Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Monamie and 86's Southern Adventure.

Bike
    GSXR750G Daytona 955 Tiger DR650 ZRX1200

Monamie and 86's Southern Adventure.

We’d been thinking about it for awhile and had the ferry tickets booked.

Because we both work for a very employee friendly organisation it was easy to get 2 weeks off to go have a spin down south.

There was a slight ‘glitch’ a couple of months before the big departure when I crashed my Triumph Tiger on the Pahiatua Track and ended up in hospital with broken ribs, hand, and shoulder! And 7 weeks off work – bugger!

Obviously, this shed some doubt on the viability of riding a motorcycle for several thousand kilometres, especially as the Tiger looked like a write off.

Luckily, I had the best of care and made a fairly quick recovery. Well, all the important bits healed fairly quickly, the rest will be quite a way off yet though.

As soon as I felt comfortable I pulled my 05 Daytona out of the shop where it had been sitting for sale ‘on behalf’ for some time as it looked as if the insurance company may not come through in time.

However, after my wee smack from the biker gods, they must have decided I’d had enough and smiled on me 3 days before departure. They were ably assisted by the insurance company and a huge thanks goes to ANZA Motor Co for getting my brand new Black Tiger ready to go and out the door in less than a day and with nothing more than a ‘yep, the cheques on the way’. Thanks guys!

So, this left me with the small matter of the part run in of the bike before the first service. Luckily I’d been easing back into work and it so happened that I had the day off the day after I picked up the bike.

So, off up the Para’s I went, taking in National Park, Turangi, Desert Rd, Vinegar Hill, and home. Next day after work, I headed east for Dannevagas, Pahiatua Track, Rongotea, Palmie.

Dropped the bike in on the day of departure with 798 kms on her and the first service was dealt to very nicely. Thanks again ANZA (no, they’re not paying me, I’m paying them).

So, off home to pack then out to Monamie’s to help her do the same.

Set off for Wellie and had a most enjoyable cruise while shakin down our luggage.

The Buell was really laden, but I had the tent. Between us we were very well prepared I thought.

We half overnighted at Mum’s in Wellie, when I say half I mean that’s because we were booked on the 3 am Bluebridge sailing- arghhh.

So, after a very nice catch up and delicious dinner with my two of my favourite ladies and an hours ‘powernap’ we were up and into it.

Luckily it was a beautiful night and we got to the terminal with plenty of time. Boarding and tie down went very smoothly and we were highly amused to see about 15 Vespa’s, all geared up (or down) coming onto the boat with us. As it happened, one of them was a guy I worked with in the 80’s and he said they were all off to Blenheim for the airshow. Good stuff!

Got no sleep on the boat but no worries.

Emerged at Picton as 6.30 am and greeted with a beautiful and very, very cold dawn!

After a quick brekkie at the only open café we hit the road for Blenheim. And rode straight into a large fog which lasted for a few k.

A quick gas up at Blenheim and then we headed straight down the Wairau Valley. By Christ it was cold at that hour. Clear skies, no wind, and snow on the hills does not a warm ride make.

Of course, Michelle was all toasty and warm with her heated grips, but I never once complained did I babe.

I did stop though and put on another layer and I was bloody glad when we got to St Arnaud and just had to stop for a medicinal latte.

After a coupe of those we then had a most satisfying run through to Murchison and, THE BULLER GORGE. Fuckin magic!

Stopped at Lyell for another hot drink and a sit down before commencing the final run down to Hoki via Reefton (very nice) and Greymouth.

During this leg the lack of sleep started to catch up with me and more than once I had to slap myself to stay alert. This did not go unnoticed by Michelle who was most concerned and I was lucky to escape another slap.

After a bit of a look around for what turned into very scarce accomodation in Hokitika (school hols wasn’t it) we found a very nice backpackers and after a quick shower it was into bed and fast asleep before dark – gob.

The next day was another pearler and after the morning latte it was straight down to the glaciers for lunch. A quick hike up the Fox and it was back on the bikes for another dream run to Haast. Along the way, it started to rain (how odd) and we stopped to put on the wets. Nice and cosy we proceeded to Haast for a gas up and coffee before taking the sublime run through the pass to Wanaka.

