Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Scooter riders and greeting

Bike
    Dog Rooter
    Plenty of stereotypes here and not all riders fit them.

Some of us would prefer to cycle (rain or shine) to work until some bastard moves the office the other side of the city and makes it nearly 2 hours each way on a treadly or 30 minutes on a scooter. My GT200 wouldn't do 140kmh but I don't need it to as 120kmh is plenty for commuting. And the GT's underseat storage won't take a FF so it's in the Givi or on a helmet peg instead.

But the 700kms ride home from collecting the scooter at the other end of the island (while fun) got me thinking about doing that sort of thing more often but on a bike and a bit more gravelly. So I now have an XF650. If I have to do 700kms again, I'll be taking that! And yes, I have taken it out 200kms for some fish and chips when frankly The Codfather is better but the ride isn't.

I own a car and try to use it only when moving the dog (30kgs is not a backpack option) or the kayaks or the whole family.

FWIW I wear a full face, ATGATT and ride in all weather so everyone has to wave at me now

I'll nod or wave at anyone but I have kind of given up on cruiser riders unless they're on their own. Now is that me falling into stereotyping as well?

Bike
    1986 Honda GB 400F
    If anyone sees a girl in a white helmet with a black and pink jacket chugging around on a silver scooter, it's me so feel free to wave.

Bike
    A big one
    Quote Originally Posted by Danae View Post
    If anyone sees a girl in a white helmet with a black and pink jacket chugging around on a silver scooter, it's me so feel free to wave.
    Doesn't that description cover most of the girls on mopeds in auckland?
    It's only when you take the piss out of a partially shaved wookie with an overactive 'me' gene and stapled on piss flaps that it becomes a problem.

Bike
    Vespa 50s

Ha ha!

How about blue helmet, grey jacket, orange vespa?

One of these days I must think about co-ordinating colours.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lobster View Post
    Doesn't that description cover most of the girls on mopeds in auckland?

Bike
    A big one
    Quote Originally Posted by scootnz View Post
    Ha ha!

How about blue helmet, grey jacket, orange vespa?
    Orange coop?? Avert eyes..
    It's only when you take the piss out of a partially shaved wookie with an overactive 'me' gene and stapled on piss flaps that it becomes a problem.

Bike
    -
    Hmmmm, black helmet, black gloves, black jacket, black scooter. How boring am I?

Does the silver reflective piping on the jacket count?
    Watch out for tow ropes and quickly braking cars

Bike
    2005 Yamaha MT01
    Quote Originally Posted by Danae View Post
    And what's this KB wave? I'm still quite newbish.
    Here tis:

Bike
    GN250 2005
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lobster View Post
    It's reasonably easy to spot the difference between someone riding a scooter because it's cheap/shit/easier than the car/etc. and someone who is into bikes and happens to ride a scooter to work in the week.

If there's a chin on their helmet, they're worth waving/nodding at. If not..
    Agree.

I'm a rider for now. full face helmet, anything less is a sign your not aware of the risk's involved in riding (IMHO), or you don't care. My scooter holds just a full face helmet under the seat but as I usually need to carry/store anything else I take the helmet with me.

An accident is an accident, scooter or bike makes no diff to the damage you receive when you come off, take a run down the road and launch yourself face first into the pavement, did that hurt? so would coming off at 20km/h or 50 or 70.

I don't think I'm a motorcyclist or a biker, but I do think we share a commonality in the shit we take as road users.

I nod at other riders if we are both stopped or we are going by slowly, else both hands are covering the brakes and my eyes are too busy to nod.

I don't wave, I hope you don't find it rude but after many ignored waves I'd rather keep the hands doing something useful, potentially lifesaving.

Zerker

Bike
    2015 Triumph Bonneville
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerker View Post
    I nod at other riders if we are both stopped or we are going by slowly, else both hands are covering the brakes and my eyes are too busy to nod.

I don't wave, I hope you don't find it rude but after many ignored waves I'd rather keep the hands doing something useful, potentially lifesaving.
    Yes - it's hard to wave and give cagers the fingers at the same time
    "No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does."

Bike
    GN250 2005
    Blog Entries
    scooter has shitty brakes, needs both on to stop in a hurry unlike a bike that has the rear brake on the foot, you can take your clutch hand off and wave it around :P

now that I've been riding around town more I've noticed a large percentage of hamilton riders do actually wave, so I wave back, brakes be damned

Bike
    Evo 5
    somebody should start a scooter gang just 4 laughs. imagine 20 scooters humming along among the cars

Bike
    A big one
    Quote Originally Posted by ready4whatever View Post
    somebody should start a scooter gang just 4 laughs. imagine 20 scooters humming along among the cars
    How fucking annoying would that be???

Bike
    1995 Suzuki Volty (TU250)
    Blog Entries
    I've been for a ride with 120 scooters! It was great fun... except there were two of us on a borrowed Chinese import 50cc heap of rubbish. Funny thing is we only came 119th going up Chinaman's Hill. Someone was riding a worse scooter than ours!

The run was organised by Magnetos Scooter Gang. They're out there. Coming to get you while you sleep.
    There is no such thing as bad weather; only inappropriate clothing!

Bike
    A Black One
    Quote Originally Posted by ready4whatever View Post
    They did in the UK in the 60,s they called themselves Mods......Riders on motorbikes were called Rockers....
    They used to beat each other up

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank...
    Give a man a bank he can rob the WORLD !!!

Bike
    A big one
    Quote Originally Posted by gwigs View Post
    They did in the UK in the 60,s they called themselves Mods......Riders on motorbikes were called Rockers....
    They used to beat each other up
    Not strictly true.. Rockers used to beat mods up.

Mind you.. who wouldn't??

Thread Information