Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Careless driving charge! Help

Bike
    1997 Harley Sportster 'S' and BOTB sx
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston001 View Post
    Diversion is fine BUT it requires you to fully accept the charge, recognise you were in the wrong, apologise, offer reparation to the other motorists etc. So it's a one-way process. You can't argue a defence because that means you don't accept being guilty.

Very rarely you might be able to prove negligence by a council/Transit but that's only going to help with paying for repairs. And I think they are protected from liability by law - otherwise the courts would be full of cases against roading operators and contractors.

However a fault in the road would provide you with a defence - the problem is proving it.

Fair comment but accidents do happen. It could even be a fault with the bike - but you need expert evidence to persuade the court.
    Stuff it, own up and stop blaming the SYSTEM.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper, the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes!

Bike
    ZZR1100 D7
    Quote Originally Posted by jono035 View Post
    Hi, any updates to the story? Would be interested to know how court date went...
    I was wondering that too.

Bike
    Crashed it.
    No internet in the cell he's sharing with Bubba... or maybe he's just 'pre-occupied"...
    If it wasn't for a concise set of rules, we might have to resort to common sense!

Bike
    tedium
    Quote Originally Posted by z99 View Post
    First time gt the "careless driving charge 37(1)" NOt to sure what too do..should i pay some lawers?or just use a free duty lawer out side the court?
    You my son, are fucked

Even when lawyered up, you're very unlikely to get off a careless driving charge. It's a real catch-all charge. Don't waste the court's time. Plead guilty, write a nice explanation letter explaining any mitigating circumstances and explain how sorry you are for the injuries, damage, distress and wasted police time you've caused. You're unlikey to loose your license.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickha
    Fuck off, cheese has no place in pies
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle
    i would could and can, put a fat fuck down with a bit of brass.

Bike
    HD Sportster
    Quote Originally Posted by renegade master View Post
    Loss of licence is up to the court. Its a min $400 fine.
    Now maybe ??,but in 99 I walked out with a $380 bill all up including costs for careless.
    These things seem to constantly change for some reason.

Bike
    696 Ducati
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Preload View Post
    Are you taking kidding? It's such a pissy non-event it's not even worth worrying about.
    I really don't understand, would it not be up to the people driving the vehicle that was coming the other way to make the charge. And an accident occurs for reasons beyond a lot of peoples control, regardless if 10 riders went through it or not, it could have just been a accident waiting to happen and A. happened to be the unfortunate person, possible not concentrating that day, I see it only as a accident, and being charged by the police is a waste of tax payers money... hope that the price you may have paid was not to severe, and your recovering well.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston001 View Post
    If I was you defending the charge, I'd find a mature credible motorcyclist to give supporting evidence about tankslappers. I've just seen a case where the Court was told sliders were used on racing bikes - which implied the dead bike rider had been speeding and did so regularly. No one in the court knew any better and so it was accepted.
    Is there such a thing as a motorcycle lawyer!!!!

Bike
    02 Ducati ST4s
    Quote Originally Posted by P38 View Post
    You could always do what lots of good Kiwi's have done before you.

Jump the ditch .... head for Queensland or the NT.

Change your name

Get a job in the outback.

But remember if you take this option you can never come home again.
    the mass intelligence for bot countries goes up by do this... its a good move for both...

Bike
    1995 Suzuki Volty (TU250)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by popelli View Post
    it was careless use causing injury that I was charged with

obviously the law has changed in the 25 plus years since I got charged
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    Yeah I've only ever managed to injure myself!!
    Quote Originally Posted by marty View Post
    injuring yourself does meet the ingredients of the offence, but a cop would be roundly criticised by O/C prosecutions for charging careless injury on a single car (injury to driver) crash.

i know this for a fact - i tried it.
    Interesting. A woman I worked with (many years ago now) crashed her car in heavy rain and really bad driving conditions. She was doing less than the speed limit (100kph zone) but somehow managed to go off the road and flip her car over. Hers was the only vehicle involved - it was written off and she was lucky to come out of it with just a sprained ankle.

Anyway, she got charged with careless driving causing injury - even though she only injured herself!

