Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Honda VT250 problems, help (Ch-ch)

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    With a vacuum line involved, the fuel tap MUST have a Prime position
    the res may double as a prime as well perhaps?

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    I doubt it. With a vacuum operated tap why have a manual off? And reserve is just that. It draws fuel from lower in the tank
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    1983 honda vt250
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    there is on finicky thing about it, theres two places where the vacuum hose can attach to, on is wrong and wont open the valve. But it sounds like your tap fell off from the manifold end so that shouldnt be a problem. Youre probly gonn have to pull the fuel hose to the craby off to check whether fuel is flowing
    the manual says once the fuel line is disconnected from the carb

turn the valve on and check for flowing fuel
    if the fuel flow stops , the automatic fuel valve is operating correctly, if the fuel does not stop then clean the fuel valve,

ok then after that i need to somehow blow air through the hose and if fuel comes out then its good, if not its blocked

Bike
    1983 honda vt250
    Quote Originally Posted by mstrs View Post
    i doubt it. With a vacuum operated tap why have a manual off? And reserve is just that. It draws fuel from lower in the tank
    yeah that makes sense waht you say,
    are you thinking off is prime>>>???

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    actually no i think about it i had to manualy generate a vacume to get fuel to flow, there is no prime on it. My kr1 was the one that had a prime

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Quote Originally Posted by vt250 View Post
    the manual says once the fuel line is disconnected from the carb

turn the valve on and check for flowing fuel
    if the fuel flow stops , the automatic fuel valve is operating correctly, if the fuel does not stop then clean the fuel valve,

ok then after that i need to somehow blow air through the hose and if fuel comes out then its good, if not its blocked
    yeh, you need to pull off the fuel hose (big one) from the carb and check if fuel flows, then pull off the little vaccum hose that fell off and generate a vaccum in it (suction rather than blow) and fuel should start to piss out everywhere from the large hose

Bike
    1983 honda vt250
    actually no i think about it i had to manualy generate a vacume to get fuel to flow, there is no prime on it. My kr1 was the one that had a prime
    and how did you manually generate it??

Bike
    1983 honda vt250
    yeh, you need to pull off the fuel hose (big one) from the carb and check if fuel flows, then pull off the little vaccum hose that fell off and generate a vaccum in it (suction rather than blow) and fuel should start to piss out everywhere from the large hose
    wouldnt i blow from the engine side of the tube

Bike
    -
    wouldnt i blow from the engine side of the tube
    No you need to suck -- the hose goes to the intake manifold, which is at lower pressure than outside due to the engine sucking fuel/air through the carb.

Bike
    This is a Yamaha Radian...same sort of set-up...
    There IS no OFF position, because when the engine is not going, the fuel tap is effectively off.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mini-DSC01886.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	128167  
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    1983 honda vt250
    fucks sake im getting frustrated, thanks for your help guys, but what does the fuel hose look like going into the carburator

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    fuel hose that goes into the carby is the one coming out of the back of the fuel tap (when looking at it from the side of the bike) and goes almost directly back into the carbys, pulling it off from the tap end is probably easiest.

I prefer to generate vacuum using a syringe, but if you dont have one just suck on the hose

It is a weird setup with no prime setting on the tap, but it definetely doesnt have a prime setting unfortunately
    Last edited by bogan; 2nd May 2009 at 16:52. Reason: cocked up spelling

Bike

It is a weird setup with no prime setting on the tap, but it definetely doesnt have a prime setting unfortunately
    Well, don't that just beat all? Early days of the vacuum system, before someone clever came along and fixed it?
    In this case then, one would have to prime the carbs by sucking on the vacuum hose for a reasonable length of time and then refit the end to the inlet manifold tube, before attempting to start the bike. Ridiculous.

Bike
    fucks sake im getting frustrated, thanks for your help guys, but what does the fuel hose look like going into the carburator
    Forget that end. They can be hard to get at, in some cases. Instead, try Supercheap who should have a selection of different size hoses. Take your old vacuum hose to check you get the right inside diameter. Get a longer length than needed. Fit one end to the fuel tap, pop off the fuel hose at the tap and, with it set to Reserve (cos you may be at that point petrol-wise), suck on the vacuum hose. If fuel flows out of the back of the tap, you are on the way to sorting it. Put the fuel hose back on the tap. Again, suck on the vacuum hose for (awhile). Cut off the excess length to suit and fit to the tube on the inlet manifold. Pray to your god, and hit the starter....

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    if youre at supercheap, pick up a syringe (pretty sure they have them or something similar) then you can just create a vacuum with the syringe and clamp it in position, thus eliminating the need to suck on a hose for 10mins

Thread Information