Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Metzeler Sportec M3 review

Bike
    that one in my sig

Metzeler Sportec M3 review

So I kiwifruit's advice and took myself off to Cycletreads to gets me some M3's before the HRC day on Sunday. 800km later and I thought I'd better share my initial thoughts.

The first thing I noticed was the profile of the M3 is much pointier than the BT-016's I took off. These tyres are more "flickable" than the 016's. I suspect they're probably somewhere inbetween the PP2ct and 016 but I haven't tried the PP2ct's yet.

They're bloody brilliant through tight twisties as the bike responds to inputs on the bars much more rapidly. That's saying something given the '08 600RR is well known for it's agility as it is.

The quick turn effect was a little unnerving at first as I'd end up at the apex of the corner much sooner than I expected until I got used to it and adjusted my riding style accordingly.

Off to the track for the HRC day at Taupo and I set the pressures to 30F/32R cold.

Holy shit these tyres warm up fast. I was taking a 2 full laps on the BT-016's but the M3's are pretty much good to go after the first lap. Nice.

Total grip on the rear is probably a little lower (like 5% or less) than the BT-016 at track pace but I think it's a worthy trade-off for me given I commute in the rain over winter and warm-up is important. The front was rock solid all day.

On the track you do notice that the quicker turn-in sacrifices some of the feeling of stability under braking that the BT-016 has so depending on the rider preference you might love or hate it. I'm sure playing with suspension and ride height for either tyre would get them feeling similar though.

I did have one big moment with the rear after lunch but I put that down to being hamfisted with the throttle and not adjusting pressures for the ambient temperature increase. A couple of PSI out front and rear and was fine for the rest of the day.

All in all I'm very impressed and they're just the ticket for the cold early morning autumn sessions at Taupo along with my commuting needs over winter

If you're a road rider they are great in the tight stuff and all indications are they will last really well and give you the confidence to ride harder sooner. If you have any doubt about their grip levels go ask the thou's I was riding around the outside of on Sunday

I'll come back and update later as I get a better idea of how they are wearing.

Bike
    I have had a set on the K4 and another on the K6 with the same result: the best front tyre slightly mismatched to a rear that does not behave that well under cold condition's. Watch that rear bro', in the depths of winter you will find it unpredictable.

Bike
    that one in my sig
    So what's your poison SPB? Everyone has a fav tyre but me it seems. I feel a little too liberal and open minded haha.

I'm gonna work my way through most of them eventually. Thinking SportAttack or 2ct's next.

She's a hard road finding the perfect tyre....

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by discotex View Post
    So what's your poison SPB? Everyone has a fav tyre but me it seems. I feel a little too liberal and open minded haha.

I'm gonna work my way through most of them eventually. Thinking SportAttack or 2ct's next.

She's a hard road finding the perfect tyre....
    Yes it is.
    BT016 or Sport Attack would be preferred choice. After dozens of sets of different tyres I have come to the conclusion that back to back testing is not really possible unless on the same day, same bike etc.
    Think about it..........
    Your old set are shagged and usually in the interest of cost run way to long. A new set is purchased and analysis is conducted on percieved performance of your last [well fucked] set-it's illogical!
    So for me it becomes a combination of feel, tyre life and most importantly 'moments'-how many times did the tyre behave out of the ordinary [those 'moments' are easy to remember.].............And that is why the Attacks and BT016's come out on top, and why I do not use Powers.

Bike
    that one in my sig
    Quote Originally Posted by SixPackBack View Post
    Yes it is.
    BT016 or Sport Attack would be preferred choice. After dozens of sets of different tyres I have come to the conclusion that back to back testing is not really possible unless on the same day, same bike etc.
    Think about it..........
    Yep totally agree. That's why I make a special attempt to evaluate the first 1000km and first track session then come back with my memories over the life of the tyre. But you're right it's still totally subjective and there are a bunch of variables at play.

The adage of "pick a tyre and build your setup around it" makes a lot of sense but I'm just too much of a consumer to not try a bunch first to see what works on the 600rr.

Bike
    2009 Yamaha R6
    [QUOTE=SixPackBack;1996864Your old set are shagged and usually in the interest of cost run way to long. A new set is purchased and analysis is conducted on percieved performance of your last [well fucked] set-it's illogical![/FONT]
    QUOTE]

It's not often that we read anything that is quite as true as that in this forum, and it's a point that most people overlook entirely . . . . . . . . .

Bike
    K6 GSXR 1000
    Good timing on this thread as i just called into to bike shop today to sort.....

