Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2006 Suzuki GN 250

Bike
    XV 535
    Blog Entries

2006 Suzuki GN 250

Ok first off I had the “pleasure” if you can call it that. . .of riding a GN250 for 2 days while my bike was having some work done and I couldn’t pick it up. Now I have heard that they are great learners’ bikes blah blah blah. I picked up the bike keeping an open mind, despite thinking they look like crap IMO and I dreaded hopping on.
    I then found that yes they are extremely comfortable . . . . . at a standstill.

On acceleration I found that the torque curve would travel in a downward diagonal to the right instead of an upward diagonal. ... Damn 1cyl motor. It sounded like crap to, like a baby blowing a raspberry (maybe I’m used to my screaming demon without the baffles haha)
    Upon acceleration I found the wind to be stupidly annoying and upon braking all my weight went into my ankles and wrists, I found it hard to concentrate on the road as Suzuki seem to have forgotten to dampen the mirrors cos they vibrated like there was no tomorrow at all revs. . .

But there was a few positives, I tried to stall it and it did but it was very hard to get it to do it, the GN seems to be content with a minimal amount of revs, for this reason it is a good bike to learn on (but only for a short period of time cos i myself would get bored and annoyed.)

I managed to get the front wheel maybe a foot and a half in the air but that’s nothing compared to what I have been told GN’s can do (banzai) I am still yet to get my Hyosung’s front wheel up more than 2cm. . . So credit to the GN

All in all I found the bike to be more unfriendly than it was friendly, sorry to everyone who loves them, I sure you have your reasons but for myself the GN is too slow to get me out of scary/bad situations, the position forces you to have to brace yourself and put strain on your body, as opposed to the sportier possie of the Hyosung GT250R.

Good points include inability to stall, comfy seat, reliability and availability of parts. And of course THE PRICE!!!!!!!!!

This is just my opinion, let me know if you have had better/different experiences.
    Last edited by Hiflyer; 30th April 2009 at 00:15. Reason: adding comment
    Quote Originally Posted by nodrog View Post
    you dont get 180+ hp out of 998cc by being nice to trees.

Bike
    R6
    you might want to remove reliability, its a 2006 rust bucket GN
    is <3 supposed to be a heart or an ass hat?

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quite possibly correct on all counts Hiflyer..

Especailly this one ..

the GN seems to be content with a minimal amount of revs, for this reason it is a good bike to learn on (but only for a short period of time cos i myself would get bored and annoyed.)

So to be fair and keep things perspective, there are alot of GN's out there which says alot about them. They are good learner bike (for a short period) and the resale is pretty good too. You could pay upwards of $4-5K for an 80's/90's 250 sports bike. But if you are a first time biker, the GN is a very gentle and forgiving bike to start on.

Bike
    XV 535
    Blog Entries
    but even tho its a rustbucket its still going is my point, if a hyosung got that way itd probly rather roll over and die than actually work

Bike
    Pillion
    Hmm everytime I read reviews like this I get even more confused when lookin at a good beginners bike. GN250 was my original intention but got talked out of it by several people and bought a CBF250 (for son to ride as well). So it turned out fine for him but a bit to tall and heavy for me (5'4"). Needless to say it wasnt right and I sold it with the intention of getting something smaller but more oomph than a scooter, without being a scooter. So have been looking at cbr125 (ever so cute wee thing and just my size) and dare I mention it, a brand new gn125. So now I get told I'll need more power to get out of sticky situations and Ill get bored on smaller bike. Thing is Im halfway to being a geriatric and after cruizzin happily around on me scoot, just want to start slowly at my own pace. Arrgh so many decisions to make!

Bike
    1995 Suzuki Volty (TU250)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by allycatz View Post
    Hmm everytime I read reviews like this I get even more confused when lookin at a good beginners bike. GN250 was my original intention but got talked out of it by several people and bought a CBF250 (for son to ride as well). So it turned out fine for him but a bit to tall and heavy for me (5'4"). Needless to say it wasnt right and I sold it with the intention of getting something smaller but more oomph than a scooter, without being a scooter. So have been looking at cbr125 (ever so cute wee thing and just my size) and dare I mention it, a brand new gn125. So now I get told I'll need more power to get out of sticky situations and Ill get bored on smaller bike. Thing is Im halfway to being a geriatric and after cruizzin happily around on me scoot, just want to start slowly at my own pace. Arrgh so many decisions to make!
    First, get a bike that you're physically comfortable on - height, riding position, etc.

Second, don't listen to the young males who say you'll get bored and need more power (more power gets them into way more sticky situations than it ever gets them out of!) As long as the bike can keep up with open road speeds, you'll be fine.

I have had my volty (GN250 in drag) since 2006. Sure, sometimes I would like a bigger bike to do longer trips on but the Volty is the perfect commuting bike. Even though I've been on my full license for some time now, I haven't felt that I need to upgrade because this bike does the job I want it to do. It's comfortable, reliable and economical.

I also know that when I come to sell it, it will have held its value.

So it's up to you where your priorities lie, but get a bike that suits you not some hypothetical other rider.
    There is no such thing as bad weather; only inappropriate clothing!

Bike
    1987 GPX 250
    If the bike is right for you then it is a good bike. If you listen to everyone on here you will never find a bike!

Bike
    XV 535
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by klingon View Post
    First, get a bike that you're physically comfortable on - height, riding position, etc.

Second, don't listen to the young males who say you'll get bored and need more power (more power gets them into way more sticky situations than it ever gets them out of!) As long as the bike can keep up with open road speeds, you'll be fine.

I have had my volty (GN250 in drag) since 2006. Sure, sometimes I would like a bigger bike to do longer trips on but the Volty is the perfect commuting bike. Even though I've been on my full license for some time now, I haven't felt that I need to upgrade because this bike does the job I want it to do. It's comfortable, reliable and economical.