I don't remember a lot of details about the incident but I do remember my reaction:
    1) surprised that you could be charged for accidentally injuring yourself
    2) thinking she probably got this charge due to her very arrogant attitude and that she probably deserved it!
    There is no such thing as bad weather; only inappropriate clothing!

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by klingon View Post
    I

Anyway, she got charged with careless driving causing injury - even though she only injured herself!
    I find THAT a tad hard to believe..
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    As I say, it was a few years ago now but it's the kind of thing that sticks in your mind so I'm sure I'm not mistaken.

Really though, you need to meet this woman to appreciate it - she was extremely arrogant and probably started accusing the police officer of something-or-other and somehow blaming him for the state of her car. She also would have been rude to the ambos and told them it was all their fault too.

She was one of those people who really rubs people up the wrong way and thinks she knows it all while not taking any responsibility for her own actions.

If I had been one of the polices attending the scene I probably would have charged her with every possible thing in my little book of words.

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    I believe it a guy, I went to school with crashed and broke his arm and was charged with the same, this would have been back about 89-90 though
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    I believe it a guy, I went to school with crashed and broke his arm and was charged with the same, this would have been back about 89-90 though
    Yeah the incident I'm thinking of would have been in the early 90s. Maybe it was the same cop...

Bike
    Triple Delight
    Yeah the incident I'm thinking of would have been in the early 90s. Maybe it was the same cop...
    I dont know of this incident, but I do know of one where a 20 year old girl lost control of her car, on one of the blackest corners, on one of the blackest portions of road in NZ (no exageration, I am talking Dome Valley here), about 9pm at night, on a truely filthy weatherwise night, on her way home from her mid semester break part time job. She was heading north and lost control of her car. Destroyed the car and thankfully was not badly injured. Ambulance, along with Fire and Police were called and she did receive roadside care.

She received a careless driving charge that she was found guily in court. She sadly forgot to let her other mother know about this till after the fact.

The cost to her. A fine and some time off the road. The ability to insure any vehicle ever again till she reached the age of 25 and even then it is very expensive for her.

It happens. Single vehicle accidents, with single people injured can and most certainly do end up in court with a careless charge attached
    Quote Originally Posted by Gubb View Post
    Nonono,

He rides the Leprachhaun at the end of the Rainbow. Usually goes by the name Anne McMommus

Bike
    Hornetto - No Boring Bits!, KDX200
    oh heck yeah, the cops will show up and charge willy nilly alright...
    Mate of mine had a spill on the motorway, avoided going up the back of a car, swerved a bit much, ended up sliding and rolling. His bike slid on its side and touched the bumper of a car in front. $12k of damage to a $5k bike, and he was the only one hurt (turned down the three ambo's that stopped)
    There was seriously a light dent on the bumper of the car, you had to get down on the ground and look up to see where the bike had slid and the front tire touched their bumper.

Cops showed up (no less than 5 cars. Must have been a boring day, one of them said he "just stopped to stretch his legs", had a laugh at the state of the bike, and got back in his car). Charged him with failing to stop and following too close.
    Well he wasnt following too close, and had plenty of room to stop... Just not enough room to SLIDE to a stop!
    Naturally he took care of fixing the minimal cosmetics damage to the car, and sorted himself out for bike and gear, yet the cops still felt the need to slap a ticket on top.
    IT'S PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME!!!
    Do the peanut butter jelly, peanut butter jelly, peanut butter jelly with a baseball bat!

Bike
    1993 Yamaha Zeal 250
    Hey Guys< I got confirm today, I got DIVERSION .the police dropped the charge, sorry for the late reply. I’ve been waiting for this result for a long time.
    And I will post some helpful information later which my lawyer gave me to help me get this DIVERSION.
    And just let you guys know
    1. Yes you can get the DIVERSION for first time carless driving.
    2. Some of the duty lawyer doesn’t really know anything, they told me I won’t get it for driving charge until I show those information and example on paper which my lawyer gave to me.
    They went to check with the court, and then I got it.......Lucky I did lot home works.

Thank you for your all.

Thread Information