Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 3 point turn cop on trial

Bike
    '74 MV Augusta I wish
    Blog Entries

3 point turn cop on trial

Surely that the cop thinks that the bikes in question were exceeding 100kph is subjective and irrelevant, as it's without evidence/proof and so not acceptable in court.
    In the UK I was told this sort of evidence was not accepted, ie no proof. Even an eye witness to an accident can't say the vehicle was going too fast unless they have a calibrated speeding device

I'm not a lawyer but if this sort of evidence is accepted then an unfortunate precedent would be made going against the international norm - well UK law, Euro law and US?

Bike
    SV1000s
    unless it is proved that the bikes in question be it the actual bikes or identical equivilent riden at 100kph and at the point they were able to see the obstruction in the road, were able to stop safely in the distance available.

excess speed or rider error would be a contributing factor to the crash if they could have stopped.

Just saying.....i dont know the in's or outs of this case yet.

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    As he is no longer a cop i cant imagine it worthy of a thread,lets face it for most interweb bikers that point was the attraction.
    Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Bike
    1963 Ford Thunderbird
    Sorry, but he was in the middle of a three-point turn to chase another motorcyclist so his concentration (what little he obviously had) would have been on that, so how on earth could he - while side on to the poor buggers who hit him - judge what speed they were doing? The fact is, he did a dumb thing in a dumb place and if he had been a civilian and they had been police bike riders then he would have had his arse kicked long ago.

His adrenaline rush from seeing a speeding motorcyclist he could chase would have overridden anything else. Hope he gets done and I would feel the same way if he was Joe Bloggs rather than a (at the time) cop.

It said in the news report he had 100m of clear road in front of HIM - but did the motorcyclists have 100m of clear road when they came around the corner and found a police car totally blocking the road?
    Yes, I am pedantic about spelling and grammar so get used to it!

Bike
    Prolight 250,XR4hundy
    I know that piece of road like the back of my hand....unfortuantly he made a fuck up.
    The Heart is the drum keeping time for everyone....

Bike
    81 Sporty
    He made a mistake plain and simple that had a terrible outcome,
    it's about time for him to stand up and accept responsibility for his actions.

Bike
    Crashed it.
    Indeed. After 30 years of preaching to others, it's time he took responsibility for his own actions.
    If it wasn't for a concise set of rules, we might have to resort to common sense!

Bike
    A chubby lollipop
    Quote Originally Posted by Beemer View Post
    Sorry, but he was in the middle of a three-point turn to chase another motorcyclist so his concentration (what little he obviously had) would have been on that, so how on earth could he - while side on to the poor buggers who hit him - judge what speed they were doing? The fact is, he did a dumb thing in a dumb place and if he had been a civilian and they had been police bike riders then he would have had his arse kicked long ago.

His adrenaline rush from seeing a speeding motorcyclist he could chase would have overridden anything else. Hope he gets done and I would feel the same way if he was Joe Bloggs rather than a (at the time) cop.

It said in the news report he had 100m of clear road in front of HIM - but did the motorcyclists have 100m of clear road when they came around the corner and found a police car totally blocking the road?
    He wouldn't have heard the bikes coming for the bells on the cash register. He says he spotted (clocked, whatever) a bike doing 125kph in the other direction; Ker-fucking-ching! From that point on nothing else mattered, least of all the safety of other road users.

It'll be interesting to what comes of all this. Coz he's no longer a cop will the PCA still whitewash everything to preserve the 'integrity' of the force? Or, conversely, coz he's no longer a cop let things pan out in court with no support? Because the charges were laid when he was a cop who pays for his defence? If there are no grey areas I'm sure the legal fraternity will create some.

Anyway, cop or no cop, stupid place to do a u-turn; make him pay for all the rehab' of the riders, bikes and all, then string him up.

Bike
    A chubby lollipop
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Preload View Post
    Indeed. After 30 years of preaching to others, it's time he took responsibility for his own actions.
    Now that he can't hide behind the blue cloth, perhaps he will. Pleading not guilty did him no good in my eyes though.

Bike
    Speed Triple
    He is a piece of shit.

The right and honourable thing to do is to stand up like a man, admit he is at fault and apologise. People without honour can get fucked.

Anything else is bullshit and weak.

Bike
    HONDA CBR 250 RR, 2008 250 Kawasaki Ni.
    Why is it when accidents on our roads involving the Police being in the wrong happens, that they are quick to point the finger to those who were the innocent party involved in the accident.
    How can they comment on the 2 motorcyclists riding over the speed limit when there is no proof that they were at the time of the accident.
    Who in their right mind would do a 3 point turn where that cop did it?. Im sure they never got taught that when the were doing their training.
    The two motorcyclists involved were very lucky in coming out of with the injuries they sustained from it, as by the scene of the accident it look pretty horrific.

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke girl View Post
    Why is it when accidents on our roads involving the Police being in the wrong happens, that they are quick to point the finger to those who were the innocent party involved in the accident.
    How can they comment on the 2 motorcyclists riding over the speed limit when there is no proof that they were at the time of the accident.

Because that is the New Way (tm) and this is the 21st Century where NOBODY accepts responsibility and are always quick to point the finger at 'somebody else' when they're in the cack.

It's not JUST the Police that do this - hell, I'm sure they learned off the public they deal with so often...
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    2020 ls650 boulevard
    Quote Originally Posted by cheshirecat View Post
    Surely that the cop thinks that the bikes in question were exceeding 100kph is subjective and irrelevant, as it's without evidence/proof and so not acceptable in court.
    In the UK I was told this sort of evidence was not accepted, ie no proof. Even an eye witness to an accident can't say the vehicle was going too fast unless they have a calibrated speeding device

I'm not a lawyer but if this sort of evidence is accepted then an unfortunate precedent would be made going against the international norm - well UK law, Euro law and US?
    i had a cop down that way accuse me of speeding last time i went. couldnt get me on drink driving [funny how being sober does that...] so tried to tell me i was going over the limit instead. hmmm, lets see... cop on straight road within a limited speed zone [70k] id be a total dumbass to try that one. just cos i couldnt remember what the sign had said [read it, registered, adjusted speed accordingly and then got pulled up]

id love nothing more than to see this cop [retired or not] have the book thrown at him. i truly hope the two riders continue to recover and eventually move past this.

Bike
    A chubby lollipop
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    Because that is the New Way (tm) and this is the 21st Century where NOBODY accepts responsibility and are always quick to point the finger at 'somebody else' when they're in the cack.

It's not JUST the Police that do this - hell, I'm sure they learned off the public they deal with so often...
    The murderous public that travels at 111kph? That public?

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by peasea View Post
    The murderous public that travels at 111kph? That public?
    The very ones!!

And see post #3....
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Thread Information