Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone know about N-Zettas?

Bike
    TZFXR150, R1150GS, DRZ400, Ninja300 prod
    My Bro's got 3 of the fooken ugly things. One's getting a full resto, but the rattyist one being repowered with a electric start XR200 copy Loncin for a pisstake.

I reakon they look like a upturned bath with some handlebars and a 5' headlight on the front. They're so ugly that they will get interest anywhere you go.

Its harder to lose weight than gain horsepower.

Bike
    '69 Lambretta & SR400
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    This is strange - haven't heard of N-Zetas for years, this thread appears and next thing I see this very nice one in Wellington today
    That looks like Hudsie's scoot..moved down to Welly from Auckland a couple of years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lobster View Post
    Only a homo puts an engine back together WITHOUT making it go faster.

Bike
    01' NZ Postie CT110
    I reckon they look super mean!

Gives off a nice nostalgic vibe...

Bike
    Old Blue, Little blue
    Rode a mates one for a short time in the late '60's commuting from Browns Bay to the freezing works at Westfield. They moved along ok compared to most scooters. A couple around Auckland at the time, had Jawa 360 twins in them - they moved along rather quicker........
    “- He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.”

Bike
    '69 Lambretta & SR400
    Quote Originally Posted by SPman View Post
    A couple around Auckland at the time, had Jawa 360 twins in them - they moved along rather quicker........
    They're supposed to be pretty good for engine transplant treatment, there's a black one about with something serious stuffed under its skirts but I don't know exactly what...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lobster View Post
    Only a homo puts an engine back together WITHOUT making it go faster.

Bike
    CB125Twin, Nzeta 1961 & 63
    Ok so update on progress.

The old girl is back on her wheels, have refitted the front forks and bearings, and the plan is to put the engine back in on the weekend. Have had the head and barrel off and it looks pretty good and compression seems good too.

So need to make a few gaskets, like carb to barrel ones... they have 3 side by side in the manual and the carb body will hit the barrel if there is only one. Weird.

The electrics will be the hard part, I have an old broken wire loom and no battery or coil. Have a few clues about lectrics so we'll see how it goes.

Want to have her running next week while Im on holiday (at home), then pull it apart for paint etc.... Its still early days though
    The wife's a communist.

Bike
    -
    any pics?
    Watch out for tow ropes and quickly braking cars

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by XRVrider View Post
    Ok so update on progress.

The old girl is back on her wheels, have refitted the front forks and bearings, and the plan is to put the engine back in on the weekend. Have had the head and barrel off and it looks pretty good and compression seems good too.

So need to make a few gaskets, like carb to barrel ones... they have 3 side by side in the manual and the carb body will hit the barrel if there is only one. Weird.

The electrics will be the hard part, I have an old broken wire loom and no battery or coil. Have a few clues about lectrics so we'll see how it goes.

Want to have her running next week while Im on holiday (at home), then pull it apart for paint etc.... Its still early days though
    I think there should be a heat insulator between the carb and the barrel, so it would go barrel ->gasket->insulator->.gasket->carb. (the insulator would be like a thick bakelite gasket)
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Great, ta for that. The thickness of those layers would explain the lack of space between the carb and stud end it bolts on to without them. Was thinking to make up a gasket, maybe plastic, or some acrylic material, quite thick to space the carb out from the head sufficiently. Time to try a few things out I suppose
    The wife's a communist.

The twin pipe one I remember had electric start and a voltage regulator - so you are looking at a DC generator if that's the case.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    I think the motors were the Jawa ones, so yes, they were a DC genny diurect driven off the crankshaft. Never owned an N-Zeta, rode a C-Zeta (same thing) for about a fortnight, and owned most sizes of the Jawas of the period

The electrics were about the most unreliable thing about them, the rest was pretty solid . Seized up every so often of course, has to be expected, but nothing beyond the remedification skills of those well known two stroke repairers, Messrs Block and Mallet.

I broke several transmissions shafts too, but that was probably because I was inordinately cruel to them
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by XRVrider View Post
    Great, ta for that. The thickness of those layers would explain the lack of space between the carb and stud end it bolts on to without them. Was thinking to make up a gasket, maybe plastic, or some acrylic material, quite thick to space the carb out from the head sufficiently. Time to try a few things out I suppose

Try and find an old electrical switchboard. the real old things that look lke a piece of school blackboard.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    suzuki
    i've got a NEW OLD STOCK body for mine, should make life a little easier to assemble as they were a rust bucket.
    i'll have a dig through my spares later and see whether i've got any exhaust flanges.
    anyone that doesn't like the look of these needs to be reminded that when new the lady posing on the sales brochure was wearing a Cardigan!
    say no more

Bike
    Jellywrestler: Far out, so you got a new body at some stage... I could do with that too says the wife, but the NZeta body is actually OK ;-) How long ago did you obtain the new NZeta body... and from where, just wondering if anyone has a long lost pile of parts... hiding in their shed etc...

If you did find any of the exhaust flanges that'd be great, so long as you can part with them of course. Still looking for an english copy of a manual, nearly have one, just not quite yet.

Cheers, engine goes in today... hopefully.
    The wife's a communist.

Bike
    1995 Suzuki Volty (TU250)
    Blog Entries
    This thread really really really needs more pics.

Seriously.

Please.
    There is no such thing as bad weather; only inappropriate clothing!

Thread Information