Threw the tent up and went into town for dinner, pizza and coke – yum. Very nice night it was by the lake too.

Another clear day greeted us and one quick flick over the Crown Range later we were soon sipping latte on the shores of Wakatipu with the rich and famous. Ahhhhh.

Can’t believe te development in Queenstown now, when I was a lad it was actually quite a quiet little town. Never mind, it’s a very chic place which ain’t so bad.

We were soon back on the SH 6 and 94 to Te Anau. Quite a pleasant ride but we’d left the mountains behind, for now.

Arrived in Te Anau having lost each other somewhere back down the line? Consulted the New Zealand Motorcycle Atlas and yes, plenty of time to get to Milford.

Well, what a farking amazing ride that was. One of the best mountain rides in the country, easily.

Swept through the Eglington Valley through some of the best alpine scenery around. Climbing high into the misty hills and through the Homer Tunnel. Very cool, very beautiful. The descent into Milford is just mindblowing. You’re completely surrounded by ROCK, ROCK, ROCK and it takes you back a million years into another age. One can almost see the dinosaurs pounding the ridge lines.

Milford. Well, what can one say to describe the beauty of this place? It’s ancient and beautiful and needs to be experienced at least once in one’s lifetime.

Back to Te Anau and another night in the tent.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	127131   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	127132   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	127133   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	127134   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	127135   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	127136  
    It's only Rock and Roll but I like it

Bike
    Next day we lighted out and took the Southern Scenic Route via 99 to Invercargill. Despite spending 11 very happy childhood years in Dunedin I’d never been there! We arrived just on midday Easter Monday to quite a bustling scene. VERY good to be back in the South again.

After a very pleasant sit down, chat and latte in the warm sun, it needed to be done. Bluff! Only 20 something km’s down the road but fuck, what a wind and as we approached the sun turned to drizzle and we were there.

Hmmm, very ‘quaint’ town but we had a bloody good time scoffing the freshest Bluff oysters in the world and the best we’d EVER tasted.

Quick run up to the lookout then back to Inver’s to visit the Art Gallery where Michelle’s Dad had been custodian back in 1961. Very good year that I must say. The place was absolutely wonderful, full of art treasures and we had a great trip down memory lane.

Back on the bikes and onto the legendary Catlins!!! Great, great, great! Sweeping up and downhill bends through the southern native bush.

Arrived in Dunedin after dark and the street layout came flooding back despite the 30 odd year time gap.

Found a great hotel with a king sized bed and had a most relaxed chilled night doing just nice normal stuff.

Beautiful dawn and latte in the Octagon. God it was good to be back, I never realised just how beautiful this city is. You kind of don’t when you grow up somewhere eh.

Spent the morning exploring my childhood neighbourhoods and the one of the trip highlights for me was visiting the best beach in the world far out on the East Coast. I’d spent many happy years at our ‘crib’ and it all came flooding back, the innocence and happiness of childhood. Apart from nearly bleeding to death on that very beach and the great white encounter that is, but even they were fun times.

Bypassing the city altogether we emerged at Waitati and cruised up SH 1 taking in Plamerston for lunch. Onward to check out the alien eggs at Moeraki then the long haul up to Geraldine via Oamaru and Timaru. I’ve never met 98 TLS but I gave him a wave as we passed through.

Oddly enough we arrived in Geraldine after dark. This was a common theme throughout the trip, hmmm.

Lovely dinner at the local hotel and by then we’d decided ‘fuck the tent’ and had gone for cabins and backpackers instead. Nice sleep then after the compulsory latte it was time for Arthurs Pass. Yummmmmmmmy. Great Road!!!

Down into the west coast again and back to Reefton.

Now, this is one cool town. Old mining community which has been lovingly restored to it’s former glory. We found the best backpackers around at the ‘Old Nurses Home’, on of those glorious old nurses homes that had been converted to a backpackers. Experienced some real genuine west coast hospitality and dined on the best burger I’d ever tasted up the road at the local lino wall covered diner. God that burger was good!