I also know that when I come to sell it, it will have held its value.

So it's up to you where your priorities lie, but get a bike that suits you not some hypothetical other rider.

1stly thankyou for stereotyping me. . . it hasnt happened in a few hours so i was feeling a bit lost

2ndly its just my opinion, and yea of course more power can get you into stupid situations, but only if you drive like a nutter, if you dont then the power can be used to get out of a situation.

and if you only buy a bike for commuting then of course its gunna be fun for a commute.

and even though the bike may be fine at open road speeds some people might not want to dawdle, and open road speeds arent helpful at say a track day.

Quote Originally Posted by sil3ntwar View Post
    If the bike is right for you then it is a good bike. If you listen to everyone on here you will never find a bike!

exactly, i was just talking about what I thought of it, like it or lump it really

Bike
    XV 535
    Blog Entries
    dont listen to kiwibiker reviews if your looking for a bike haha WAAAAAY to many conflicting ideas haha. if you want some reviews look them up on google, cos they were probably done by the pros (im not one shock-horror haha)

oh i left this out of the review

"for people of short stature who want a bike for commuting only this bike would be great!"

the volty would be a much better choice if your looking for looks as well

happy bike hunting

Bike
    1995 Suzuki Volty (TU250)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiflyer View Post
    ...the volty would be a much better choice if your looking for looks as well...
    Volty says "aaawww thanks! "

She also says she has a broader saddle than the GN so is very suitable for people with... erm... broad saddles and apparently her 17" wheels also make cornering easier. [FROSTY just told me this recently and I guess he knows what he's talking about.]

I do find KB bike reviews quite interesting and often useful - if only because a suitable bike for a short "mature" woman riding around town is going to be different than one for a tall young guy who wants to blat around at speed. I haven't seen many professional reviews written by people in my demographic, so I'll keep reading KB reviews, and paying attention to the ones that fit my requirements.
    There is no such thing as bad weather; only inappropriate clothing!

Bike
    -
    So now I get told I'll need more power to get out of sticky situations and Ill get bored on smaller bike.
    Yeah, both of those things are a crock of shit. I'd be interested to know about these `sticky situations' that power supposedly gets you out of -- an impatient pass where you didn't leave enough room, perhaps?

You don't need power to get you out of `sticky situations'.

I'd also challenge the idea that you might get bored on a smaller bike. Some people might, but I certainly haven't. It'll be a long while (as a beginner with bikes) before you'll be comfortable enough to be bored, and if you are bored, it's because you're not seeking out the right sort of fun roads. On a small bike twisty tight roads are far more enjoyable than they are on a big bike.

Sounds like a GN250 would be an excellent choice for you -- especially with the low seat-height. Sounds like you share very little in your idea of biking with the original poster; doing wheelies and sounding `cool' with a straight exhaust don't seem to be on your list.

Bike
    GN250!!!!
    Will let you know as I pick up my GN250 today. I chose it cos I have short legs and it felt safer to me having that balance than being on bikes where I can just about tiptoe. I have been watching trademe and there have been a lot of GNs sold recently so they 'can't be that bad'. I also like the comfort aspect which after being pillion on a CBR600RR will be such a refreshing change. I guess bikes are like so many things in life they are a matter of personal prefernce and whilst other peoploe giving you thier take on things may give some insight the best way to find out what works for you is to give it ia go. Maybe hire a bike for a day to see how it feels.
    We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year,
    Running over the same old ground.
    What have you found? The same old fears.
    Wish you were here. QWQ

Bike
    XV 535
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by xwhatsit View Post
    Yeah, both of those things are a crock of shit. I'd be interested to know about these `sticky situations' that power supposedly gets you out of -- an impatient pass where you didn't leave enough room, perhaps?

na when you get boxed in by someone directly behind you on the motorway and the person next to you didnt check their blindspot etc

You don't need power to get you out of `sticky situations'.

True a stebel horn would fix the above situation haha

I'd also challenge the idea that you might get bored on a smaller bike. Some people might, but I certainly haven't. It'll be a long while (as a beginner with bikes) before you'll be comfortable enough to be bored, and if you are bored, it's because you're not seeking out the right sort of fun roads. On a small bike twisty tight roads are far more enjoyable than they are on a big bike.

Sounds like a GN250 would be an excellent choice for you -- especially with the low seat-height. Sounds like you share very little in your idea of biking with the original poster; doing wheelies and sounding `cool' with a straight exhaust don't seem to be on your list.

everyone has different things they like about biking but im not talking about getting a huge bike, i just mean i feel that a GN isnt my cup of tea, where as otherfour stroke 250cc bikes are my cup of dilmah
    whats wrong with wheelies anyway haha

Bike
    02 Ducati ST4s
    Quote Originally Posted by klingon View Post

Best advice I have seen on here in a long time...

Quote Originally Posted by Hiflyer View Post
    and even though the bike may be fine at open road speeds some people might not want to dawdle, and open road speeds arent helpful at say a track day.
    Well since we are talking about the GN... you wouldn't buy it for the track now would you... but the GN is a great bike to learn on (I can not comment on later models) and is designed as a commuter, and lite cruiser that will take you for short touring trips as well... heck last year I saw a GN loaded and she was touring all of NZ on it... good on her... and she was having a blast...

More power shmower... not everone likes to go around every where at a million miles per hour either... especially those that are touring since you are wanting to see and do things on the way...or those that are communting

Getting bored... hmmm then you are simply doing it wrong...

Bike
    XV 535
    Blog Entries
    seems like people dont like what i think of GNs haha owell it was to be expected

its Kiwibiker!

Like i said, it's not my cup of tea,

Thread Information