Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yamaha R6 sump plug bolt. HELP!

Bike
    L0 GSXR-R 1000 #87

eek Yamaha R6 sump plug bolt. HELP!

Alright to yesterday I decided to do a bit of maintenance on the ol R6. Flushed the brake fluid, flushed the coolant, was about to drop the oil when instead of loosening the sump plug I tightened it and tightened it so tight that it now spins on the spot in both directions without coming free. Can someone please tell me what my options are? As far as I see it,

1. disemble the headers and pipe and remove sump, give it to a mate to re drill and put it back ( a big mission)

2. find some sort of tool that holds and excerts force downward whilst screwing the damn bolt out ( mind you I do not have too much space), easier but will this fix the problem. I do not want bits of metal floating around in my engine.

** in the mean while I still need to get to work and I dont own a car. So I am riding it carefully (no harsh acceleration or wheelies zzzz) hopefull y the bolt wont pop out under pressure spilling a couple of litres of oil on my rear tire and seizing up my beautiful engineering marvel.

Please help an idiot learn something !!
    Firestarter Racing on facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirestarterRacing

Racing thanks to:

www.fluidcoatings.co.nz
    www.motostyle.co.nz
    MAXIMA racing Oils
    www.projectdigital.co.nz
    METZELER Tires
    New Plymouth Motorcycle Center
    www.topstitch.co.nz/

Bike
    -
    ...lefty loosey, righty tighty....?

Is pulling the headers off that much more of a deal on a multi? I suppose you'll have fairings too.

But even if you get the bolt out, you'll still have to drill the hole out and tap a new thread or helicoil it; you've farked the existing one. So either way there's going to be swarf in your sump. If you're lucky enough to have a removable sump why not just pull it.

Didn't you pause when you found it a bit tight and have a think, lol! Sump plugs are big, need a lot of torque to fuck it wouldn't you?

Bike
    Kawasaki ZX1100 Turbo
    You could get a flat head screwdriver in the gap and lever it down while turning... still means remove the sump to re tap the hole though.

Thats a right 'muppet' moment that one !

Bike
    F-18,Ginny and #66
    Blog Entries
    I'm not Mr Mechanical here Raj, but if you still wanna change the oil and make sure there is nothing floating in there , is it possible to drain the oil by removing the filter and then use one of those magnets that are on the end of a flexible road (you buy them from repco) to go around the engine and see if anything sticks to it.

Thats what comes to me mind at the mo, but all depends on how your engine is and where the filter is etc...
    Don't Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly !!!

Hey Alan, Alan, Alan....

Bike
    2003,Kawasaki ZX-9R
    Quote Originally Posted by xwhatsit View Post

Is pulling the headers off that much more of a deal on a multi? I suppose you'll have fairings too.

But even if you get the bolt out, you'll still have to drill the hole out and tap a new thread or helicoil it; you've farked the existing one. So either way there's going to be swarf in your sump. If you're lucky enough to have a removable sump why not just pull it.

Didn't you pause when you found it a bit tight and have a think, lol! Sump plugs are big, need a lot of torque to fuck it wouldn't you?
    What he said.Got to be careful when your looking from above and trying to loosen something underneath you as it is the opposite direction when viewed from above,if not sure look from below before trying to loosen it.I'm guessing the R6 has a steel sump plug and the sump is aluminium , in which case the aluminium thread is now stripped.Surprised its not leaking.If you can get some vise grips on the plug and pull or lever down on it while loosening it should come out.Will still need to pull sump off in order to drill and tap or helicoil it.
    If its not leaking do it on a weekend when you have more time to fix it.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by YamahaR64Life View Post
    Put the 1/2" ratchet down, use a 3/8" drive or a 1/4" and buy a torque wrench and learn how to use it Buy a bus ticket.

Do not try pulling the bolt out with vice grips - if you pear shape the thread, the helicoil may not succeed. There isn't a lot of metal down there to play around with.

Drill it out. Either take the motor out, or lie it down, but drill it out.

Get someone who knows what the hell they are doing, if they cock it up you'll be buying a new case or trying to find someone to weld more metal and drilling a revised drain hole.

It its not leaking too bad, leave it 'til u have the time. It ain't a 5min job.
    It is what it is

Bike
    Mid 80s superbike, Mid 00s superbike
    Don't ride it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean View Post
    Ok im coming out of my closet just this one time , I too kinda have a curvy figure which makes it worse beacuse im a guy. Well the waist kinda goes in and the bum pushes out. When I was in college the girls in my year would slap me on the arse and squeeze because apparently it is firm, tight... I wear jeans
    .....if I find this as a signature Ill hunt you down, serious, capice?

Bike
    nothing :(
    Quote Originally Posted by xwhatsit View Post

Remember valentino build the bike so it suppose too be tight
    Second is the fastest loser

"It is better to have ridden & crashed than never to have ridden at all" by Bruce Bennett

DB is the new Porridge. Cause most of the mods must be sucking his cock ..... Or his giving them some oral help? How else can you explain it?

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    You don't need to remove the sump. When/if you've removed the plug, the helicoil can be tapped using lotsa grease, which should trap the swarf. If you're worried about any swarf or filings being left in there, just pour some cheap oil or whatever in through the filler plug to wash it out.
    As to how you get the plug out, I've no idea. You've obviously stripped the threads out completely, so it should come out if a bit of outward force is applied while turning it.
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    B12
    Raj you live with Rob. He is the worst culprit ive known for turning bolts the wrong way and then fucking them. Looks like it rubbed off on yer.
    Quote Originally Posted by NinjaNanna View Post
    Wasn't me officer, honest, it was that morcs guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Littleman View Post
    Yeah I do recall, but dismissed it as being you when I saw both wheels on the ground.
    Quote Originally Posted by R6_kid View Post
    lulz, ever ridden a TL1000R? More to the point, ever ridden with teh Morcs? Didn't fink so.

Bike
    Hodor
    Quote Originally Posted by YamahaR64Life View Post
    Alright to yesterday I decided to do a bit of maintenance on the ol R6. Flushed the brake fluid, flushed the coolant, was about to drop the oil when instead of loosening the sump plug I tightened it and tightened it so tight that it now spins on the spot in both directions without coming free. Can someone please tell me what my options are? As far as I see it,

1. disemble the headers and pipe and remove sump, give it to a mate to re drill and put it back ( a big mission)

2. find some sort of tool that holds and excerts force downward whilst screwing the damn bolt out ( mind you I do not have too much space), easier but will this fix the problem. I do not want bits of metal floating around in my engine.

** in the mean while I still need to get to work and I dont own a car. So I am riding it carefully (no harsh acceleration or wheelies zzzz) hopefull y the bolt wont pop out under pressure spilling a couple of litres of oil on my rear tire and seizing up my beautiful engineering marvel.

3. Take it to a bike shop so someone who knows what the fuck they are doing can fix it

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
    3. Take it to a bike shop so someone who knows what the fuck they are doing can fix it
    yeah right!
    It is what it is

Take the sump off mate, its not a big job.
    Then I could get a Kb Tshirt, move to Timaru and become a full time crossdressing faggot

Bike
    GSXR450
    Quote Originally Posted by HDTboy View Post
    Don't ride it.

Very Very good advice. You may DIE
    I fear the day technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots! ALBERT EINSTEIN

Bike
    Triumph Daytona 1050 - one of a kind
    hacksaw it off just below the engine mounts and hang a new engine in there, preferably from a non-jappa

Thread Information