Page 2 of 144 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: The BMW GS boxer twin thread

Bike
    Very Modded DR650
    Quote Originally Posted by Phreaky Phil View Post
    After a quick look it appears the horn and indicators are feed from the same fuse (F4 on the fuse block) The brake light is from F1 so thats a bit weird. Are you sure all fuses OK ?
    First thing I did was pull the fuses, there's only the one block next to the battery?
    They were all good, 4 x 15amp.

I have a Haynes manual with the diagrams although it only covers up to 1988, but electrikery is mostly black magic and voodoo to me.
    www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz NZ's dedicated Adventure Riding Community
    Forums, free GPS track downloads and much more. Now over 5700 members, are you one of them?

Bike
    Very Modded DR650
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    Junkmanjoe & I are starting to formulate a SI tour plan mate, you'd be very welcome to join us!!!!!!
    Interested, depends on very much on when, how long and how much though as I also have other things to spend money on and other palces to save leave for.

Of course if someone would buy my 888 then the money issue would be a lot less of an issue.
    Forums, free GPS track downloads and much more. Now over 5700 members, are you one of them?

Bike
    . .
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddieb View Post
    I SO want to do those roads. It looks like you are having fun. The Black Forest, Rainbow, Molesworth are all on my must do list.

I've done Danseys a couple of times on sportbikes, once in the snow and wouldn't mind revisiting that also.
    Cary and I did the Rainbow and molesworth in one day from Motueka to Picton including an hour lunch break in hanmer springs. Was a great day part of our south island tour. See here

Bike
    92 R80 GS

Airhead in the Sth Island

This pic is from the Omarama Saddle. Its a track runs between Omarama and St Bathans and crosses 3 stations. I believe its under doc control now and can be accessed without permission.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OMARAMA SADDLE.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	365.0 KB 
ID:	123756  

Bike
    XL650V Silver Streak!
    Interested, depends on very much on when, how long and how much though as I also have other things to spend money on and other palces to save leave for.

Of course if someone would buy my 888 then the money issue would be a lot less of an issue.
    Well Saturday the 3 of us may get a little time to chat over such things, in between diggering and returning/picking up of repaired DR's!
    Cheers, Dave

I don't need no GS for my riding.My battery seems to have died (still charging,but thoughts of diode board,gulp) and I had to push start on this flat gravel road with what some would call street tyres yesterday.Like bump starting a step through...who need a kick start?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Waimai Valley Rd.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	135.3 KB 
ID:	123761  
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    R100GSPD
    So I took the PD on the Ngawi - White Rock ride in the weekend and rode home in near torrential rain. Half way down the Wellington motorway I realised I had no brake light, indicators or horn. Suspecting water had got in somewhere and nearing home I wasn't too worried aobut it.

But now that the bike has dried out they are still not going.

My electrics are complicated by the fact that sometime in the past a Touratech IMO100 Rallye Computer & idiot lights kit, headlight & small windscreen have been installed.
    This means under my tank and behind the headlight is a mass of wires which bear no resemblance to the original setup. There's plugs and wires everywhere that have no mate and just hang around doing nothing.

I've just spent about 2 hours in the garage stripping the tank and headlight off and trying to find anything unusual, in a setup that is unusual to start with.
    I've not had any joy so far, I didn't find anything that appear to be newly broken, at least whoever installed the Touratech gear taped up all the excess wires so it's obvious they haven't just disconnected themselves, there's no bare ends handing around except for one plug which wasn't taped, but for which I can't find a mate.

One thing that has confused me, there are 2 wires running up the inside of the handlebars, they enter through a hole just above the steering head and as far as I can tell one goes up each side of the bars. I don't have heated grips so I'm confused as to what they are for, the controls on each side have a large cable that runs down the outside of the bars the same way most bikes do.
    One of the wires appears to be attached to something, there is resistance when pressure is applied, but the other set isn't and pulled out of the bars with no resistance. The ends are bare, but don't look like a new break as the wire is very oxidised.

One other item of note is that the only idiot light that seems to be working is the highbeam. The oil light doesn't come up when you switch it on, and the neutral light isn't working either.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160555

Bike
    92 R80 GS
    First thing I did was pull the fuses, there's only the one block next to the battery?
    They were all good, 4 x 15amp.