Hot bath and great sleep later we were up and into the latte. This was an interesting experience in itself, say no more.

We then had to decide whether to go to Takaka to see Michelle’s sis or go to Kaikoura via the Lewis. Michelle made the phone call and as the forecast was wet, wet, wet up that way, she bravely endured being disowned and it was decided that we’d do the Lewis. It was as shame about Takaka as it would have been nice to visit but it would have been mud up that way.
    Everything they say about the Lewis is true, beautiful road. Arrived at Hamner in plenty of time for latte and lunch. From there it was a relatively easy run through the inland road to Kaikoura. Only stopped to fix a puncture in the Buell’s rear tyre caused by a tiny piece of glass. Luckily I’ve had a bit of practise at fixing there now and we had lot’s of fun by the side of the road being silly.

Ahhh Kaikoura. I used to fly down planeloads of tourists to the whale watching guys years ago so I know it well. Nice town, and plenty of latte emporiums. We booked in at the Lazy Shag and chilled before heading into town for a big juicy steak and a laugh on the internet. Very nice night it was and we almost took a romantic moonlit walk along the beach until I was told that all the manuals were wrong lol!

The last day dawned with a beautiful sea haze shrouding the landscape and the sea air was divine.

After a latte and gas up we hit 1 again for another lesisurely cruise up the coast. Stopping to take some pics of the seals we got underway again and had a most amusing game of ‘where did you get your licence’ with some dumb ass in a small Ford. Very entertaining.

Stopped for a quick breather in Blenheim after an amazing trouble free run through southern Marlborough then onward to Picton for latte and CAKE for lunch.

An hour later we were on the boat, a most enjoyable way to leave the beautiful southern shores.

Wellie and Mum’s for dinner, SH 1 and home.

Monamie, you're the best girl ever and I'm honoured to have shared such a wonderful experience with you

Marvelous

More pics here

http://picasaweb.google.com/alistair.edwards
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	127137   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	127138   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	134.9 KB 
ID:	127139   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	117.5 KB 
ID:	127140   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	127141   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	127142  

Bike
    04 ZX10R 98 ZX9R #10
    nice. another manawatu rider defecting! What is going on round here?

Nearly all men can stand adversity and hard time, but if you want to test a mans true character, give him power....
    YouTube Videos
    MY PICTURES

Best place to stay in Hawkes Bay here

Bike
    2007 Suzuki Katana 750F
    Blog Entries
    "The Buell was really laden, but I had the tent"

Marvelous.
    Life is to be enjoyed ... Bikes, women, beer and chocolate

Link > CHECK OUT Feilding Riders Club Website
    For Upcoming Events

Bike
    06 Bandit GSF 1200SK6
    Quote Originally Posted by 86GSXR View Post

So, after a very nice catch up and delicious dinner with my two of my favourite ladies and an hours ‘powernap’ we were up and into it.
    hmmmmmm ohh well I am relegated out the back door huh thats ok you will pay for that later

awesome read by the way

Monamie, you're the best girl ever and I'm honoured to have shared such a wonderful experience with you
    You are one lucky bugger for sure .. Mo is simply the best
    Have to Karma ... Justice catches up eventually !!

Bike
    98 Triumph Thunderbird 900
    Blog Entries
    excellent read!
    It truley is amazing down here huh.

Live your life in such a way,
    that when your feet hit the floor in the morning,

Satan shudders & says....'Oh shit!....she's awake!!'

Bike
    2013 ZX14R SE
    Nice report Al, well done.

Bike
    2013 ZX14R SE
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboyz View Post
    I can't see myself heading down there any time soon dude... Then strictly speaking i'm not from the Manawatu anyway..

Bike
    RATS & RICE
    Blog Entries
    Nice read.....Al you would never relocate,you couldnt handle being so far away from cowboyz coffee or cafe cuba for that fact

Bike
    Buell XB12XT

She says....

