Thread: Tighten Chain - VTR 250

Bike
    2006 Honda VTR

Tighten Chain - VTR 250

I have established my chain is loose now i need to establish wether i can fix it myself or not. Is this a pretty basic procedure.

I have big nut on the right rear the bolt coming through from the left, the adjuster markings are either side of these to ensure alignment is correct and then just behind the bolts at 90 degrees running the paralell to the bike are two nuts either side which i assume adjusts the rear wheel forward and back.

Is it simply a matter of loosening the bolt through the rear wheel and adjusting the nuts at the back?

Is the bolt going through the rear wheel reverse threaded or anything stupid like that?

Can this be done easily on a side stand?

Is it worth just taking it to a mechanic and how many arms will they charge me?

Bike
    . .
    Quote Originally Posted by ecobulb View Post
    I have established my chain is loose now i need to establish wether i can fix it myself or not. Is this a pretty basic procedure.

I have big nut on the right rear the bolt coming through from the left, the adjuster markings are either side of these to ensure alignment is correct and then just behind the bolts at 90 degrees running the paralell to the bike are two nuts either side which i assume adjusts the rear wheel forward and back.

1) Is it simply a matter of loosening the bolt through the rear wheel and adjusting the nuts at the back?

2) Is the bolt going through the rear wheel reverse threaded or anything stupid like that?

3) Can this be done easily on a side stand?

4) Is it worth just taking it to a mechanic and how many arms will they charge me?
    1) Yes. On the adjuster loosen the first nut as that locks the front nut in place. adjust with the front nut then nip the lock nut up against the front nut when adjusted. You need 25-40mm of free play at the tightest point rotate wheel first to find the tight spot and adjust there. Ensure both sides are equal and tighten axle nut.

2) No

3) Yes

4) You can do this your self.

Bring it to me and I'll do it for you. I'm in Waiuku tho.

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    As above,one thing to watch out for is when you do the axle nut up after adjusting that it doesnt tightin the chain further,slightly loose is way better than tight,whilst at it apply some chain lube.
    Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Bike
    2006 Honda VTR
    cheers guys, decided it was worth going out into the garage to do it now rather than cage it to work tomoro. Took about 4 attempts to get the tension right and a 2ft pole to lever the axle nut looser to start with but is all gravy now.

Much appreciated

Bike
    '08 DR650
    Bloody Civil students...

If you get stuck/want someone to check your work... give me a yell (Im guessing you're a UoA student)

all good bro, can check it out for ya when im in the office next _b
    Then I could get a Kb Tshirt, move to Timaru and become a full time crossdressing faggot

Bike
    Black something
    Hi Greg!

"And, look, the luscious and fecund fronds of the Silver Fern has given brilliant birth to a stupendous fruit! A red Hondaberry, desposited by a lesser known species of Plonker Gittus Maximus Idiotus."

Bike
    2006 Honda VTR
    UoA, nope UNItech, will make RM check it for me although i think it got to the right range, among the asian scrawl i found 25-35mm. The exciting part is that it was about 55 when i checked it, apparently once you get to 50 you aren't meant to be riding it anymore. Live and learn.

Will check again tonight after get home, off to the thurs night ride hopefully providing work doesn't get too busy.

Thread Information