Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Follow up from Grub's death

Bike
    2007 CB900

Follow up from Grub's death

Ok .. so I decided top make Grubs death an issue ...

http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/a-co...-2636891/video

More to the point this is to help other riders who have accidents and are hurt needing help. This is a result of the enquiry that I forced the ambulance service to do. They have admited some fault .. but wiggled out of other fuck ups they did ... that is ok .. cos there are changes afoot to help us all.
    Life is a gift that we have all been given. Live life to the full and ensure that you have absolutely no
    regrets.

For your parts needs:

http://www.motorcycleparts.co.nz/

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Nicely done Kari.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    06 Bandit GSF 1200SK6
    Awesome and outstanding job you have done Kari .. definitely not easy for you .. however this could/will help someone else in the future and my road currently has two different names

you truely are an inspriational woman .. we are proud of you babe .. as Grubb would be as well
    Have to Karma ... Justice catches up eventually !!

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Indeed, saw the article, well done Kari.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    Suzuki RG400 Yamaha ST125 Yamaha TDR250
    Blog Entries
    IMHO its about time the cellphone providers got in on the act here.

If i understand correctly they can tell down to a few metres where a phone on their network is at any given time.Bearing in mind the number of Kiwis that carry a cellphone,that provides a pretty powerful argument for making the Telephone Providers share information with the ambulance and police services.

Even if the positioning software is not that accurate,it would certainly avoid ambulances heading in completely different directions to the crash site,as i understand happened in this case after watching the TVNZ video of the report.
    "more than two strokes is masturbation"
    www.motoparts-online.com

Bike
    A Tractor
    Blog Entries
    Kari you were brilliant. Thanks for taking up the cause for all bikers and not giving up on a cause dear to your heart.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bike
    Katana 750, VOR 450 Enduro
    Blog Entries
    As they said Kari.

I'd like to think that your work has made it more likely that more motorcyclists will have a better outcome if the worst happens.

You rock.
    And I to my motorcycle parked like the soul of the junkyard. Restored, a bicycle fleshed with power, and tore off. Up Highway 106 continually drunk on the wind in my mouth. Wringing the handlebar for speed, wild to be wreckage forever.

- James Dickey, Cherrylog Road.

Bike
    2007 CB900
    I think that Mellissa (reporter) did an awesome job ... since I couldn't give her the report from the ambulance service ... and Alexia OBrien could only look at it on her behalf ...
    Life is a gift that we have all been given. Live life to the full and ensure that you have absolutely no
    regrets.

For your parts needs:

http://www.motorcycleparts.co.nz/

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Mm, good stuff.

Speaking from experience, the map data for NZ is pretty low quality compared to what's available for the rest of the civilised world.

Full-on imaginary gaps in the roads that make it difficult for computers to find routes from A to B, missing names (as St John have discovered), etc.

There is usually structural provision in the data design for roads to have multiple names, but in the absence of investment from the big international mapping firms like TeleAtlas or Navteq, the full info isn't always collected.

I note that a search on Google Maps for "forgotten highway, new zealand" finds the right area, but only because Google Maps has additional 'point of interest' data. The road itself isn't tagged with that name - Google Maps will almost certainly be using the same data source for NZ as St John is.

If St John are now investing in augmenting the data they get from their mapping provider, I hope they're not having to cut other bits of their budget to achieve it.

Surely the parlous state of publicly-available road network data in certain parts of the country is worthy of central gubmint funding to fix?

I also wonder whether TeleAtlas et al have any future plans to directly gather NZ road data they way they do in the USA and Europe. Wouldn't it be nice...
    kiwibiker is full of love, an disrespect.
    - mikey

Bike
    Now bikeless :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by gammaguy View Post
    IMHO its about time the cellphone providers got in on the act here.

If i understand correctly they can tell down to a few metres where a phone on their network is at any given time.Bearing in mind the number of Kiwis that carry a cellphone,that provides a pretty powerful argument for making the Telephone Providers share information with the ambulance and police services.

Even if the positioning software is not that accurate,it would certainly avoid ambulances heading in completely different directions to the crash site,as i understand happened in this case after watching the TVNZ video of the report.

Firstly, brilliant presentation Nasty - well done

Gammaguy: All well and good but the area in question (the Forgotten Highway) has little or no cellphone coverage and the same applies to the main route out of Taranaki to the north (SH3) from Urenui to Te Kuiti. If you're lucky enough to need assistance in one of the small pockets of coverage, or someone else can drive, ride or walk to a coverage area, then triangulating onto the cellphone is do-able but also how about Telecon supplying a location of the landline that is used otherwise? Personally though Telecon would be the last people I'd entrust my wellbeing to in such a situation if I had a choice

Bike
    2006 Suzuki GSX-R750 K6
    You did a GREAT job, Kari... I'm proud of you!
    Member, sem fiddy appreciation society

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I find it ironic that the incredibly rude personal comments about Les were made by someone bearing an astonishing resemblance to a Monica Lewinsky dress accessory.

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    All was good until I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable after a while

Bike
    2008, GSR600K

Thumbs up

Well done Kari! You were confident and sure of the message you wanted to get across and it sounds like it's made a BIG difference to the way St John's will operate - like cross referencing calls and finding out colloquial names.

And you also looked gorgeous!!
    My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Bike
    2005 Firestorm
    Blog Entries
    Well done Kari. Very clear messages - I think they and you did a great job of that wee item!

I hope that website is up soon so we can all pop in the roads and highways as they are known to us.

Brett would be so proud of you chick you really are a trooper

RIP Brett.

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    Caught that on tele the other night,great work.You are one brave lady,much respect to you.
    Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Quote Originally Posted by Nasty View Post
    They have admited some fault .. but wiggled out of other fuck ups they did ...
    The TV segment showed where the ambo was dispatched from and to, but I'd be interested to know the actual location information that was given to the dispatcher during the 111 call.

No amount of investment in systems will ever be able to compensate for dispatchers lacking brain cells, or riders not actually knowing where they are when a bin happens.

Now, one can only guess that those two factors added up to a tragic fuckup in this instance, but it looks like we'll never really know what actually happened, due to some sort of enforced confidentiality? Or is there further information out there?
    kiwibiker is full of love, an disrespect.
    - mikey

Thread Information