Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone know about N-Zettas?

Bike
    CB125Twin, Nzeta 1961 & 63
    Here's pics Klingon.

Wheels were first thing to go back on to the bike, needs new suspension rubbers on but the original should last long enough to put together for a few weeks. The motor was easy to slot in, just lay the bike on its side, and lift wriggle push wriggle routine. There's been much cleaning up and checking going on lately so good to see the bike coming together with wheels etc...

Thanks to other websites for wiring diagrams and a few blokes in town who understood what coil and battery to get. All in all it wasnt too bad once I fitted what came with it, pretty much all there and after hours of tracing and testing, replacing broken wires. Then after a bit of petrol into the carb, and 40-50 monotonous kicks the old girl roared into life... really bloody roaring with no exhausts at all... bit unexpected so scared the living be-jesus out of me to be honest. Great that it ran, nice to know the engine is ok so far.

Next is to finish all the cables, fit exhaust pipes and mufflers, running her for longer and make sure all electrics doing what they need to...Bit of luck by the weekend that might be sorted and test riding around the back yard.

Its not hard to put back together but really rewarding after its been in pieces for over 15 years. After starting the engine, the first ride is what Im looking forward to next
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00875.JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	126.1 KB 
ID:	125736   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00876.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	131.7 KB 
ID:	125737   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00877.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	129.3 KB 
ID:	125738  
    The wife's a communist.

Bike
    1995 Suzuki Volty (TU250)
    Blog Entries
    Wow! I'm impressed you got it to fire up! Excellent work. Looking forward to more progress reports.
    There is no such thing as bad weather; only inappropriate clothing!

Bike
    The old girl lives... and has been around the block a few times, scuse the cliché.

The electrics are almost sorted... seems as though it has a dynastarter... as there's a key position that is to the left, anti clock, and is spring loaded. You twist the key that way and the engine turns over... and blew the dash ignition light bulb... many times until I disconnected the starter wire. Anyone know how to wire these babies up, or have one in the garage you could check for me? I need to know what wires go to and from the dynamo, regulator and ignition, theres only 2 or 3 so not too complicated I think (hope).

Anyway, she runs pretty good, and the gears were interesting to begin with until I lubed the shifter sleeve a bit. Funny when you check all first except the obvious. All in all, its real ugly cos of paint and surface rust and heaps of things to do, fix or replace, but nothing major mechanically. Am trying to get all the grit and crap out of the petrol tank and see if its rusted inside. Looks OK but the proof will be when I get a light and mirror that can see into the corners I spose. Hopefully its good enough to use, although I have another that needs to be treated for rust so should get one to work.

Some minor welding of body parts is coming up, front brake cable to crimp the end onto, the list is long.... More pics coming soon.
    The wife's a communist.

Bike
    The bike is ridable, YAY!!! Test rides have got to be the most enjoyable part of this project so far. Have conked out far enough from home to have to push it a bit though... not so fun, but its all part of it I spose

The fugly has progressed mechanically but its paintwork and 15 year old filler job are still poor. The "to do" list just never seems to get shorter, but need to get a speedo cable made up, and test fit all trims soon etc...

Name:	DSC00902.JPG 
Views:	170 
Size:	126.2 KB 
ID:	128255   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00907.JPG 
Views:	90 
Size:	124.5 KB 
ID:	128256   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00909.JPG 
Views:	173 
Size:	136.6 KB 
ID:	128257  
    The wife's a communist.

Quote Originally Posted by XRVrider View Post
    Have conked out far enough from home to have to push it a bit though... not so fun, but its all part of it I spose
    I remember that part well enough!
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    FZR 400
    never seen 1 of these, reminds me of the old external seats on the wellington cable car for some reason
    Quote Originally Posted by carbonhed View Post
    Some Kiwibiker threads contain such a wealth of fuckwittery that they should in some way be permanently removed from the digital domain, carved onto stone tablets and then launched into space to scare the living shit out of any hostile alien species that may be lurking nearby

Bike
    Its been a while since the last post but there's still s bit of action going on ;-)
    Have purchased a 502 model to do up as well. Check it, they look like the terrible twins, one a bit of a Cyclops or something and rusty faded bodies.

