Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Broken bones; A-weight-ting is the hardest paart

Bike
    XB12R, FXR150, Ducati 400ss, 1125CR
    look after yourself and get strong matey... we all want to see you out there doing it again....

what a ride so far!!!!

Bike
    RMZ 450, F4RGVGP125
    I have a few plates now. The one in my wrist (radius) did not take long to hael at all, infact I was out on the bike before the cast came off giving TAZMAN and a few others a hiding over the takas and showing him how to wheelie. Not the smartest thing to do but meh. The leg however has only just come right. I have only been back at work 3 weeks since Jan.
    The thing I have learnt is just let it take its time and dont try push it.
    I have to deal with constant pain in my wrist now all because I was an idiot and thought I knew better.
    Rant over heal up dude well dude.
    Member #3164 of the SHITMARK haters club.

Bike
    VSTROM - 650XT

Almost 4 weeks since the surgery

So Baldy: Two weeks on. Where you at? How long did you wear a sling?[/QUOTE]

Apologies for the delay in replying...

4 weeks after the surgery and still in a sling. The doc says it is normally 6 weeks in a sling after the op. Had a plate put in and 11 screws ro hold the plate and bones together.

So by the time the sling is off it will be more than 3 months since the accident and that has meant 3 months + of no riding. I am really looking forward to getting out there again.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    YeahBaldy i feel that. Thanks for kind words guys. Op was a breeze, two of the staff were motorcyclists. Nothing but praise for the was the op staff & nurses work. Woke up, touched my hip, no graft taken from there yay. Drift off, wake up take some drugs. That Tramodine or whatever knocks you out but fs with you. tried to eat later but didn't hold it down. Felt so much better after a bit of a spit. Elated even. Didn't sleep much that night. I'm back home, but getting out of the hospital took all day waiting for a doc to write a script. Yeah I was psd at not being able to go home & they had to move me into a day room as theyneeded my bed. Really it isn't their fault, it's just a matter of priority & they don't have the resource. Shameful really. So I was getting a little scratchy to the end, but was a paragon of polietness most of the time (excuse typing).

So the doc said all went well, there was some evidence that it was starting to heal, but never sure so plated. He said have to take it easy esp as at end of Clavicle there is a lot of leverage. Could show me a heap of bent & broken plate from people not taking it easy. Have to get bone to join properly, maybe 6 weeks, but eventually the plate will fail by itself. So best not to push it until bone joined.

Have to keep painkillers going, neck & bicep muscles are what hurt most for some reason. On the road to recovery.

Thanks guys, hopefully this thread will offer some answers/comfort to others taking this path as it has to me. Time to take some more pills & watch Shaun the Sheep. Soon.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Triple Delight
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    So the doc said all went well, there was some evidence that it was starting to heal, but never sure so plated. He said have to take it easy esp as at end of Clavicle there is a lot of leverage. Could show me a heap of bent & broken plate from people not taking it easy. Have to get bone to join properly, maybe 6 weeks, but eventually the plate will fail by itself. So best not to push it until bone joined.
    Hard as that might be listen and do it. Glad you are still happily fuggily. Tramodal is good shit Rest, and heal, and be totally pathetic until it is healed. Sometimes it takes a huge MAN to actually take the advice of a doctor around things like this. May it heal well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gubb View Post
    Nonono,

He rides the Leprachhaun at the end of the Rainbow. Usually goes by the name Anne McMommus

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Uvula

Yeah the thing that hangs down the back of your throat. Well appears may be infected or aggravated or summit. Likely from tube down throat in surgery. Tried few antiseptic &anti inflam washes. Dragging on back of tongue, driving me crazy like a part gag reflex, always there. So after a call to hospital suggested i go see gp today. Sigh, won't anything just heal nice & simple like?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Uvula

Yeah the thing that hangs down the back of your throat. Well appears may be infected or aggravated or summit. Likely from tube down throat in surgery. Tried few antiseptic &anti inflam washes. Dragging on back of tongue, driving me crazy like a part gag reflex, always there. So after a call to hospital suggested i go see gp today. Sigh, won't anything just heal nice & simple like?
    you, like the rest of us, are getting too old for things to heal quickly....

what a ride so far!!!!

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    At least they didn't remove a testicle whilst you were unawares.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    Blog Entries
    I did ask how many people came in with vivid drawn over their body " not this one, this works don't touch, other side etc. . ." Apparently no one according to the young lass with the vivid who only marked one arrow. Figured it wasn't worth the laugh if it was taken the wrong way. might have sewn my wrist to my ankle as a practical joke.

Feeling a bunch better today. One more thing, i was told it all hurt like anything & i guess i was imagining searing bone pain. None of that happened fortunately, but apparently the hip grafts aren't pleasant.

Bike
    Road King
    Blog Entries
    Glad to hear that you are fixed. When they plated my foot I got the withdraw horrors a couple of times and had to go for a small ride, actually managed to push the road king out with one leg in plaster. Phill

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Well I’ve been asked for an update. OK so the Uvula healed slowly with the aid of some spanky mouthwash & antibiotics. . . . Which I formed an allergy for & a rash all over which made me pretty tired & scratchy. Good grief when will this end? I don’t want to be one of ‘those’ people please.

So positive attitude & the check up today.

Scarr is pretty well healed up, muscles a bit tender but every day getting better, looks like plate in good position. Told to come back in 5-6 weeks for x-ray & that will be the It has healed properly tick in the box. See? Positive!

Just until then I can wean myself off the sling & painkillers, but I have to be real careful. Where the plate is, it can bend & break if I do anything silly. So I have to make bone heal before plate gives up. This (bone healing) should easily happen in the 6 weeks.

Only drama is I have a limited range of movement allowed, can’t lift my arm too high or sideways of it really puts pressure on the plate. Also the plate where it is would push against muscle that could damage it. This is because of where the plate is & the type of plate.

So it might be that I can’t dirt ride until the plate is out. That is a real shame, but dirt riding is far more strenuous. I should be able to race by Sept & road ride. May sneak out for a short road ride or two in August.

That I was originally told may be 9-12 months before the plate gets removed, but Doc today said they could start to book it in as soon as bone healed.

Healing is happening & every day it is less painful.

Woot woot!

Bike
    2007 CB900
    Good news there Dave ... keep up the good healing!!!
    Life is a gift that we have all been given. Live life to the full and ensure that you have absolutely no
    regrets.

For your parts needs:

http://www.motorcycleparts.co.nz/

Bike
    good news matey... lucky your "young" eh...

what a ride so far!!!!

Bike
    XZ10R 2006
    Graft sites always hurt when poeople make you laugh,
    cause they cut some of the muscle to get at your hips,
    your lucky there going to take out your plates and stuff
    i still have four plates, 2 k rods, lots of screws wire and stuff
    the art of diplomacy is saying nice doggie,
    until you find a big rock

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Yeah depends where the plate is apparently, mine will continue limiting movement I'm told.

Took the bandage off today, wound looks good, bit sore esp as took the night off painkillers & the muscle is still swollen. Hope that goes down ok.

Every day is better though, almost out of sling except when going for walks.

Thread Information