It really was a magical time wasn't it babe-one of the best times in my life
    I think this could be attributed to the fact of waking up in the morning and then deciding where we wanted to head that day-having no agenda other than having to be at the Ferry on the 17th was definitely the way to plan a trip.
    Of course going with someone you respect and love dearly makes it work.

I have just a few things to add if I may

The Buell was really laden, but I had the tent. Between us we were very well prepared I thought.But I did manage to fit in the kitchen sink dear

Got no sleep on the boat but no worries.That’s because you let me have the couch and I did get to catnap across the strait.

Of course, Michelle was all toasty and warm with her heated grips, but I never once complained did I babe.Ahem....not quite right but close....I also worked out that removing the aftermarket vent things by my seat gives a lovely rush of warm air by my legs

During this leg the lack of sleep started to catch up with me and more than once I had to slap myself to stay alert. This did not go unnoticed by Michelle who was most concerned and I was lucky to escape another slap. Very scary to watch someone fall asleep on their bike-you did give me a massive fright!!

The next day was another pearler and after the morning latte it was straight down to the glaciers for lunch. A quick hike up the Fox and it was back on the bikes for another dream run to Haast. Wow those Glaciers are stunning-thanks for making sure I got to see them

Threw the tent up and went into town for dinner, pizza and coke – yum. Very nice night it was by the lake too.Beautiful view out of the tent door in the morning-sigh

Swept through the Eglington Valley through some of the best alpine scenery around. Climbing high into the misty hills and through the Homer Tunnel. Very cool, very beautiful. The descent into Milford is just mind blowing. You’re completely surrounded by ROCK, ROCK, ROCK and it takes you back a million years into another age. One can almost see the dinosaurs pounding the ridge lines.I think this was my favourite road-very NICE

Hmmm, very ‘quaint’ town but we had a bloody good time scoffing the freshest Bluff oysters in the world and the best we’d EVER tasted.Man it was rough-had a wicked lean on the bike with that wind but was laughing as Mother nature gave us her worst

Quick run up to the lookout then back to Inver’s to visit the Art Gallery where Michelle’s Dad had been custodian back in 1961. Very good year that I must say. The place was absolutely wonderful, full of art treasures and we had a great trip down memory lane.Thanks hon-it was special to see Anderson Park

Spent the morning exploring my childhood neighbourhoods and the one of the trip highlights for me was visiting the best beach in the world far out on the East Coast. I’d spent many happy years at our ‘crib’ and it all came flooding back, the innocence and happiness of childhood. Apart from nearly bleeding to death on that very beach and the great white encounter that is, but even they were fun times.Great to see you so happy 86 and share your memories-the beach was lovely-something to aspire to perhaps

Oddly enough we arrived in Geraldine after dark. This was a common theme throughout the trip, hmmm.They had a wicked Fudge shop!!

Lovely dinner at the local hotel and by then we’d decided ‘fuck the tent’ and had gone for cabins and backpackers instead. Nice sleep then after the compulsory latte it was time for Arthurs Pass. Yummmmmmmmy. Great Road!!!Here here

Now, this is one cool town.very cool
    Hot bath and great sleep later we were up and into the latte. This was an interesting experience in itself, say no more.Oh come on-tell them about the Female?? Trucker that took a fancy to you!

We then had to decide whether to go to Takaka to see Michelle’s sis or go to Kaikoura via the Lewis. Michelle made the phone call and as the forecast was wet, wet, wet up that way, she bravely endured being disowned He's not kiddingand it was decided that we’d do the Lewis. It was as shame about Takaka as it would have been nice to visit but it would have been mud up that way.
    We will see Takaka next time
    Everything they say about the Lewis is true, beautiful road. Arrived at Hamner in plenty of time for latte and lunch.Full of bloody tourists From there it was a relatively easy run through the inland road to Kaikoura. Only stopped to fix a puncture in the Buell’s rear tyre caused by a tiny piece of glass. Luckily I’ve had a bit of practise at fixing there now and we had lot’s of fun by the side of the road being silly.Your Frank Spencer impersonation was legend

Very nice night it was and we almost took a romantic moonlit walk along the beach until I was told that all the manuals were wrong lol!How original!!