Had the bt015,good tyres with good feed back both ends. Just finished with a set of conti's' race attack street front/sport attack rear, good front grip but little/no feed back.Rear struggled for grip while on the throttle after the apex but good feedback to let you know where the limit was.(k7 gsxr 1000).

Thinking either m3's , diablo rosso or bt016. m3's sound good an priced right, the rosso's appeal (priced even better) but never had pirelli's an don't know anyone that has had rosso.
    The third option bt016 would be safe but can't help thinking m3's or rosso.

I know a few from the darkside that swear by m3's grip/handling and mileage with track days thrown into the mix. (did see an over heated rear spin up out of the hairpin at manfield recently on one of those superduke things, could have ended ugly!!! was two riders one bike in fairness)

Does anyone have anthing good to report about the rosso??

Bike
    that one in my sig
    If you like the feedback of the 015 you would love the 016. It's a better tyre in every regard.

The M3's don't give you quite as much feel of the surface but the feel from the front is still good.

Either tyre is going to struggle to fully tame the power of a thou tho.

Bike
    Tractor
    Had the M3s on a Triumph TT600 and pretty well were nice and sticky on the road from the first ride. Did'nt do any scrubbing in etc.
    Got caught in heavy rain for over half an hour within 100kms after fitting them and they gripped exceptionally well in the wet.
    I almost hardly slowed up in the wet.
    Was truly impressed.

Bike
    95 honda cbr900rr 05 zx6rr 89gsxr750
    Bridgestone make tyres for old men , neutral steering ,stable under brakes and at speed but a little too slow in the turn in and change of direction for me , i run evrything , it's part of my job and my current faves are diablo rossos / loved the M3s as well but rossos are just that little bit better .

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Quote Originally Posted by SixPackBack View Post
    Watch that rear bro', in the depths of winter you will find it unpredictable.
    Unfortunately, after highsiding on M3s and smashing myself up a wee bit almost... two years ago now, I gotta agree. M3 rears do like to slide.

But that crash was really just me sucking at riding a motorcycle. I like the feel M3s give. One just has to bear in mind that the rear will let go sooner than, say, a PP 2CT, and ride accordingly.

Which is why I wear PP 2CTs on the 1400, even though they give about as much road feel as glass wheels on greased railway tracks.

I guess it's about what's more important to the rider - feel and agility, or absolute grip levels.
    kiwibiker is full of love, an disrespect.
    - mikey

Bike
    that one in my sig
    Quote Originally Posted by jrandom View Post
    One just has to bear in mind that the rear will let go sooner than, say, a PP 2CT, and ride accordingly.
    Hmmm that's kinda how it felt when the rear let go. But then I was pushing harder than on the 016's thanks to more track time under my belt.

Think it's something that can be helped with shock adjustment?

Bike
    1999 Suzuki SV650S
    Quote Originally Posted by mouldy View Post
    Bridgestone make tyres for old men , neutral steering ,stable under brakes and at speed but a little too slow in the turn in and change of direction for me , i run evrything , it's part of my job and my current faves are diablo rossos / loved the M3s as well but rossos are just that little bit better .
    Do you reckon Rossos are as grippy as the M3's? I had a rosso front and old diablo rear on my sv, the diablo let go too easily. The Rosso front still has some tread left. Maybe I'll get a rosso rear as well after my current set of M3's have worn out and try them. I like the M3's, it takes quite a bit to make them let go.

Quote Originally Posted by jrandom View Post
    Unfortunately, after highsiding on M3s and smashing myself up a wee bit almost... two years ago now, I gotta agree. M3 rears do like to slide.

But that crash was really just me sucking at riding a motorcycle. I like the feel M3s give. One just has to bear in mind that the rear will let go sooner than, say, a PP 2CT, and ride accordingly.

Which is why I wear PP 2CTs on the 1400, even though they give about as much road feel as glass wheels on greased railway tracks.

I guess it's about what's more important to the rider - feel and agility, or absolute grip levels.
    Thats weird, I went from a Diablo Rosso front and Diablo rear to M3's and thought the M3's didn't have much feel by comparison (but considerably more grip than the plain Diablo).

Bike
    APRILIA RSV 1000 R FACTORY

Talking

thanks might try them super corser good tyres but dont last long lol fun with them

Bike
    2004 VTR1000 - GSXR600K7
    Yeah i have them on my gixer 600 ..... What i read on the first page bout these hits it right on the nail theyre awesum tyres and wear well and good feedback i didnt like the bto16's
    Bikes For Life "Misfit Racing"

Thread Information