits to low.putting more oil in lifts it up but they are rock hard.i have the manual here but its copied and very hard to read.it says to put 430ml of SAE5W in dry but doing that it sits far too low.atm i have close to 500ml in to get the ride hight up but its hard riding and it is still sitting lower than normal.has anyone got any ideas what the problem could be.
    thanks

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    5 weight oil seems thin? But whatever, I'm not sure how the oil level determines the ride height. Surely that is the job of the spring/s. Did you have some bits left over after finishing the job? Like some spacers in the top to preload the springs once the top cap is screwed down.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    1993 Kawasaki zxr 250
    we put 10 weight in first but i had no movement all.the manual said to use 5 weight.when we put that in it softened it alot but its still really hard.everything that came out went back in,in the right place.the odd thing is we took 400ml out of the good fork when changing the seals but when we put 400ml back in it was far to low.its got me stuffed,cant figure it out

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Well, it's obvious that in the process of replacing a seal and reassembling etc, you have changed something. It's not the oil at fault.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    01 R6, 99 KX125
    Over filling with fork oil can result in damage to the fork valve and other internal components, not recommended.

In saying that if all parts are back in, in the correct way and you have the appropriate type and amount of oil in them then they should be the specified length that is detailed in the manual.

As for ride height are the forks fitted in the same place as they previously were (as in vertical alignment in the clamps). Also you should be able to adjust the compression and rebound to determine the softness/hardness of the forks.

Bike
    1993 Kawasaki zxr 250
    everything went bak together the right way.with the right amount of oil as in the manual it sat way to low(would bottom out on smallest bump).ive had them in and out countless times doubble checking but i cant figure it out for the life of me

Bike
    01 R6, 99 KX125
    Quote Originally Posted by notlim View Post
    everything went bak together the right way.with the right amount of oil as in the manual it sat way to low(would bottom out on smallest bump).ive had them in and out countless times doubble checking but i cant figure it out for the life of me
    There must be a something that has been missed, incorrectly installed or faulty parts. Suggest putting them into a shop to double check everything...

Also you should concentrate on the oil measurements rather than the mls put in..

Bike
    01 R6, 99 KX125
    If you want you should contact Danger on here, he spends most of his time in the dirt division. He does shocks for a living so may be able to shed more light onto your problem.

Bike
    1993 Kawasaki zxr 250
    thats the thing though,nothing has been left out and it all went back in the right order.think i may have to take it into a bike shop

Thread Information