Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Broken bones; A-weight-ting is the hardest paart

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries

Broken bones; A-weight-ting is the hardest paart

3 months. I hadn’t really gone more than a week without riding a bike since I was 17. 3 bleeding months, it sucks. All for a silly fall on the slowest corner of the track in practise. 6-8 weeks they said for broken clavicle. Yer kiddin! Sheesh.

But 3 months on & it’s still broken.

Now they say they will plate it. But I have to wait for ACC to approve it, maybe 4, 6, perhaps 7 weeks. Private med ins won’t pay unless ACC refuse to pay for it. & then another 6 weeks until it will have mended. I guess it comes out & hopefully there won’t be much recovery time after that.

So cue another 3 months. Have I mentioned this sucks?

Also have to consider how mobile I will be, wife is 1 week overdue eta for our first child. Timing isn’t particularly flash.

How have other people found recovery time after this sort of op? Removing the plate op?
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    2020 ls650 boulevard
    aw hell mate! sorry, cant help with recovery times, but wish you all the best and a speedy recovery. and congrats on the impending sprog! maybe get your wife to ask her midwife if she qualifies for a bit of in-home help during the first few months of babies life. i know parents of multiples can have in home help for x amount of hours per week... might help to lift the pressure a bit.

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    Those Kiddy bikes sure do bite bad at times eh Dave.

Chin up ol' son, just think of all the crazy hot up inventions you'll be able to implement over the upcoming months. I bet your fellow competitors are inwardly smiling at the thought of someone else being able to win a couple of races for once too
    Vote David Bain for MNZ president

Bike
    El Bandito Negro
    Ouch, best wishes

But on the bright side, you have time off to winterize the bikes and strip everything down and add all the go faster bits!
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Oooooo, *sucks teeth* (teeth fall out), at your age, I reckon it'll be years before you can pick your nose properly, but you will have an awesome wrist mounted barometer.

Congrats too, btw. I had no idea. But then I am a lousy person.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    hard luck mate, hope you get all mended soon so we can hear more about that 2smoker of yours!

Bike
    GSX11-tysomething, BMW K100 x2
    Ooooohhhhh boy can I sympathise with you there. Just over three months for me so far and it gets harder and harder...
    Conrats on the baby Dave, well done
    Jay Lawrence #37

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Hey Jay, have been thinking how things were going for you from time to time, hope it all sorts itself out properly for you. I did reflect that maybe I've been a bit whinney, just some times you feel a bit sad for yourself & forget there are others that are doing it tougher.

Bike
    Can Am Spyder RS. 2010
    I used to have a clavicle, never could get the hang of playing it so switched to the trombone.
    Get well soon and congrat's to you and 'er indoors.

Bike
    Baby Gixxer
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    3 months. ... 6-8 weeks they said for broken clavicle. Yer kiddin! Sheesh.

But 3 months on & it’s still broken.

So cue another 3 months. Have I mentioned this sucks?

Also have to consider how mobile I will be, wife is 1 week overdue eta for our first child. Timing isn’t particularly flash.

How have other people found recovery time after this sort of op? Removing the plate op?
    Eeeeeeeekkkkkkkkkk!!! Please don't say scary stuff to me like "3 months". You have my sympathies as I'm recovering from a broken clavicle at the moment. Mind was a clean break across the bone 6 weeks ago and the biggest struggle I've had is with all the muscles in my right shoulder "seizing" and tightening through lack of use. I have waaaaaay more movement in my arm now and will find out in a few days whether the bone has met yet. I did ride my 250 a couple of weekends ago, just to see how my arm would hold up but the doc gave me a bit of an earchewing over it!

Hope you recover well, and all the best for the addition to your family.
    I lahk to moove eet moove eet...

Katman to steveb64
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I'd hate to ever have to admit that my arse had been owned by a Princess.

Bike
    tricolour 1995 Honda VFR
    i did my clavicle last year. It has healed but slightly crooked. I got an osteopath to do her mumbo jumbo stuff to it about 6 weeks after the crash (when I could bear anyone touching it)
    Worked really well and it covered (in part) by ACC. Now have full movement and no issues...

Worked for me, might help you get back up and running sooner
    Deep, deep, deep undercover

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    3 months. I hadn’t really gone more than a week without riding a bike since I was 17. 3 bleeding months, it sucks. All for a silly fall on the slowest corner of the track in practise. 6-8 weeks they said for broken clavicle. Yer kiddin! Sheesh.
    AYE... news just ariving via lost pidgin from the north.
    I never relised you arsed up, well I spose ya do all the time so I paid no attention, when ya do this?

Sprog on the way huh, well dont worry about that SFA you can do anyway and 'wicked' no arse wiping for ya, that motion of removing a nappy is so so painfull on a bust sholder

Best you prepair for the BOB davie, bring the sprog he/she/it can hang out with ours.
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    GSXR450
    Hey Jay, have been thinking how things were going for you from time to time, hope it all sorts itself out properly for you. I did reflect that maybe I've been a bit whinney, just some times you feel a bit sad for yourself & forget there are others that are doing it tougher.

It goes with the Game Dave- shite eh, but that is how it is. It took 23 years of it, before I could be stopped chasing more of it

Good luck dude
    I fear the day technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots! ALBERT EINSTEIN

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    Eeeeeeeekkkkkkkkkk!!! Please don't say scary stuff to me like "3 months". You have my sympathies as I'm recovering from a broken clavicle at the moment. Mind was a clean break across the bone 6 weeks ago and the biggest struggle I've had is with all the muscles in my right shoulder "seizing" and tightening through lack of use. I have waaaaaay more movement in my arm now and will find out in a few days whether the bone has met yet. I did ride my 250 a couple of weekends ago, just to see how my arm would hold up but the doc gave me a bit of an earchewing over it!

Hope you recover well, and all the best for the addition to your family.
    Good luck with the x-ray. If you've been able to ride chances are you are ok now, lucky wench. But it can take another 6 weeks for the bones to harden fully I understand so don't stress them prematurely, you don't want to rebreak them while healing or they can become a long term problem. A friend said it was 9 months before he could ride his dirtbike after trying to early.

Bike
    Blog Entries

Recovery after plating

Hi

So who has had a plate in? & how long did it take to recover?

I now have ACC approval so should be on the waiting list.

How long to recover from surgery?

Thread Information