Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Follow up from Grub's death

Bike
    2004 Honda ST1300 ABS
    Interesting that everyone on here is caling the road (SH43) the forgotten highway.

Now I'm pretty sure that the road is signposted each end as the forgotten world highway. Now could this be a case of people swearing to know the "name" of a road and passing this on to the emergency services, but having the road name incorrect? This is where the database has to be quite clever. It not only has to be able to identify actual names, but also like names that the road may or may not be known by.

SH43 should have nailed it though. I think we have to have some sympathy for the emnergency call takers here. I have actually listened in at a comm centre once, and you would be amazed how shocked people react in emergency situations and then resort to abuse when their "message" is not received. People will swear that they were quite clear with the message they were giving, but in fact the reality is that the opposite was the case...

Now I am not aligning this attitude with this particular case. I attended both the 1000km ride and Grub's funeral. If anything can be learnt from this tragedy, then I am all for it - and I commend you Kari for your strength and resilience. If only we were all so strong....

This is an example of the sorts of calls that can come in...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ6_rQ4GTMc

Regards
    Regards

DougieNZ
    J'Ville
    Wellington

Bike
    Aprilia Shiver 750, Suzuki RG150E
    As others have said, awesome job, Kari.
    Brett would have been proud

"...you meet the weirdest people riding a Guzzi !!..."

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Awesome article Kari....
    Alot of work gone into getting it to this stage.

PS: What shade of lippy was that?....

Bike
    Triple Delight
    Thank you Kari for continuing to keep the pressure on over the issues that have come to light since Bretts accident.

There must be accountability for errors made and an assurance that any shortcomings are identified and remedied to prevent them happening again. That article certainly brought a new awareness to the general public of the issue of colloquial/common/local names and reminded St Johns that they need to properly address the problem. Setting up a website for these known names to be registered and the fact that cross referencing of calls will be made in future is a good step forward from the inquiry.

Top effort, I am very proud of you. I could almost see the grin on Bretts face while I was watching the article.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gubb View Post
    Nonono,

He rides the Leprachhaun at the end of the Rainbow. Usually goes by the name Anne McMommus

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post

PS: What shade of lippy was that?....
    Haha! I wasn't the only one thinking how well it suited her then?
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    2007 CB900
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom View Post
    Top effort, I am very proud of you. I could almost see the grin on Bretts face while I was watching the article.
    Yeah that was his pic painting the porch at mums place ... I miss his grin...
    Life is a gift that we have all been given. Live life to the full and ensure that you have absolutely no
    regrets.

For your parts needs:

http://www.motorcycleparts.co.nz/

Bike
    Triumph Bonneville & Street Triple
    As what has already been said , well done Kari

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    I do hope the Ambulance service recognisie this problem and takes steps to improve their ability to locate the needy.

My wife works as a tele-nurse and last night took a call which turned out to be a child with severe breathing problems. She called for an ambulance only to be told that they cannot find the address in their system to enable them to attend. She confirmed the address again however they still coild not help. I don't know what the outcome was as she patched them through to the child's mother.

Pretty serious really.
    “PHEW.....JUST MADE IT............................. UP"

Bike
    EX500s - Ruby
    Well done Kari!
    Lets hope that they make the changes necessary so that no one else has to go through this again.
    Diarrhoea is hereditary - it runs in your jeans

If my nose was running money, I'd blow it all on you...

Bike
    2015 S1000RR
    Very well done.
    The art of being wise is knowing what to overlook.

Bike
    2020 ls650 boulevard
    that was brilliantly well done. a national database, that everyone can add to, is a top idea. you came across great, better than most of us would have managed. your strength constantly amazes me.

Bike
    Triumph Tiger 800
    Good stuff Kari, this may save a few lives in the future
    Experience......something you get just after you needed it

Bike
    07 GIXXER 75OOOHHHH
    That was great.

The hardest part is when guys/girls tiki tour we know where we are going,but not the road names,i.e I know sh30 is between Te kuiti - Taupo but not the road name.

The call sent from Tahora gave the guys a rough area,perhaps the despatchers need to forward the call to closest ambulance center either Taumaranui or NP,that way it is manned by people familiar to the area.

And as all naki people know there is blank spots throughout the province,highlands/lowlands befor Eltham,Awakino area,Whanga etc.

Hope they know surf highway is sh45,once again saying surf highway could be anywhere between Hawera and NP,how many outsiders would know they are in Oeo or Okato,about 30 minutes apart.
    Hello officer put it on my tab

Don't steal the government hates competition.

Bike
    1979 Triumph Tiger 750
    Good on you Kari.

What about this ... a Fire service call here directed from the "call centre" to a roof blowing off in storm at an address in Stewart street, they arrived and were miffed. Turned out it was actually in Stuart Street and the house located right beside their fire station.
    "I want to thank you lord, so far this day. With your help i haven't been impatient, lost my temper, been grumpy, judgemental, or envious of anyone. But i will be going out in a minute and i think i will really need your help to start my bike. Amen."

Bike
    2003,Kawasaki ZX-9R
    Well done, good work.

Thread Information