After a latte and gas up we hit 1 again for another leisurely cruise up the coast. Stopping to take some pics of the seals we got underway again and had a most amusing game of ‘where did you get your licence’ with some dumb ass in a small Ford. Very entertaining.Man that was funny taunting him-what a cock

Stopped for a quick breather in Blenheim after an amazing trouble free run through southern Marlborough then onward to Picton for latte and CAKE for lunch.Mmmmm cake

An hour later we were on the boat, a most enjoyable way to leave the beautiful southern shores.Rather sad our special time was coming to an end

And you my dear have my heart. You are a very special man and I am so happy I have you in my life
    Marvelous

Oh dear, another sad little post from the man who thinks sarcasm is wit.

Bike
    Concours 14
    Nice report Al Its an awesome country we live in eh when you take the time to look around

Bike
    06 Bandit GSF 1200SK6
    Quote Originally Posted by Monamie View Post

always good to have those magical trips that you can cherish .. may it be the first of may more

love your additons to the report babe ... hmm why not give us your version of the female trucker .. am sure that will be more funny than Al's
    Have to Karma ... Justice catches up eventually !!

Bike
    EX500s - Ruby
    Sounds like you guys had an awesome time.
    Damn, I'm jealous! Great pics too!
    Lyell, eh? That was where my ancestors settled when they came to NZ....I'll get there one day...
    Diarrhoea is hereditary - it runs in your jeans

If my nose was running money, I'd blow it all on you...

Bike
    2008 GSX750F
    Awesome write up Al, and love your additions Michelle

Am so pleased you had a wonderful time together, you both deserved some special time away.
    If you can't be good, be good at it
    Live is too short, live it to the fullest

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboyz View Post
    Must be something to do with THOSE roads!

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiKat View Post
    "The Buell was really laden, but I had the tent"

Marvelous.
    Told you I'd take the tent eh................

Quote Originally Posted by chanceyy View Post
    hmmmmmm ohh well I am relegated out the back door huh thats ok you will pay for that later

awesome read by the way

You are one lucky bugger for sure .. Mo is simply the best
    Sorry darling, what was I thinking lol. She sure is!

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpess View Post
    excellent read!
    It truley is amazing down here huh.
    Very, the best

Quote Originally Posted by NZsarge View Post
    I can't see myself heading down there any time soon dude... Then strictly speaking i'm not from the Manawatu anyway..
    Don't let that stop ya Sarge.

Quote Originally Posted by dogsnbikes View Post
    Nice read.....Al you would never relocate,you couldnt handle being so far away from cowboyz coffee or cafe cuba for that fact
    Well............there's plenty of coffee and cafes, but there'll never be another Cowboyz - does that sound dodgy lol

Quote Originally Posted by Monamie View Post
    I think this could be attributed to the fact of waking up in the morning and then deciding where we wanted to head that day-having no agenda other than having to be at the Ferry on the 17th was definitely the way to plan a trip.
    Of course going with someone you respect and love dearly makes it work.

Of course you may. And I agree

Quote Originally Posted by Meanie View Post
    Nice report Al Its an awesome country we live in eh when you take the time to look around
    It surely is James, may there be many more SI trips!

Quote Originally Posted by chanceyy View Post
    always good to have those magical trips that you can cherish .. may it be the first of may more

love your additons to the report babe ... hmm why not give us your version of the female trucker .. am sure that will be more funny than Al's
    It couldn't get much funnier

Quote Originally Posted by yungatart View Post
    Sounds like you guys had an awesome time.
    Damn, I'm jealous! Great pics too!
    Lyell, eh? That was where my ancestors settled when they came to NZ....I'll get there one day...
    Do it Janet! It's magic!!!

Quote Originally Posted by oscarnz View Post
    Awesome write up Al, and love your additions Michelle

Am so pleased you had a wonderful time together, you both deserved some special time away.
    That's for sure

Thread Information