I have a Haynes manual with the diagrams although it only covers up to 1988, but electrikery is mostly black magic and voodoo to me.
    Hmmmmm, could be tricky, testing by remote control. You need a means of testing for power, a multimeter or test lamp. The first place I would be testing is for power on both sides of Fuse 4. Should be green and black wire. May be check the brake light bulb in case thats blown. Easy to follow red herrings with lectrickery, as i cant see a tie up between the brake light and the horn and indicators. A broken earth can cause grief, looks like theres several, one near the turn signal and cancelling unit looks interesting but without that the tail light wouldnt work either. Does the head light work ? This will only be relavent if it hasnt been dicked with when the TT headlight was fitted.
    Last edited by Phreaky Phil; 23rd March 2009 at 21:01. Reason: Another question

Bike
    Very Modded DR650
    Thanks, thats very interesting. Slightly different in that my indicator flashers aren't doing anything at all but some worthwhile leads to try. I have blown out and reseated every plug I could find, and I did notice one earth connection that was looking a bit sad and could do with a rewire.

Looks like it's not going to be an easy fix anyway.

Bike
    Very Modded DR650
    Quote Originally Posted by Phreaky Phil View Post
    Hmmmmm, could be tricky, testing by remote control. You need a means of testing for power, a multimeter or test lamp. The first place I would be testing is for power on both sides of Fuse 4. Should be green and black wire. May be check the brake light bulb in case thats blown. Easy to follow red herrings with lectrickery, as i cant see a tie up between the brake light and the horn and indicators. A broken earth can cause grief, looks like theres several, one near the turn signal and cancelling unit looks interesting but without that the tail light wouldnt work either. Does the head light work ? This will only be relavent if it hasnt been dicked with when the TT headlight was fitted.
    Headlight works, both main and high beam and the high beam idiot light, but not the main beam idiot light.
    Sounds like tomorrow night if time allows I'm pulling the rear brake light, checking out the switch, re-doing the dodgy looking earth which is near the turn signal unit. I have to work late though so it will depend on how late that is. This bike is my main commuter so I'm having to take the train at the moment which triples my travel time.

I have a multi meter and can test voltage and continuity but thats about it. I think I have a spare bulb I can try in the brake light also, or if worst comes to worst, rip the one out of the 800.

Bike
    Very Modded DR650

Wanted GS bits

Ventura L Brackets for a R100GS PD, Dolds are out of stock and between production runs so none are around at the moment.

Crash bar clamp that the PD bikini fairing attaches to on each side. One of mine is missing.

WOF compliant braided brake line, banjo's and bolts to suit R80G/S. My G/S just failed it's WOF cause apparently the line on it no longer complies.

Rear brake light switch to suit R80G/S. This has also died.

If no-one has any around I'm going to order them all from a dealer shortly.

Bike
    F800GS
    Not sure if this link is any good to you, but I got some stuff from them for our 2 f650's.
    A lot cheaper than the local dealer and pretty quick postage too, was quoted 4 wks for delivery localy and they delivered in about 7 days

http://www.motorworks.co.uk/index.php?q=

Bike
    Very Modded DR650

Progress, of sorts

Well, like the ADV thread BMWST? directed me to it looks like I have multiple faults.

I've discovered that my rear lightbulb had blown on 1 filament, and that the blown half had fallen onto the other filament. Stealing the bulb out of the R80 shows the brake light now works with both the front and rear brake levers.

The earth connection I thought may have been dodgy both is and isn't. It isn't cause you disconnect it and everything dies, reconnect it and the dash, ignition etc is live again. However it is dodgy cause when I pulled it apart I discovered it's just bare wire wrapped around a bolt and done up tight. I'll solder & crimp a proper spade connector on the wire and connect it back up.

i'm no closer otherwise at this stage to figure out why I've no indicators and dash lights (except high beam).

Bike
    silly green dirt bike..........DOH
    Blog Entries
    Eddieb my be test you indactor flasher unit, my have shorted out.
    I FEEL THE NEED, THE NEED FOR SPEED
    my ride picshttp://picasaweb.google.com/sueycarter
    other ride pics http://picasaweb.google.com/113645336286831595353

Bike
    92 R80 GS
    Well, like the ADV thread BMWST? directed me to it looks like I have multiple faults.

I've discovered that my rear lightbulb had blown on 1 filament, and that the blown half had fallen onto the other filament. Stealing the bulb out of the R80 shows the brake light now works with both the front and rear brake levers.

The earth connection I thought may have been dodgy both is and isn't. It isn't cause you disconnect it and everything dies, reconnect it and the dash, ignition etc is live again. However it is dodgy cause when I pulled it apart I discovered it's just bare wire wrapped around a bolt and done up tight. I'll solder & crimp a proper spade connector on the wire and connect it back up.

i'm no closer otherwise at this stage to figure out why I've no indicators and dash lights (except high beam).
    Thats OK.One thing fixed .I've looked at manual again. Need to test at fuse F4 to see if power getting there. Just had a look at my fuse block. It is the rear fuse. (numbers are in lid) Use multimer on DC volts. put -ve lead to frame. This fuse powers horn and indicators. We need to see if power getting to this point. Key must be on.

Thread Information