Pretty bad condition wise but the rust on both is only surface luckily, and its all solid underneath the soon to be removed paint. Some parts are on the way and the 502 motor is being bored soon and fully overhauled. The 501, with the horn in middle of leg shield, is going pretty well, and rides quite well, is getting pulled apart for some welding next week, then paint, new this, polish that etc... 502 to follow, all this is going to take ages, but all in good time I spose.

Still many parts to make or find, like a 502 header pipe and the indicator light bases/bulb holders (have found the lenses) and chrome ring around rear of the headlight.

They're fun to ride, go quite well and even in crap looking condition people stare and wave, bit weird but quite a laugh.

Name:	DSC00943.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	139.3 KB 
ID:	137342   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00955.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	137.9 KB 
ID:	137343   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00950.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	131.1 KB 
ID:	137344  
    The wife's a communist.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    OMG they are things of beauty!

Good on you for putting in the care and attention they need to bring them back to sparkly new!

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Just a little reminder for some inspiration (borrowed from nzeta.co.nz)

Name:	03.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	168.0 KB 
ID:	137353   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	04.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	137354  

Bike
    -
    They are awesome looking machines, saw one in MOTAT on Monday on my step-son's school trip. Good on ya for doing the restoration.
    Watch out for tow ropes and quickly braking cars

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by XRVrider View Post
    The old girl lives... and has been around the block a few times, scuse the cliché.

Anyone know how to wire these babies up, or have one in the garage you could check for me? I need to know what wires go to and from the dynamo, regulator and ignition, theres only 2 or 3 so not too complicated I think (hope).

i've got all the parts and workshop manuals and some of laurie summers old service sheets if you need copies...
    also thinking of selling my two and a half bikes

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    i've got all the parts and workshop manuals and some of laurie summers old service sheets if you need copies...
    also thinking of selling my two and a half bikes
    It would be really helpful if I could get copies Jellywrestler. The service sheets sound good too. I have copies of owners manuals and spare parts list for both Cezeta 501 and 502 as well as the Nzeta service manual. Anything more I can get my hands on is all the better though. Just name your price for your time and effort etc... ta for the offer.

What models have you got and how long you had em? Did you restore them? Might you have a spare part or 2 as well? Am looking for a few bits. Cheers
    The wife's a communist.

Bike
    So old you won't care
    You sir are a frickin legend..... Stick with it...

Bike
    Ok so a bit further down the track now.... these days the 501 is stripped and paintless, engine nearly back together and the 502's near throw away engine (from a bloke's shed down the coast) is rebored and waiting for assembly, new crank, seals and bearings all round.

Jeez its amazing how well an old shed find gunge and grit covered engine comes up with a bit of cleaning, wire brush and a steam clean. Pics to come soon.

A bloke in Czech Republic has been in contact, who's well into Cezeta's, quite amazing that over 130,000 of these were made for use in Europe and 4000 NZeta's here. We got the good end of it, with electric starters on all models and a few other bits and pieces that may have improved the scooter. If anyone is interested in these old scoots, give me a shout, can put you in touch with this guy.
    The wife's a communist.

Bike
    Both motors are together... wasnt too difficult, just a lot of cleaning and checking, making gaskets... blah blah. The carbs arent on in the pics, but are ready to fit and bit more polishing and fettling needed, the dynamo's and all electrical stuff is on... proof will be in the starting and running of course.

Need a header pipe for the 502 (single zorst) engine, and got to chrome the 501's headers... list goes on. First 3 pics are of the 502 motor, last one has 501 (twin zorst) in foreground, 502 behind.

All in all, the 501 is what I am concentrating on, like the mechanical side of things more than panel and paint, so perhaps havnt done things in the right order, but should get paint on soon.

Any recommendations on chroming anyone?

Name:	DSCF1025.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	155188   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1030.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	155189   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1053.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	155190   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0037.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	565.6 KB 
ID:	155191  
    The wife's a communist.

Thread Information